Windows 8.1 - killed Skyrim & NMM

waxercat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem running an ENB with 8.1. Windows 8.1, for me, has provided improved gameplay, including a slight increase in FPS. My ENB (E ENB) looks fantastic and runs very smooth. I am using the latest Nvidia drivers 331.58.

My Specs:

ASUS ROG Laptop

I7-3830m 2.40ghz

Nvidia 670m 3gb

16 gb Ram

I report my experience with Windows 8.1, it may be helpful for some users:

after updating to 8.1, Skyrim didn't load a savegame (looked like infinte loading, while normally took seconds, so I always needed to type Alt+Tab some times). After loaded the game, the fps was horrible, even whit minimal graphic settings (eg, using 'teofis' console command). Other games, like Shogun 2, didn't even open.

After an hour of cheating on "compatibility options" (with no success), I discovered that, for some reason, Win 8.1 had decided to set the Intel HD integrated GPU as default GPU for all application, instead of the dedicated Nvidia GT650. I reset the dedicated GPU as default GPU, an the problem was solved.

In conclusion, if someone had similar issues, this may be a way to fix them, especially if you're having it on a notebook like me (Dell Inspiron 15R customized). To set the default GPU, right click on Skyrim (or any other game/program with high graphic requirements, and choose "Launch with GPU..." (my OS is in Italian, so I don't know the corresponding message in English). In the second level menu, you should be able to open a control panel for setting the default GPU). This night (GMT+1) I'll take a look and add more details, an a screenshot.

I report my experience with Windows 8.1, it may be helpful for some users. This night (GMT+1) I'll take a look and add more details, an a screenshot.

So, you must right click on the Skyrim icon, select "Run with graphic processor..." (or something like that), then "Change dafault graphic processor". It should open a new configuration window. For me, it opened Nvidia cotrol center; in this case, you can choose which GPU should be used for the graphic-hungry apps.

Be well. :laugh:

I'm running windows 8.1 pro 32bit with 2Gb RAM (1.85Gb available for OS) with HD Graphic 2000 (Intel on CPU graphic, with newest driver from Intel although it's recommend that using driver customized from the PC manufacture.) at lowest setting, resolution @1064:600 and sh*t load of mods that do have .esp/esm files, just few more files to 255 limit + (firewall & anti-virus & HD audio manager & Logitech Mouse-keyboard manager). lol

Skyrim still playable and i've 3 follower with me, run fine with or without enboost. lol

I'm dual run XP and windows 8 (up to 8.1 after 8.1 rtm was out for a month) for me Skyrim run faster with few more fps on 8/8.1 compare to XP.

Edited by ShionKT

I moved all my games from old laptop with Win7 to the new better one Win8.1. This is when my troubles started. BF3 worked after some changes here and there, and other games worked fine even by just copying folders, but NMM is giving me very bad problems. When I update mods information and search for updates, I always get this message now.

Tracing an Unhandled Exception:
Exception:
Access to the path 'C:\Users\rody\AppData\Local\Temp\BBLS_CDR_ResolutionReducer_0_5k-24340-1-1.7z.zip.~' is denied.
Full Trace:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\rody\AppData\Local\Temp\BBLS_CDR_ResolutionReducer_0_5k-24340-1-1.7z.zip.~' is denied.
I saw this type of error from VC in Win8. People are complaining of this type of error "Access to path Temp is denied". I could not find a solution. I am thinking of updating NMM to the new version, did anyone try it yet?

Will try some things tonight, but wanted to forewarn other adventurous types... I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took windows 8.1 in the knee... :-(

If you're having a better experience or have fixed it, please let me know here..

I'm afraid not, my experience was pretty much similar to yours. Only it was an arrow to the head.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1188678-skyrim-will-not-run-in-windows-81/

Newbie to the forums here, I upgraded to 8.1 last night, Tried launching skyrim via SKSE to no avail. Came home with hopes someone could help. I am getting the skyrim has stopped working error. Never had any problems before of this sort, Here are my specs and modlist,

GPU: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2gb ddr5

CPU: Intel i5 3470k quad @ 3.20ghz

SSD: Samsung 840 pro 128gb

MB: P8Z77-m Asus motherboard

RAM: 8GB Gskill DDR 1600mhz 2x4gb

Skyrim

update

dawnguard

dragonborn

apachiihair

skyrimprojectoptimization

Highrestexturepack

fixedeyeadaptation

dawnguardpatch

dragonbornpatch

bijinwarmaidens cbbe

enb snow fx

enb weather

enhanced dynamic weather system

PhinixENB

Further dark dungeons for enb

malukah intro song

SMIM

better embers

bigger and boulder

caliente vanilla armours

lush trees

lush grass

oblivious horses

shootingstars

skyrim flora overhaul

smoking torches

SKYui

coolitems

LOTR weapon pack

jack of blades armour and weapons

And the realms of the deadra

moonpath to elsweyr

wyrmstooth

wyrmstooth travel hotfix

island fast travel

Skyrim follower overhaul+ dragonborn patch

enhanced blood textures + patches

terrain bump

unread books glow

Sounds of skyrim the wilds

Realistic lighting overhaul

Saturation booster

the dance of death

ultimate follower overhaul

blaze of eventide

Realistic water 2 + patches

get wet

improved light spells and torches

hd dragon replacer

xenius character enhancement + HD scars

project ENB

Skyrim HD 2k full

ultimate hd fire effects

Sorry for the long list =P hope it helps in some way I could really use a solution to this, trying to finish playing the game all the way with sidequests!

Edited by andy18s

• 4 weeks later...

Fallout 3 is incompatible also. I think that microsoft is losing it. I'm not going to upgrade. Can anyone tell me where I can get an official version of Windows 7? It seems that this is the best version for modders and gamers. I am fairly new to modding but the bug has bitten me and I am hooked now so I want to continue modding and learning more about modding. Also any recomendations to help me learn more would be appreciated. I have the FO3Edit manual and have been reading that. But I have seen some software on Nexus that seems to point one in this direction also but in a mod form. Well thanks all.

Make sure you run the upgrade assistant if you plan on upgrading anyway!