Please help! Skyrim crashes?

adriane13

So, I have mods, but I haven't gotten many crashes until now. Check my other post here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1036789-skyrim-v-crashes-please-help/ to see the mods I have then post HERE not on that post. I crash when I fast travel and when i change genders in the character making screen. SO PLEASE HELP!

I don't see any potential conflicts from the mods you have listed. However, it would really help to know the specs of your PC instead of just that it's a Sony Vaio. How much ram and vram do you have? Do your specs meet the minimum requirements? Do you have a good or decent video card? Regardless, I have a couple suggestions that might help.

1. Download Optimizer Texture from Nexus. Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12801//?. I see that you have Skyrim HD textures along with a couple other texture replacers and if you don't have that much memory there is a good chance that your computer is quickly hitting its limit and that that is causing the crash. Running the texture optimizer will help reduce the size of the textures in your texture folder without losing much if any of the quality which could help with the crashes. I wouldn't, however, recommend using it to optimize BSA files as that can cause other problems.

2. Enhanced Blood Textures is one of the best, if the not the best in my opinion, for blood textures, but it has been known to cause crashes. Try disabling that and see if it makes a difference.

3. There are a couple other things you can do to improve Skyrim's stability and it's performance. Colorful lights - No Shadows- More FPS with removes shadows inside buildings, increasing your framerate, and reducing the load on your computer while using lighting techniques to make up for the lack of shadows. Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10789/?.

Skyrim Project Optimization is another mod that helps to greatly improve performance in interiors. Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32505//?.

Skyrim Performance Plus helps to improve stability and FPS outside by lowering the resolution of four of most taxing things on your system; falling pine needles, falling aspen leaves, snow, and rain. It gives you the option to chose how low a resolution you want to go or to just disable those things completely and it works wonders.

4. There are a few mods on your list that I don't recognize. Castle Mendoza. Swift Steeds Replacer. Airdale Dog Replacer. Mounted Followers. It might be helpful to go onto the nexus page for each of those mods, read through a few pages of comments, and see if anyone has reported that particular mod causing crashes. If so, disable that one and see if that eliminates your crashes.

If I knew more about your computer I might be able to help more and offer more suggestions. You could also check out Game Booster, FPS Booster, and, especially CleanMem which not only helps to reduce Skyrim crashes, but keeps your PC running better as well.

I really hope one of these gets rid of those crashes. I've been trying to get my game stable with all the mods I want for over six months and I've just recently gotten there so I feel your frustration. If you need anymore help I'll be happy to do what I can.

Good luck!

I don't see any potential conflicts from the mods you have listed. However, it would really help to know the specs of your PC instead of just that it's a Sony Vaio. How much ram and vram do you have? Do your specs meet the minimum requirements? Do you have a good or decent video card? Regardless, I have a couple suggestions that might help.

1. Download Optimizer Texture from Nexus. Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12801//?. I see that you have Skyrim HD textures along with a couple other texture replacers and if you don't have that much memory there is a good chance that your computer is quickly hitting its limit and that that is causing the crash. Running the texture optimizer will help reduce the size of the textures in your texture folder without losing much if any of the quality which could help with the crashes. I wouldn't, however, recommend using it to optimize BSA files as that can cause other problems.

2. Enhanced Blood Textures is one of the best, if the not the best in my opinion, for blood textures, but it has been known to cause crashes. Try disabling that and see if it makes a difference.

3. There are a couple other things you can do to improve Skyrim's stability and it's performance. Colorful lights - No Shadows- More FPS with removes shadows inside buildings, increasing your framerate, and reducing the load on your computer while using lighting techniques to make up for the lack of shadows. Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10789/?.

Skyrim Project Optimization is another mod that helps to greatly improve performance in interiors. Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32505//?.

Skyrim Performance Plus helps to improve stability and FPS outside by lowering the resolution of four of most taxing things on your system; falling pine needles, falling aspen leaves, snow, and rain. It gives you the option to chose how low a resolution you want to go or to just disable those things completely and it works wonders.

4. There are a few mods on your list that I don't recognize. Castle Mendoza. Swift Steeds Replacer. Airdale Dog Replacer. Mounted Followers. It might be helpful to go onto the nexus page for each of those mods, read through a few pages of comments, and see if anyone has reported that particular mod causing crashes. If so, disable that one and see if that eliminates your crashes.

If I knew more about your computer I might be able to help more and offer more suggestions. You could also check out Game Booster, FPS Booster, and, especially CleanMem which not only helps to reduce Skyrim crashes, but keeps your PC running better as well.

