• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Tesshin20

Tesshin20

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

So Ive been returning to Skyrim and recently been introduced to this whole modding universe with texture packs, overhauls and what not.

As a beginner in these things Ive walked right into every modding trap there. By playing to level 60. Then throwing all the mods I want (About 200 of them) onto the save game. Then to later get crashes (and not understanding why) then to remove all of them from the save game and not have any clue what I was doing.

Through a lot of googlesearch and answers in here (especially answers by prod80) Ive now learned that removing a mod from a save game can break havoc later in the game, if not right away. And Indeed Ive been frustrated about all those crashes.

TLDR:

I am now fighting the memory cap of 3.1 GB where you get CTD and have found a bunch of 120 mods that I like. I am now level 14 for the 5th time this week (due to corrupted savegames) and how now running around in Whiterun tundra with 2.8 memory usage and want to remove some mods.

I know scripted mods is a no-go and and Ive also read that its better to start all over then to even remove the smallest scripting mod from the game.

But I have to ask: Are there mods, files, etc that are COMPLETELY safe to remove? I can imagine replacing a body-mesh with another should have 0 impact since the save game does not care what mesh or texture is there, as long as its something there at all. I understand scripting and quest things can create problems.

Is there a list of mods that are completely safe to remove?

Maybe an idea to have a symbol or something on every mod on the nexus that is completely safe to remove without causing issues with save games.

I really hope for help about this. I have some mods that I want to remove so I can continue my character but not sure which one.

Thank you! 

PS: This is my first post here so sorry if I dont blend in in the crowd right away.

Edited by Tesshin20, 19 July 2013 - 01:32 AM.

ripple

ripple

Promiscuous Poster

• Premium Member
  • 4,136 posts

Most mods can be uninstalled without issues. The only mods you need to worry about are those that will leaving orphan script data in your save game. If the mod involves scripts, your best bet is to check the mod descriptions and see if proper uninstallation instructions are necessary of if it comes with MCM support to disable the running script prior to uninstallation. 

Tesshin20

Tesshin20

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Most mods can be uninstalled without issues. The only mods you need to worry about are those that will leaving orphan script data in your save game. If the mod involves scripts, your best bet is to check the mod descriptions and see if proper uninstallation instructions are necessary of if it comes with MCM support to disable the running script prior to uninstallation. 

Thank you. I might have gone abit overkill then by restarting back to Helgen scenrio just because I removed some tattoo mods on my character. Is there a more definite answer to the question (not that your answer is bad)?

All texture/mesh/armor/weapon/ or fine to delete at free will? And stuff that changes combat or how objects behave are bad? What do I do when in doubt. I guess backup save games is a good idea. But when do I know when deleting a mod havent caused any issues?

Thanks again.

ripple

ripple

Promiscuous Poster

• Premium Member
  • 4,136 posts

It...really depends, primarily because some mods can 'combine' various methods of accomplishing things that you may normally not expect from such mods, including utilizing continually updating scripts. Some game values edited by mods are baked into the save game and can't be altered without more 'invasive methods' to 'reset' those values...there are just too many possibilities so often times, it boils down to a 'case by case' basis.

But 'in general', texture or body replacers are typically completely safe to uninstall assuming all the files are uninstalled completely. Weapon and armour mods are normally ok, even if they edit default leveled lists. You would just need wait in game for a cell respawn to refresh the respawning NPCs after you uninstall those mods. You can enable Papyrus logging if you suspect that an uninstalled script mod has left orphan data in your savegame, as they will appear in the log. If there are no scripting involving, generally, there isn't a need to concern yourself with the possibility that the mod may do permanent damage to your save games even if you just yank the mod out of your load order. If a mod involves scripts, and the modder has not provided any information in the mod readme or description about whether proper uninstallation procedures are needed or not, then I'd advise skipping the mod. It's ok to play around with mods. But you should be careful which mod you want to 'keep' in your load order and make save games with.  Other than that, I would advise just not letting this get to you unless you are experiencing some game stability issues that you suspect may be related to mods that have not been uninstalled properly.

You can also utilize SKSE's 'clearinvalidregistration' function, which will address orphan 'onupdate' calls.  

Edited by ripple, 19 July 2013 - 02:26 AM.

Tesshin20

Tesshin20

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok thanks a lot for your answer. I guess it couldnt have been answered any better.

prod80

prod80

You can see more when you close your eyes

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,248 posts

You gotta watch out a bit with custom weapons and armors... eg. you have custom armor suit "Whatever" and you drop a bunch of those armors on the floor in Dragonreach... now you completely forget about that for a day or so, and uninstall the mod.

You wanna enter Dragonreach again and whoops, CTD.

Some armors also contain scripts (eg. Daedric)... so they are a bit tricky :)

Texture/Meshes replacers are generally save to uninstall, as they don't come with plugins (so... they don't come with scripts!)... for anything else it might become risky.

Page loaded in: 0.991 seconds