Walking/Running Toggle Revert Fix

thedisgrace

Skyrim has a quirk where if you are holding your Shift key (default for speed adjustment) while performing some action such as changing cells, it will swap your speed.

For example, if your default speed is Fast, and you hold shift to walk up to and activate a door to a house, when you load into that cell, your default speed swaps to Walk, and holding shift will make you move fast.

This can also get swapped when loading a game. It doesn't always happen. But it does happen.

This is frustrating. Especially for stealthy characters, where movement speed can mean the difference between being noticed or not.

I also don't know if there's a feasible way to fix it. However, I've seen mods fix some issues I thought would be impossible to fix, so I thought I'd just throw it out there for anyone who might have an idea.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by thedisgrace

This is an irritating issue.

I think the problem is that the game knows you were running or walking before you were interrupted, transitioned, etc And when your controls are freed up again it reverts you back to the state you were in. Despite that you were in that state by pressing the shift key to temporarily toggle the movement speed.

Only thing I've found to do is make a quick forward movement and if it is wrong tap the key that is set to switch the in session default between run & walk.

I wonder if a SKSE based script could be developed to sense when the shift key or whatever the player is using to temporarily change movement speed is depressed and held. When it is maybe it could set a global variable. The perhaps an update cycle or an OnLoad event or something could if that global variable is set to a certain value adjust the movement speed some how.

I'd image that checking the SpeedMult actor value would be necessary both when the key is depressed and when not depressed so that it could be swapped to the appropriate value.

But that's just theory. Someone else will need to try and put it into practice.

A script that kept track would be ideal, definitely.

Easier than trying to track what the player was pressing, might be creating a new script with its own button using MCM. Replace your toggle button with it. The new button would toggle your speed and save it in the script.

The script would then run after every action/conversation/load/transition, and set your speed to whatever you had toggled it to previously, whether the game had swapped it on your or not.

Basically doing the job that the default should be doing.

Edited by thedisgrace