kyu1595

Skyrim HD 2K shouldn't be on the list of mods you have at the bottom.

The HD DLC is far worse than the 2K mod as it uses up more vram, increases loading times, and makes the game stutter for little to no beneficial visual gain.

The 2K texture mods are not the vanilla textures in a higher resolution like the HD DLC. They are custom textures at 2K and 4K resolutions that aren't as taxing on the vram as the HD DLC is.

I personally don't use the HD DLC. Instead I use a wide variety of texture mods for my needs and my vram usage still isn't as high as when I use purely the HD DLC.

Everything else seems good, but I have to say BOSS sometimes doesn't order mods in the correct way. So when installing mods, check the description because some modders tell you whether or not their mods should be at the bottom, or near the top of the load order. BOSS should only be used as a starting point, and not something to depend on =)

The speed up scripts/mods tip worked for me. Thanks for the info as I have been quite stumped as to what my issue with CTD was. To possibly help others this fix helped with very random and numerous CTDs that likely pertain to the limited resources Skyrim pulls from and/or is limited to. It appears that if you have numerous mods, I use 87 atm, and are certain your PC can handle your setup and is running the mods in the correct order this may be the fix you're looking for.

Edited by XeroBeing

• 9 months later...

This should be PINNED in the Mod trouble shooting section...Found this searching Google for mods to avoid...lol I hope this does not get me in trouble for posting in an old thread but really this should be in mods help.

Also going to try to contact the Author of the thread (to post this in the Mods troubleshooting section)

...closes eyes and ...Click

Yeah, good guide, but a few things definitely seem like "personal opinion" and should be marked as such. Deadly Combat may be old, but it works, and does things other combat overhauls do not. HD 2K textures again are fine to use and definitely an improvement on the official DLC textures, I hear tons of people using Hypothermia as a lighter alternative to Frostfall with no issue, and why in the world would you replace Better Magic with SkyRe? I know little about the former, but even if it is broken/outdated, SkyRe does a lot more than just overhaul magic and is definitely not the best choice for someone looking for a straight upgrade from Better Magic.

Deadly combat has not been updated to the latest version of skyrim. So it definitely could have a few bugs in them. Skyrim redone and duel combat realism can do similar things, and have been updated more recently. So deadly combat as a rule of thumb isn't safe to use. It may work, but then again the worry is: you never know.

Again, this is about performance. having a user made mod of 2k graphics over Bethesda's high resolution dlc(which has very impressive graphics nonetheless) is going to kill your performance.

I have no issue with hypothermia. at the time better magic was no longer supported, since patch 1.4 ish. We were at patch 1.9 and much of it was broken. There were literally no good alternatives besides skyre

• 2 years later...