Windows 8.1 - killed Skyrim & NMM

waxercat

Are there any reported issues with Windows 8.1 or Skyrim in general where the game will not run unless it is set to the current resolution of the monitor?

My monitor is running at its native resolution of 2560x1440, but with ENB this kills the video card. When launching the game now (and I am not sure the exact time of this issue having started), the game will crash right before showing the menu options on game launch (as in after the Beth-Soft logo, while the Imperial Sigil is shown).

I noticed that this was because I had my game set to 1920x1080 in full-screen. These issues do not present in Windowed mode, nor do they happen if I change the monitor resolution to 1920x1080 and then launch the game. While just changing the monitor resolution before launching the game isn't a huge issue, I was wondering if anyone else knew what the heck was going on.

Since I recently switched to Windows 8.1, I thought it might be relevant to this topic.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to chime in. Updated to 8.1 two days ago.

Skyrim, and all my other games, are running great.

EXCEPT WITH ENB >v0.188 ENABLED.

I'm not sure if it's 8.1 causing the issue(it's related to the d3d9.dll, I think), or the 326.01 day 0 Nvidia drivers. the only d3d9.dll that won't crash the game is the newest -0.188, but there's no (good) presets out for it. I tried dropping it in with my favorite 0.153 preset, and it sort of worked, but things were off, shadows were pitch black and nights the same.

Soooo I have to play Skyrim like a caveman now. I don't imagine it'll be anything less than weeks pass before this issue is fixed, either on the driver side or the enb side.

BUT I'm not rolling back. Cause f*#@ that.

I have been holding back on Win8 - I thought the first patch (now being hyped as Win8.1) would probably fix many of the early problems that every version of windows has seen. Now, with the new problems that 8,1 seems to be piling on, I think I may wait even longer. MS seems to want to change the direction of Windows with this one - As near as I can see that means making it force a smart phone type interface on a desktop and taking away a lot of the customization we had. And trying a me too 'store' type of site to download pre approved 'apps' - just like the smart phone and tablet people did that made them so much money.

I did manage to avoid Vista altogether, And don't regret that decision at all. Maybe I'll wait to see what Win9 looks like.

Windows 8.1 (i.e. Windows Blue) will come as a service pack update and automatically download unless you turn 'auto-update' off. That is why my desktop is dual boot and Skyrim is loaded under Win 7. My ROG laptop though is Win 8 so I will use it as the compatibility test bed.

• 5 weeks later...

I have windows 8.1 and although I just installed skyrim legendary edition and am modding it currently. I have Nexus mod manager, Fallout 3, Vanilla Oblivion, and Morrowind + some other games. And they work fine. I have some issues here and there but nothing that wasn't easily fixed. I had more trouble when it was just Win 8. But that may have had to do with the mods I had. Theres a skyrim mod that I cant remember the name of but it supposedly fixes x64 and windows problems with skyrim also increasing the memory able to use so maybe search on nexus for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently bought a brand new laptop, right before Win 8.1 came out. I was in the process of transferring my stuff from my old laptop (also Win 8, but with a Radeon graphics card) to the new one, and installing Win 8.1 as well. Well, the old laptop still plays Skyrim in Win 8.1 (with the AMD graphics card), but the new one (with NVidia and Intel Graphics in it) keeps telling me it failed to initialize the renderer. If I disable one graphics card or the other, I can get Skyrim to run, at about 1 FPS, which is unacceptable.

I think the problem is between Win 8.1, NVidia graphics cards (mine's a 740M), and Intel Graphics (4000).

While both laptops were running Win 8, Skyrim ran fine. Now, I can only play it on the older, slower machine thanks to the AMD graphics card.

I hope this information helps people as we try to troubleshoot this thing. This link may offer a solution, which I can't yet vouch for, but I intend to try it out this evening: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/windows-81-issue/b8597d46-c85a-47d6-87e6-48d6fcaa6742

You need to delete or rename your old Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini in your documents\games\skyrim folder and have Steam regenerate them.

Nope, that didn't work. I'm having a hell of a time attempting to update my NVIDIA driver, which I hope will fix this, but so far I'm having no luck with it. My computer insists it's running the latest driver; NVIDIA's website seems to think otherwise. The only way I can get Skyrim to run is to disable either the Intel card or the NVIDIA one; neither solution results in more than about 5 fps, so that's not really a solution.

Wish I had seen this before I just upgraded to Windows 8.1. Sigh, I can get Skyrim to start but everything is in 3D form without the glasses. Red and Blue all over the place. I'm going to try updating my GeForce with the drivers and see if that fixes it. If not, it's back to Windows 8 for me. I feel like I've wasted half the day on this already.

I'll let you know if it worked.]

An update: Getting the different driver did fix my problem but my advice is don't update to 8.1 until you have to. This was a pain.