Need help clamping my FPS like how it is done in New Vegas

Dweedle

Ok guys. In Fallout New Vegas i discovered something so awesome. I used the Ini configator for New Vegas to clamp my FPS at 30 then I used the NVIDIA Inspector to limit it to 30 and force Vsync and my game is running so smoothly that I cannot tell that it is running at 30fps.. my game is so smooth and nice.

I want to imitate this for Skyrim but unfortunately the INI editior for Skyrim does not offer a way to FPS Clamp.

I have googled this and everyone says add stuff to the INI but they don't say "where" in the ini nor do they say "what" ini.

Essentially I want to Clamp my FPS at 30 using the Skyrim equilvelent of this option in the New Vegas ini configator;

can anyone help me?

Clamping and limiting are really the same thing - both create an upper limit for fps.

Also, limiting Skyrim to 30 fps is a bad idea as the game doesn't like 30 fps in regards to loading - it takes significantly longer to load an area / cell when capping to 30 fps.

FPS limiter via nvidia drivers (for me) works but the games I've used it on all stutter quite badly. Therefore I find the best way to limit fps is by means of locking it down via hardware - as in by adjusting monitor refresh rate. For all games (apart from Skyrim) I set my monitor to 1920 x 1080 @ 30Hz and this normally works great. However some games don't respond to a lower-than-possible refresh rate and load up using 60Hz instead, in which case I've found MSI Afterburner the smoothest and best fps limiter tool.

As for Skyrim, I run it @ 1920 x 1080 60Hz and use the file linked above to cap the game to 32 fps (the extra 2 fps gets around the long loading times bug) and it runs just fine.

• 1 year later...

Clamping and limiting are really the same thing - both create an upper limit for fps.

Also, limiting Skyrim to 30 fps is a bad idea as the game doesn't like 30 fps in regards to loading - it takes significantly longer to load an area / cell when capping to 30 fps.

FPS limiter via nvidia drivers (for me) works but the games I've used it on all stutter quite badly. Therefore I find the best way to limit fps is by means of locking it down via hardware - as in by adjusting monitor refresh rate. For all games (apart from Skyrim) I set my monitor to 1920 x 1080 @ 30Hz and this normally works great. However some games don't respond to a lower-than-possible refresh rate and load up using 60Hz instead, in which case I've found MSI Afterburner the smoothest and best fps limiter tool.

As for Skyrim, I run it @ 1920 x 1080 60Hz and use the file linked above to cap the game to 32 fps (the extra 2 fps gets around the long loading times bug) and it runs just fine.

I need this too. And I need to be able to tweak it myself, because I'm already struggling to squeeze my mods together, and I can't have any clutter in my load order.

You don't an extra esp bogging up your load order ;)

Simply use nvidia inspector or AMD equivalent, load up the Skyrim profile and set your desired fps.

open up skyrim.ini and add ifpsclamp=x (where the x is put the value of the corresponding fps value from nvidia inspector)

Both need to be the same to get a smooth result. I use 45 and it's nice.

Edited by vlaka