Newbie looking for Mentorship and a Friendly Corp

JayRad11

Hey guys,

Names Jay, and I'm looking to get back into Eve. Little bit about myself for recruitment purposes; I am 24 and currently reside in Ontario, Canada. A Mature enthusiast gamer, currently in the computer science practices through college. I would classify myself as a very down to earth guy, very outgoing, humorous, and eager to learn the ropes. Avid teamspeak user as well.

I tried to get into this game awhile back, but had little motivation and comradery without being part of a solid corporation. I was basically alone in space, trying to figure out the game all by myself with hours of tutorials and day after day of mining in asteroid belts. I stopped after my 21 day trial since I was having such a tough time finding a legit corporation of guys to play with, and not many people were helping me when I asked questions.

I just went ahead and purchased the game, because this time I mean business. I've got the dedication and motivation to learn the in's and out's of the game, so long as I have someone/corp to take me under their wing. I think we can all agree that no one will get far in this game alone. You can be sure that i'll catch on fast.

Thanks for hearing me out, lmk if you need any more information.

Jay

Edited by JayRad11

Have you looked at the Eve Corp Recruitment Forum? You could make a similar post there and it is likely to be seen by many more individuals. Lots of corps are constantly recruiting, and you can read about them and select the ones you like. This (Nexus) forum is not very active. Having said that, the members here are obviously parts of established corps, and can be of great help.

A lot depends on which direction you want to take in Eve. It appears that you may be inclined towards PvP, in which case something like the Starship Alliance (I think) may be appropriate for you, which has many members on this forum.

I run a trading corporation, and have run an apprenticeship program in the past. Unfortunately the corp has 2 active members (with about 10 alts), and you may not get the support that you need as a beginner. Still, if you are interested you are welcome to apply.

You could also seriously consider joining Eve University, which I have no personal experience of, but is thought to be pretty good for beginners.

I suggest hanging in there for a few days. You may get some useful responses in this forum, and in the meantime keep a close eye on the Eve forum liked above.

Any yes, Eve is much more fun when playing cooperative- especially at the beginning. After 5 years of playing, I have phases where I play alone, but am still in constant communication with my friends. New Eden would be a harsh and lonely place without corp mates and friends. Wish you the best in finding a group of people you get along with. Do not be disheartened if you do not find the right people at the first attempt.

Thanks for all of that useful information samroski. :smile:

I was about to post in the main recruitment forums of Eve earlier today, but I haven't made my new character yet which is a poster requirement (At work for the day) I shall check out Eve University as soon as I get home. One other individual recommended the same Corp to me.

In your opinion, once I progress and move on to finding jobs/responsibilities, which is the most promising way in terms earning optimal ISK? I don't mind mining operations, agent missions, transporting and etc. It's all fun to me as long as it has some form of cooperative purpose with a corp. However, does one job typically bring in more ISK on an hourly/daily basis than another job?

Oh and yeah, it can get a bit disheartening at first on your own. I think most probably quit so hastily for that reason, or because they simply don't have the patience required to play the game. Personally, I get intimidated by the vast amount of mechanics and knowledge you need to wrap your head around in order to be an effective Eve player.

Thanks for the Pep-talk! :P

Jay

Edited by JayRad11

Here is a quick guide to some professions:

Mining: once skills are all trained and you are in a good mining ship, it can earn you up to 50 million ISK/hr. Probably more like 20-30 mil/hr. I never mine, so I could be wrong. imho mining is boring and only serves to provide materials for industry. An industrialist can hire 20 miners, but not the other way around.

Industry: You can earn vast amounts once you have researched blueprints and have raw materials coming in regularly. Again takes a while to get going, but once established, it requires little time to set up jobs. Definitely worth investigating, as it can even be run as a side business, while you do other stuff.

Missions/Exploration/Incursions: Incursions is the best way to make money while doing PvE. This is a group activity which can potentially earn you 50-100 mil/hr. You can do missions (and exploration) solo and earn a little more than mining i.e. 30-50 mil/hr.

PvP: This is a great way to loose money.

Salvaging: Ninja salvaging can be profitable as a solo thing, earning nearly as much as missions I suppose. A Ninja mining corp can be fun, I think, where you can gank hapless mission runners who try to shoot back at you.

Bounty Hunting: Not great money to be made, especially if you look at the hourly rate, but hell, if you enjoy it, you must do it.

Trade: This is where the money is. Earning any amount is possible, and there are ways to trade where you do not have to be online to make money (like industry). This is how I've made 100s of billions in Eve, and I am a casual trader, who spends little time at it.

Scamming/Corp Espionage: Great way to make money. Though I have not tried this myself, but people can make billions by scamming and/or stealing. In Eve there are no consequences, so you can roleplay as a thief. There are many many ways to do this and the profits can be great. Your post, though apparently sincere, may actually be a scam for this very purpose.

