Rollback to Nvidia Driver 314.22 vast improvement for performance

firemanaf

First let me say, I have a gtx 660 1.5GB graphics card.

I have been running about 25 mods that change textures, lighting like CoT and RLO. Plus enhancers like SFO and WATER and few other popular mods. I was using FXAA Injector because a couple weeks ago I tried a few ENBs and my computer didn't seem to run it well for some reason. But FXAA let me enhance some colors to my liking. I was running solid 60FPS indoors and 55-60FPS outdoors.

Since then I have updated my Nvidia driver again just the other day to the new BETA. (also since I started playing I learned how to tweak settings and using texture optimizer and such to improve performance)

Well this weekend I decided to try the ENB thing again since I learned a bit how to tweak the setting for more performance. So I installed Project ENB. I actually could run it better than the first time. I had to have DOF and SSAO disabled and could run about 25-35FPS outdoors and 35-40 indoors. (Not sure why so low indoors) Hardly ever got to the 40s FPS

But I was seeing the sun through the mountains and decided to research a fix and found that rollback to Nvidia driver 314.22 can fix that issue. So I decided to try.

I started my game and in whiterun my FPS jumped to 40-45FPS inside solid 60FPS. I use the SSAO and DOF toggle mod. So I enabled that and outside I was sitting 35-40FPS outside never dropping below 30FPS (Before I was dropping below 30 a lot, in Riverwood I was usually in the 20s) Inside now I am sitting about 55-59FPS.

And no sun through objects. And now I can keep SSAO enabled and things look a lot better. I had to drop my shadows down to high instead of Ultra, now I can run Ultra.

Weird, But figured I would post this for those Nvidia users that didn't know about the sun fix and for those that are using the current drivers with issues may want to rollback.

Using 314.22 driver is useless now, since new version of ENB fixes not only sunrays through objects, but also memory leaks (which is HUGE).

Im using Real Vision ENB and have excellent performance with latest Nvidia drivers and latest version of ENB (I have GTX 680). 314.22 driver which I was using few weeks ago didnt give more FPS.

Advice: try 0.199 ENB

I did try .199 when using ENBoost and lost FPS. I am using project ENB and it uses .119 ENB. I tried Realvision ENB yesterday with .199 and FPS sucked for me. All I know is that playing with Project ENB today and then installed driver 314.22 my FPS where higher and steadily. It wasn't just a freak thing and went back to what it was before. I made no other changes. Just rollbacked driver.

You don't really need the newer binaries when you use ENB combined with a lighting mod for interior and exterior (eg. RLO + CoT). The new functions are functions which are also handled by those mods (Interior day/night cycle, lighting variation during sunrise/sunset, etc).

I tried the 0.199 memory feature, but this doesn't help against the 3.1gb limit. Force your textures over this limit and you still CTD the same as before (that's also noted by Boris)... if you have setup your textures well you don't have CTDs anyway. Moving allocated memory into another location does not reduce the total amount of memory used.

I tried the 0.199 memory feature, but this doesn't help against the 3.1gb limit. Force your textures over this limit and you still CTD the same as before (that's also noted by Boris)... if you have setup your textures well you don't have CTDs anyway. Moving allocated memory into another location does not reduce the total amount of memory used.

BS. 0.199 is amazing and definetly helps against 3.1g limit. I had crashes due to memory leak even with 2k textures since I have so many visual and heavy on VRAM mods. Now I threw at game all the best 4k textures I could find, and it runs flawlessly rarely going above 1.5g RAM. Very smooth FPS too with Real Vision Performance preset.

Edited by mindw0rk2

Well for me it doesn't work.... and there's more people for who it doesn't work. There's a lot of dependencies. Calling "BS" is a bit off. I monitored my memory during play (and no not with SPM or Windows because that only gives the working set) and there was just no change in memory usage.

Try this program to monitor your memory: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/dd535533.aspx

And put here outcome of that with and without ENBoost.

I'd be more than interested to see the difference when it DOES work for someone.

It "didnt work" for you because you didnt install it properly. You had to tweak enblocal.ini to turn on memory tweak.

Ive been using Skyrim monitor for a long time. Usually my RAM is almost 3Gb. Now check the values of this. Game is on extreme settings with 2-4k textures and 250+ mods many of which are RAM heavy (spawns, etc).

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2286/x1jt.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/6814/eq88.jpg

I already forgot what its like to crash cuz of 3.1g limit

Edited by mindw0rk2

The last few Nvidia drivers have been terrible. I installed 320.49 and I couldn't even use my web browser anymore without everything periodically freezing. I rolled back to 314.22 and all my problems went away. If you check the Nvidia forums you will see massive amounts of people complaining about problems.