A secret Russian town in America

devinpatterson

A while back I participated in a whole russian thread that touched on this idea, RUSSIA - A land scarred by the Wars of past. I even made up a Soviet Robobrain that I was pretty proud of (I'm sure it's still around my hard drive somewhere). It has some really good ideas in there, but it was far too ambitious, requiring a new world space.

But a new idea regarding the subject had been bouncing around in my head fairly recently, and it has to do with a interesting historical (possibly fictional?) quirk of the cold war. Essentially there were little, fake american towns set up in Russia. This is where spies and infiltrators grew up seeped in U.S. culture. They spoke english, enjoyed the American pastimes of the era, like movies, baseball, etc. So they were as at home with American culture as any native born U.S. citizen.

To the best of my knowledge we never did that in the U.S., but I could totally see fallout's America going for it. Set up little Russian (also works well with a Chinese variant) towns, where everyone speaks, sees and is submerged in Russian culture. These towns would be very secluded, because they would need to be both top secret and separate all american influence from the occupants.

So OK, interesting idea if it happened, but so what? Well it gives us a plausible tool to make a single little adventure in a authentic Russian town. It makes the scope of the mod much smaller and it could be anywhere that is isolated in the Mojave (but probably up north). So instead of just some Soviet items, you can have a little quest. Imagine that after the bombs fell they remained mostly isolated, thus surviving (well some of them) the fallout and chaos. They retained their Russian culture and over time/generations it was forgotten that they were ever Americans. Especially if you consider that fallout would have used CODE training on them, so they probably really didn't know they were Americans, at least not consciously.

Over time they became a tribe of their own, still staying mostly secluded, but venturing out when needed. But this strange tribe had foreign weapons, clothes, equipment, language and culture. It too has evolved over time, just as Americans have, but it's stayed Russian and retained it's super recluded mindset.

Could be a good little adventure to gain your soviet booty. I can help with most things (not great with weapons, but maybe we have nexus resources), and it's a lot more approachable than what we we're considering in that dead Russia thread.

little bit of resource material.

a little expansion/detail on the original idea;

They were in deep, deep immersion training via C.O.D.E brainwashing/programming and truly believed they were Russians. Not just the agents in training, but also all the extras (that were probably CIA & DOD support staff) from shopkeepers to soldiers to housewives, to give the absolutely most authentic experience possible.

When the bombs fell everything went to hell. The small staff that covertly monitored all of the town was based underground. It was composed of a few agents, science/tech support staff, a few shrinks to monitor mental stability and a group of soldiers in case there were problems. Most of them fled when the first nukes went off, whether to their family, nearest military basses to rejoin their units, went to get help, or just into the night etc. Some chose to stay, others had no choice as the last of the vehicles were gone and they were geographically isolated from any towns or cities.

In addition the installation was not intended as a full nuke proof vault, and as such most (all?) of the monitoring equipment was burned out in the nukes electromagnetic pulses. Far worse, the delicate and highly intricate/advanced C.O.D.E equipment was fried. The director had no way of shutting down the experiment and beginning the deconditioning programs.

This left a skeleton crew below the town, and a town full of terrified people that thought they were Russian and that America had just nuked the motherland. The director of operations and most (all?) of the remaining soldiers exited the vault-tec installation below to try and calm the populace, survey the situation and prepare them for deprogramming and debriefing.

Unfortunately they didn't stand a chance. Their story was outrageous, and unbelievable, like the ramblings of a mad man to the Russians. They were obviously invaders, armed U.S. soldiers, on Russian soil. In the riots, the terror and adrenaline flowing, many of the sleeper agents "activated", and their combat training emerged. Several score Jason Borne level agents and a town of terrified, hostile, rioting Russians overpowered the director, his assistants and the soldiers.

The remaining few left decided it was probably better to *not* try and deprogram/debrief highly skilled agents, that were basically finely honed killing machines, when they thought you were the enemy.......at least at this point in time. So they retreated to the underground installation to wait for help....that never came.

So you have a town of people that find out they are in the enemy's backyard, isolated from any help, dazed, confused, unable to comprehend what has happened. Theories abound, some somewhat credible (they are Russian citizens that were captured and being held, to be programmed to be U.S. agents and returned to the U.S.S.R) some not so credible (the Americans have a teleportation super weapon that can capture a whole town), some even correct.

With no food being trucked in and no vehicles left to travel out, things looked bleak. But they were Russians, and their's had always been a somewhat bleak existence. They would survive, and do what had to be done.

Over time they survived, and found that many of the members of the Russian town were very adapt at killing, taking almost instantly to firearms, hand to hand tactics etc. They were very careful to hide themselves and never leave a trail back to the village, less the Americans realize their presence here. They fought, scrounged and survived like all the survivors in the wasteland. There life was hard, and dangerous, but they survived, raised families and taught them their skills. But they never forgot their hatred/fear of the Americans and what they did to them and their town.

