Setting to add distance blur to CoT cinematic ENB?

BrockSamsonFW

I have my game set up with all the 115 or so mods that I want and part of that includes CoT with the CoT Cinematic ENB. Is there a way to set it up so that everything past a certain distance has a small amount of blur to it regardless of what I'm focusing on?

When the DOF is off due to not focusing on anything the distance and background are too sharp and look fake. When I'm just barely at the edge of the focusing distance on an object, the background gets just enough blur (slightly more than AA) that softens the image and makes it look much more natural (in that it looks much less artificially sharp and fake).

I know that there are 3rd party ways to handle this but I know that a lot of ENB have settings that might allow this. Does anyone know if I can do this or have suggestions that have minimal risk of screwing up my mod setup?

Navigate to Skyrims main directory and open the "enbeffectprepass.fx" file (use any text editor such as Notepad) - then search for a section of code that looks like this...

// Depth of field parameters
#define fFocusBias 0.080						// bigger values for nearsightedness, smaller for farsightedness (lens focal point distance)
#define fDofCutoff 0.35							// manages the smoothness of the DoF (bigger value results in wider depth of field)
#define fDofBias 0.17							// distance not taken into account in DoF (all closer then the distance is in focus)
#define fBlurScale 0.00265						// governs image blur scale (the bigger value, the stronger blur)
#define fBlurCutoff 0.10						// bluring tolerance depending on the pixel and sample depth (smaller causes objects edges to be preserved)

The issue you've described is the focal point is set too far away, so I've had a very quick look at it and what I did was change the first two parameters to...

// Depth of field parameters
#define fFocusBias 0.120						// bigger values for nearsightedness, smaller for farsightedness (lens focal point distance)
#define fDofCutoff 0.45							// manages the smoothness of the DoF (bigger value results in wider depth of field)

This makes the focal point closer therefore add more distance blur, and I increased the "smoothness" of the DoF effect so it wasn't overpowered in the foreground.

To fine tune it yourself, set Skyrim to windowed mode and run the game while having the enbeffectprepass.fx file open - then change the DoF values and reload the ENB shaders live while the game is still running (for quick and easy assessment of your changes). If you're using the original CoT Cinematic base ENB version (0.119) then to reload shaders press the Backspace key. If you're using a very recent ENB as a base (as of the ENBoost time-frame) then the key press won't work, you'll have to use the ENB GUI (activated by pressing Shift+Enter) and click "Apply Effects" to reload the ENB live.

Or you can try Dinavison DOF and select a static dof. I started with that 0119 dll in my enb and changed to the 0132 because it blured more the background and all image in general, so i had to increase sharpening with sweetfx to compensate.