46 replies to this topic

Sinathor

Sinathor

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey!

I wrote a review of Falskaar and you can read it here: http://sinathor.tumb...falskaar-review

Note that I am no professional reviewer, but I try to stay objective.

AlexanderJVelicky

AlexanderJVelicky

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
In response to post #8540624.

[Redacted]

Edited by AlexanderJVelicky, 26 July 2013 - 05:23 AM.

ltknight88

ltknight88

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 223 posts
I'm only a few hours into Falskaar, I'm going through Watervine Chasm and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. I think it blends in perfectly with the rest of the Skyrim game, and to me, it Does feel like another DLC. So I think your mission is accomplished and I hope you get the job, because I'd love to play more of your levels. I really like the wooden bridge over the water in Watervine - after the dragon wall, before the big door.

Ptruble

Ptruble

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Just finished the main quest for Falskaar. Overall, It is impressive. The scope and scale is massive. The story is driven and coherent. There a few things that should be improved. Never ran across a major glitch or bug. 5 out of 5 stars.

lordsybren

lordsybren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
This is the best mod ever made, it is a deep living world with good voices and a very nice storyline. This is in many ways better than what Bethesda has done.

Ian1732

Ian1732

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I'm not going to lie, I feel like some of the dialogue was written pretty poorly. Too much tell, not enough show. Too much tell, not enough show. So far, it feels a lot like a big budget film that would bomb in the box office. It's very pretty, but the substance doesn't stand up to par. Also [mild spoiler] after returning from Borvald, Yngvarr, the big bad who we're told holds a lot of sway over the events of Falskaar, shows up in person at Amber Creek without so much as a bodyguard to protect him. I would've at least liked to see him have something backing up his threats at the time.

superthero

superthero

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
I've only played through the left half of Falskaar, haven't crossed the giant wall yet. So far I'm loving it. Great mod.
I'm wondering, what's the point of the secret lair inside the player home(can't recall it's name)? I don't see it's usefulness. There's nothing in it, if there was I missed it. You can't close the door on your way in, so those rule-loving guards can just walk right in and dare to threaten the Dragonborn.
And river needs more Mudcrab :) And some extra eagles in the air to shoot.
I like the new songs sang by the bards. I wish I could write down the lyrics and go back to Skyrim, and give the bards there some new material. I'm sick of Ragnar the Red lol

emeraldwarhorse

emeraldwarhorse

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Haven't played it too long yet, but I'm really enjoying, and the voice acting is (in my opinion) better than most of skyrims

luc2posse

luc2posse

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I've played through a lot of Falskaar so far. I'll try to be supportive, both in the pros of my experience, and some constructive criticism.

Pros:

- The voice acting. I can't say enough about this, but it's so much more immersive than vanilla Skyrim or any of the official DLC. These people actually sound like what I'd expect Nords to sound like. The accents were excellent; unique and strong while still being understandable.
- The quests are very well done. The main quest makes great use of the larger cities as set pieces in the storyline, rather than attempting to make these large cities into quest hubs. It also makes the world feel more alive, as you see consequences of the war in cities being destroyed. The side quests are varied and seem to have more motivation than a lot of the ones in vanilla Skyrim.
- I love all the subtle references to pop culture. Did that necromancer just say "I feel... happy!" and that Nord just say "I must break you"? Brilliant. It's that aspect of the Fallout games I really enjoy, too. Just the right balance between subtlety and references.
- The dungeons are well done and, most importantly, extremely creative. Many of the vanilla Skyrim dungeons start to feel too similar after a while. Falskaar was great in that some aspects of cave/Nordic ruin/Dwemer could be found in a single dungeon experience. I never walked into a Falskaar cave/dungeon knowing exactly what to expect.
- The new music. A small point, but I really liked it. All of music tended to fit the mood of the Falskaar experience.

Cons:

- The world is constructed well, but some of the mountain ranges seem more like walls than natural terrain. They're just barriers to add more walking around the landscape. I think they just need to be varied more. Same with the trees. It felt like walking around a vast, manicured golf course with trees and mountains, rather than exploring a new land. This was more apparent in the western part of the world; the eastern part felt more natural.
- Combat fatigue. This is the worst one. I entered Falskaar at Level 51 and have battled maybe 100 Bandit Marauders by now. Even in large groups, they aren't so much hard as they are tedious to kill. One of the worst aspects of Skyrim was the combat. Left-clicking to attack over and over isn't fun. It wasn't fun here and took away from the experience. Same goes with a stealth strategy; killing groups of Marauders one arrow at a time just took forever. Balance it with some easier and harder bandit types. Knowing I had to kill 7-10 Marauders in a single session was often enough to make me quit for a while.
- Following people. This is another iffy part of Bethesda games. Following someone to a quest is hit or miss, whether they start going the wrong direction, take random and frequent detours, or just get hung up and stop altogether. I understand the point of story-telling with this device and the quests were good enough to keep me engaged. And I know that it isn't the fault of the Mod creator that Bethesda characters can't keep to a path very well. But knowing it's a limitation of the engine should dissuade creating quests that involve following someone to somewhere.

Bugs:

- Relatively bug free! The only ones I really ran into were Skyrim-related, rather than mod-related. The following bugs listed above, some random CTDs, but nothing game- or quest-breaking. I wish all Bethesda products shipped with this level of QA (hear that, F:NV testers???).

Overall:

This is simply excellent. Bethesda should hire Velicky immediately. Surround him with world designers. Let him set the tone of the experience and fit voice talents to match that. Let him design all of the dungeons. If Bethesda doesn't hire him, Obsidian should hire him and try like hell to get another Fallout project to work on.

Lufel

Lufel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
First, excuse my English, but I wanted do review your great Mod!

Pros: - Beautiful scenery. I like the Riften themed wood or the cold coast. You were able to see how the forest was changing between the large river and the mountains.
-Voice acting. 90% of all voice actors were amazing. The accent was not overload or something like that. Only the Agnar-Speaker was a little bit too enthusiastic. But all in all I liked the voice acting here more than the german voice acting in Skyrim
-Most of the side-quests were special and funny to make (It reminds me of the quest with the mud crabs and the child )
-Little things like the bard who learns new song if you do something special in Faalskar (I like his voice!, the recipes of the little girl..All this things make this game worth to call it DLC.
-Dungeons! In Vanilla Skyrim I got a quest everyday and I had to go to a dungeon. I hated it. With Mods it was better and how you designed the dungeons is amazing. I really loved to go in a Dungeon and kill the bandits and highwaymen, because the dungeons look so great.

Cons: -The Main Quest. The travler, who could be anyone, a bandit, a thief, who knows, is everyone trusting like ...a good friend. Only because a prophecy or something like that? (Okay the Dovakhin who could be everyone is not better but who cares! Much of the Story you could be expected and the ending was... not that great. But it was fun to made.)
-Enemy: How. Many. Bandits. I. Am. Killing. Now?! I know the bandits are related to the story and so on but there were so many! I loved to kill a few mud crabs on the way or necromancers.
-Some places in the big landscape were...empty. I would wish some more things there.

Bugs: Only one at the final battle. Nobody was coming, but after 8 hours waiting, everyone was there and it could start. And sometimes Svegrad (One of the houscarls) was trying to kill my companion, but she was essential and so it wasn't a real problem.
I played this mod over 15 hours. And I was amazed that one guy had done this much! This is like a good Dlc. Thanks for your hard work and that everyone can play it. Thanks!

Edited by Lufel, 01 August 2013 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.922 seconds