From here you could have a couple of options. 1 just replica of a small town, or 2. assume there was a military base including spetsnaz special forces and a small KGB headquarters as well. That would make some sense as they would want to train their agents in those positions as opposed to just typical civilians. If that's the case you could have special caste members that were the sons/daughters of KGB and Spetsnaz fulfilling the same role in town today.

One of the quests could be actually penetrating to the lower facility and finding out the mystery of what the town really was, possibly retrieving information/proof to show the Russians as one of the major quest lines.

We can also soften that hatred of the Americans, if the player performs a valuable service for them, since the U.S. is really no more. Taht way we're not locked into just having the player shoot everything that moves. He can have standard quests to aid the town, expose the KGB (or return those that have "disappeard" under the KGB), rescue captured Spetsnaz etc.

For power armor, I was thinking they use something similar to the exoskeleton suits in STALKER. It would have less DT than power armor, but can be operated by anybody.

Hmmm that's an interesting idea. I never saw any of hte exoskeletons when I played, so I went to check them out on the wiki. They look like something I could put together, with a ghost gas mask, some edits to combat armor etc. So that might be a way to.

Edited by devinpatterson

I whipped up a Soviet Eyebot. The idea being, that they wander the streets, being the KGB's eyes. But they are also constantly playing patriotic communist music and slogans. Pic;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/SovietEyebot_zps07924aed.jpg

I seperated the screen so that it can show different textures as we need them to (figure I'd run a simple script that swaps them out. ie isActorDead, some var's for coordinates and some enable/disable along with moveTo's). That way if it's an alert or something the screen can show something else.

This is a more advanced model. If we want to, we can assume the Russian tech is older, and less advanced. Perhaps U.S. contractors are only allowed to sale old tech to Russia. The wiki lists Russia and the U.S. having a relatively conflict free history (as opposed to our cold war), but each still considers the other a great threat in their respective propaganda. So if we go with older models I made the antique eyebot and two prototypes that bridge the gap between the antique and modern eyebot. Pic;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/EyebotModels_zpsd2534a28.jpg

While I think that a Chinese version would be more likely due to in-game lore but I like this idea so far. However, have you figured out a where this Soviet spy town might be located?

Also to tie in how those pseudo-Soviets managed to hide themselves so well, you could make the Soviets like the Spore Carriers from Vault 22: They show up as friendly or don't show up on the compass and only attack when you're close by. Maybe figure out a way to make untargetable in VATS. In addition, the Spetznaz versions could be equipped with Stealth Boys.

Who is to say that China didn't annex the Russian states during the great war which caused the settings of the Fallout Universe.

Fallout is one of those titles that really anything could go, because we really don't know what happened to start the great war.

I like this idea and would endorse it if anyone could create it into a playable mod

Edited by FaintUSMC

While I think that a Chinese version would be more likely due to in-game lore but I like this idea so far. However, have you figured out a where this Soviet spy town might be located?

Yeah that's why I listed it in the the post, but I think that it might be a little more unique to make it Russian simply because we have to little of that culture, it's a very visual impact in style (The red, the symbols etc) and because the people would be Caucasian, which helps them to infiltrate. I tend to be of the mind that the fallout world probably interned most US citizens of Chinese descent as we did in our world during WWII. But then again there does seem to be a lot of asian NPC's that very well could be of Chinese descent, so who knows?

Also to tie in how those pseudo-Soviets managed to hide themselves so well, you could make the Soviets like the Spore Carriers from Vault 22: They show up as friendly or don't show up on the compass and only attack when you're close by.

Hmmmm I wonder how they go about that. Maybe they have a neutral faction like the raven faction, then when the player gets within a certain range a script swaps out the faction? I'll have to look into it. I never actually noticed when I was playing.

Maybe figure out a way to make untargetable in VATS. In addition, the Spetznaz versions could be equipped with Stealth Boys.

Sure we could have them with captured booty including stealth boys. I'd like to also have some items unique to them and of Soviet tech. I think the exoskeleton is a good start. Maybe they could have a soviet item that is the equivalent of a reusable stealthboy, but like the Mark II stealth boy (can't remember if that was the vanilla game or a DLC) it has an effect similar to teh nightkins. A slow but gradual paranoia. Actually that might be better for the KGB branch, they probably see plots in everything, everywhere anyway.

Who is to say that China didn't annex the Russian states during the great war which caused the settings of the Fallout Universe.

Fallout is one of those titles that really anything could go, because we really don't know what happened to start the great war.

We do have a bit (very small amount) of history re: Russia and the U.S. in the fallout universe. It comes primarily from one of the premade player characters in the early series. Russia wasn't annexed, at least not at the time the great war started. They talked a big game about the U.S. being their enemy, but relations were actually much more cordial than one would expect, and far better than say during our cold war.

I like this idea and would endorse it if anyone could create it into a playable mod

I can make this mod, but some help would really speed things along (as I'm working on several projects). If you don't have modding skills, that's OK too, because ideas for quest lines are just as important, if not more so, than technical skills. If you want this mod to be made, contribute what you can, even if it's just brainstorming ideas. Right now it's in it's preparatory phase and if I don't feel like it has legs (especially in regard to the story line) it may be put on a back burner and forgotten.