There are many other ways of making money, e.g. selling different types of services via forums or websites. At the end of the day the most important thing, imho, is to do something that you have fun doing, not the ISK/hr that you make.

Hmmm, very interesting info! This is exactly what I needed to hear Samroski. I have so much to learn lol.

You spoke earlier of a Trade apprenticeship corporation you run, though with lack of active members lately. Perhaps once I go through the levels with EVE University and get my hands a bit more dirty, I could perchance send you an application for this apprenticeship program? You sound very friendly and knowledgeable in these fields. :P

Edited by JayRad11

Hmmm, very interesting info! This is exactly what I needed to hear Samroski. I have so much to learn lol.

You spoke earlier of a Trade apprenticeship corporation you run, though with lack of active members lately. Perhaps once I go through the levels with EVE University and get my hands a bit more dirty, I could perchance send you an application for this apprenticeship program?

My eve name is the same i.e. samroski. Drop me a mail in-game so I can add you to my contacts and the channels that some of us Nexans use. You're welcome to apply to the corp whenever you are ready, and we can get you started on trade. You may find that after Eve Uni, you want to take a different path. Also do not give up on finding a larger corp.

Also: join chat channels. There are a lot of interesting channels, investigate, join, talk. Also use the corp channel, i.e. the NPC corp channel that you are part of as default. There are a lot of interesting people (especially alts) that hang around in NPC corps. Form fleets with them, do missions, mining, or join in whatever they are doing.

Fly safe.

You spoke earlier of a Trade apprenticeship corporation you run, though with lack of active members lately. Perhaps once I go through the levels with EVE University and get my hands a bit more dirty, I could perchance send you an application for this apprenticeship program?

My eve name is the same i.e. samroski. Drop me a mail in-game so I can add you to my contacts and the channels that some of us Nexans use. You're welcome to apply to the corp whenever you are ready, and we can get you started on trade. You may find that after Eve Uni, you want to take a different path. Also do not give up on finding a larger corp.

Also: join chat channels. There are a lot of interesting channels, investigate, join, talk. Also use the corp channel, i.e. the NPC corp channel that you are part of as default. There are a lot of interesting people (especially alts) that hang around in NPC corps. Form fleets with them, do missions, mining, or join in whatever they are doing.

Fly safe.

Sounds good Samroski, will do!

I just made my Gallente character last night, and trained under the Caille University along with choosing Industry (or should I have chosen business(?)) as my career path after completing the tutorial. My ign is Alaster Corvinus for reference. Do you explicitly use the Eve chat panel as the primary communication tool while educating the apprentices? Or do you use any voip applications such as TS?

Thank you good sir!

The career paths during character creation used to make a difference some years back (gave you different attributes to start off with), but make no difference now. You will start off more or less with the same skills and can train anything you like, so not to worry.

We use Eve chat and mail as the main communication tools in corp, and do not use any voice communication. The corp has a no stress policy, and voice communication, though essential in many aspects of Eve, increase stress.

Which reminds me, Red vs. Blue is a great place for new players interested in PvP, and make excellent use of voice coms, as do many many other corps. Join Blue, in case you're thinking of joining. Am biased, as my experiences (using alts) were somehow better in blue.

The career paths during character creation used to make a difference some years back (gave you different attributes to start off with), but make no difference now. You will start off more or less with the same skills and can train anything you like, so not to worry.

We use Eve chat and mail as the main communication tools in corp, and do not use any voice communication. The corp has a no stress policy, and voice communication, though essential in many aspects of Eve, increase stress.

Which reminds me, Red vs. Blue is a great place for new players interested in PvP, and make excellent use of voice coms, as do many many other corps. Join Blue, in case you're thinking of joining. Am biased, as my experiences (using alts) were somehow better in blue.

Ah ok gotcha. Yeah I'm not much for PvP, in just about any games in fact. I enjoy voip just because it comes more natural to me from playing other games ( BF3, Arma 3 etc). I guess you really don't need the extra chatter for mining and trading expeditions. Like you said, ts is likely used for more fast paced PvP oriented situations. Oh, and that's nice to know that I'm not tied down to my skill set choices early on in the game.

One other question. When I purchased the game, I remember seeing some form of "starter package" selection screen on the Eve website. However, when I fully purchased the game through "Upgrade your Trial" selection, I was not prompted with a starter pack selection screen. I downloaded this client on steam, and steam continues to tell me that I need to input my CD-key periodically. Did I miss out on this "starter deal" because I am a trial member with an existing character?

PS: Mailed you in-game as requested :smile:

Thanks!

Edited by JayRad11