Extreme GPU Temperature

ManOWhile

So I used Skyrim Performance Monitor and SpeedFan today and I got a shock... my GPU usage is at 99% (which is not bad on its own) but the Temperature of my GPU skyrocks to 102 Celsius which is harmfull I think.

My PC is quite old (about 3 years) and my because budget is quite low I tweaked every game i play so that it runs fine and it never did harm to my PC I checked all other Games i have installed for Temerature issues but it never got over 80 Celsius just in Skyrim... and I played it way over 200 hours but my GPU didnt melt.

I use a ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, 4gb RAM , AMD Phenom II X3 710 Processor 2.60 GHz and

Vista (I know...)

So I hope someone here could help me and/or explain me why there is such a high temperature and what I can do against that.

That temp is too high. You should stay below 80 C or your PCB might damage when used under long periods (and that means bye bye)...

Since your card is old, you should open your PC, take out the card, make sure you dust it off, pref. with pressured air (don't use a vacuum cleaner, thx). You might have to take off the cooler and re-apply thermal paste.. (if your coolers didn't come with thermal pads, that is).

Skyrim makes everything hot ... especially in summer (it's 31 C now in my room - and it's 1:30 AM ><).... It's a very taxing game.