I really hope one of these gets rid of those crashes. I've been trying to get my game stable with all the mods I want for over six months and I've just recently gotten there so I feel your frustration. If you need anymore help I'll be happy to do what I can.

Good luck!

Well the thing is, my crashes started yesterday. I've had mods for a few days now. But yesterday I finally got SKSE and SkyUI to work. I tried running the game without skse and there were still crashes. But I'll try your Optimizer.

I also had a lot of problems starting yesterday - and if was after I installed the new SKSE and SkyUI.

Does the new SkyUI use up more RAM than the older one?

I just heard about the 3GB limit in Skyrim. And I noticed the CTD or hanging for me seems to happen after I've been sorting through my excessive inventory and looking at custom clothing and armor mods with high resolution textures.

It seems like that, plus my using the SkyUI hot keys to change gear, and then a fast travel, and I crash.

@Adriane13: Alright, let me know if it works. If not, I'll try to come up with some other suggestions that might help. Although, I did just think of something else last night. The opening sequence of Skyrim from the moment you first get off the cart to when you finally exit Helgen tends to be very buggy. For example, you could have twenty mods running that don't cause crashes once you get past Helgen, but those same mods might cause crashes during that opening sequence. Unless you have any mods that alter your character appearance that you'd like to see while you make your character, it would be worth a shot to just disable, not uninstall, but just disable your mods until you get past Helgen. Then enable them after that and see if your crashes are gone. It couldn't hurt to at least try that.

@Itknight88: The new SkyUI shouldn't use up more RAM than the older one. Are you certain that you installed SKSE correctly? I messed up on the install once because the latest SKSE had a different install method than the old one and I had constant crashes until I uninstalled and reinstalled it correctly from scratch. I've had the same problem with freezing when trying to equip and/or look at custom clothing and armor. It hasn't happened since I ran the texture optimizer. That might be something worth checking into for you as well and see if it makes a difference. See link above in previous post.

I've never used the SkyUI hot keys to change gear so unfortunately I can't help you there. When you say you fast travel and then crash, do you mean you crash during the loading screen or after you've reached the location you've fast traveled to? If you crash during the loading screen there is an awesome mod that removes the loading screen smoke and has eliminated all loading screen freezes/crashes for me. Could be worth a shot. Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/7901/?

Thanks Layia28 ! I will try that out tonight.

for SKSE - this time I used the installer that it came with. But I'm on a windows 8 PC so maybe I should try uninstalling and re-installing it.

That texture optimizer sounds good.

And I think the crash is during the loading screen. It makes the sounds like I arrive at the destination, but the screen stays dark or on the loading screen. I have to physically reboot my computer (and I'm worried that is not good for it).

BUT - when I go to load my latest save game - I'll have an auto-save at the destination.

Thanks for taking the time to help and post the links!

Edited by ltknight88

You're welcome. XD

Hmm, I've never used the installer that came with it. I just read the instructions that should be listed on that page and it's fairly simple. When you download the latest version, and click to open the rar file, there should be three files that start with skse: skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_loader.exe, and skse_steam_loader.dll and you extract those into the Skyrim folder, where TESV.exe is located. Then open data folder, then the scripts folder. Extract everything in the script folder that ends in .pex into the scripts folder located steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/data/scripts. Then extract everything in the source folder that ends in .psc into the source folder located steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/data/scripts/source. And done, SKSE is properly installed. I have Windows 7, but the method should be the same.

The crash sounds to me like your computer might be having trouble opening a large area, which is why it makes the sound like you've arrived, but then goes black. It's freezing because it can't handle it. I'm not sure what kind of computer you have and what your specs are, but that's what it sounds like to me. The texture optimizer should help with that and the removal of smoke on the loading screens should eliminate most if not all of those freezes you're experiencing.

You're more than welcome. I spent a very long time trying to get my game stable with the mods I want installed and with a fast fps along with an ENB and I've just recently accomplished that. I know firsthand what it's like trying to reach that point and I was lucky enough to have some great people on nexus and on these forums help me out along the way. Now that I have my game at a good place I just want to do the same for other people who are having trouble. :biggrin:

@Adriane13: I just thought of another solution for your crashes. I can't believe I didn't think of it before. You're running SG hair pack female and when there are too many hair options during character creation it causes crashes. There is a mod that allows you to have as many hair packs as you want without causing crashes. Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33526/?. That should work for you and fix your crash problem, no doubt. I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner.