Automation Tools for TES5Edit - Suggestions Thread

matortheeternal

A collaborative project seems a good idea, I can help with some scripts and add my current scripts if someone wants them.

As you guessed I was thinking more in a sort of API than a toolkit, I found that the most annoying part of scripting in TES5Edit is that there is simple stuff that is overly complicated and thus I created some functions that deal with that stuff only once.

I also made a notepad++ autocomplete file (like the MS IntelliSense) for the TES5Edit exported functions in case you use that editor. I find it useful because it reminds me the parameters of the methods.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe this thread got buried.

NECROMANCERY: ACTIVATE!

A random NPC generator would be fab. Choose the number of NPCs to generate, pick the race, gender and point to a text file that holds a list of first names and another with a list of second names (optional), pick specific factions and keywords to be added and away it goes.

That would save so much time and bother for me. I'd adore you SO much, your sweat glands may as well be miniscule golden grails.

I do believe this thread got buried.

NECROMANCERY: ACTIVATE!

A random NPC generator would be fab. Choose the number of NPCs to generate, pick the race, gender and point to a text file that holds a list of first names and another with a list of second names (optional), pick specific factions and keywords to be added and away it goes.

That would save so much time and bother for me. I'd adore you SO much, your sweat glands may as well be miniscule golden grails.

That sounds like a cool idea. It'll certainly take some work, and I honestly don't know much about making NPCs, so I could probably use a little bit of help on this one. :)

I doth have another request! This one might be easier to script.

Ideally, the script would ask for the formid of a record, and another it's to be replaced by. The script then cycles through all the loaded mods, copies the referencing records (of the original formid) to the new mod and then changes said referencing records to the other formid.

Reason for asking, is I'm working on converting certain statics to items made by the mod TTWInteriors (The amalgamation of DCinteriors and FNVInteriors) without affecting the base records, so as to minimize conflicts and such.

If a script were to by and large automate the process, the task would be done in minutes and be incredibly easy to update when new replacement records are available.

New to modding here, and I don't know if this was suggested or if it is feasible.

But it would be so dam nice to have a way to mass rename items for better sorting purposes, instead of renaming them 1 by 1.

For example, to add a certain prefix "Armor -" to all armor pieces, or "Armor (L) -" to all light armor pieces.

Or some other way to mass manipulate naming of items, something like a "Find and Replace" feature.

I doth have another request! This one might be easier to script.

Ideally, the script would ask for the formid of a record, and another it's to be replaced by. The script then cycles through all the loaded mods, copies the referencing records (of the original formid) to the new mod and then changes said referencing records to the other formid.

Reason for asking, is I'm working on converting certain statics to items made by the mod TTWInteriors (The amalgamation of DCinteriors and FNVInteriors) without affecting the base records, so as to minimize conflicts and such.

If a script were to by and large automate the process, the task would be done in minutes and be incredibly easy to update when new replacement records are available.

This would be part of the find and replace formID script.

New to modding here, and I don't know if this was suggested or if it is feasible.

But it would be so dam nice to have a way to mass rename items for better sorting purposes, instead of renaming them 1 by 1.

For example, to add a certain prefix "Armor -" to all armor pieces, or "Armor (L) -" to all light armor pieces.

Or some other way to mass manipulate naming of items, something like a "Find and Replace" feature.

There is a find and replace script already for names, but it's not quite what you're looking for. You're looking for conditional prefix application. Which is very, very doable. (easy, in fact). I'll add it to the list.

--

I now feel that I've received enough submissions and interest in this project, and will be starting it up tomorrow. Cheerio.

Any progress on these scripts?

I could really use a "name/rename" handling script, as I am wading through renaming hundreds of item names :smile:

Edited by Treplos

Any progress on these scripts?

I could really use a "name/rename" handling script, as I am wading through renaming hundreds of item names :smile:

renamed in what way? adding a prefix, suffix, replacing text? this is all we can really handle in a script, unless you want to type the names manually for each item.

i just started up school again, but i'll get to these scripts as soon as i have time. gotta understand, I juggle real life, skyrim modding, actually playing games, tricking/jumping in halo, jumprs.org forum management/projects, and a crapton of other stuff. I have too much stuff on my plate.

Edited by matortheeternal

Basically I am renaming all armors and weapons in the game to a specific format (I did the rest of the items manually), but there are hundreds of armors and weapons.

For example, what I do manually at the moment is rename Necklace of Eminent Deft Hands into Amulet - Necklace of Pickpocket [iV].

What I would like to happen to the original is:

- First, add a prefix first "Amulet -";; So, now we have "Amulet - Necklace of Eminent Deft Hands".

- Then replace "Deft Hands" with "of Pickpocket" (the actual spell name) ; So we have "Amulet - Necklace of Eminent of Pickpocket".

- Then replace "of Eminent" with "[iV]", (the spell rank) ; So we have "Amulet - Necklace [iV] of Pickpocket".

- Finally, move "[iV]" to the end ; So we have "Amulet - Necklace of Pickpocket [iV]".

I already do these steps manually. If we can replace at least one step with a script, it would make my work 100% faster. The more steps that can be scripted, the easier my tasks becomes!

If I had to do the same in a text document for example, I would make use of the "Find & Replace" feature to do most of the above. But I don't know what is possible in a script.

-----

Another example: Nordic Boots of Dwindling Flames. I need to transform that into: Armor (H) - Nordic Boots of Resist Fire [iII].

- So, all heavy armor should have the "Armor (H) -" prefix. All light armor should have "Armor (L) -". Hence, it would be convenient to be able to apply the script to a certain section or selection.

- The rest is just "Find & Replace" function: find all instances of Dwindling Flames and replace with Resist Fire [iII].

I don't know if this makes sense or if it is feasible :tongue:

Edited by Treplos

^that's very feasible. I'll make a script specifically for renaming items via numerous find and replace algorithms that can be user defined via an easy-to-use interface.

I've started writing some of these scripts today, or at least outlining them. I got bored in one of my classes, pulled out a spiral notebook (the paper kind) and starting writing code. yupyup.

Edit: Pretty much done with the FULL name manipulaion script you requested Treplos. It has two primary features: adding a prefix or suffix to FULL names if a keyword is present, and finding/replacing text. It allows you to execute these two features any number of times per script run, and also allows you to print the modified FULL names as a list in the message log at any time. (so you can assess whether or not more changes need to be made).

How's that sound? :smile:

Edit 2: Added the ability to output the names to a text document, modify the text document, and then load them back from the text document. That should give users all the functionality they need.

Edited by matortheeternal