Companions Radiant Quest Script problem and CTD

RaulCuevas

I've seen various posts about this issue scattered in the web, but in the end, none of them present some kind of solution or workaround.

Problem is, I'm getting my log cluttered with errors pointing to the script of the Companion's Quest "Purity" (CR13). I know this quest is buggy as hell, but thing is, I never even attempted to iniciate it. It all started when I finished the Companions Questline, all I did was ONE radiant quest for Farkas (I believe "Animal Extermination"), and then the errors started to appear in big quantities in my log. The recurring error is as follows:

[CR13 (000E3163)].cr13questscript.SetCurrentStageID() - "<native>" Line ?

[CR13 (000E3163)].cr13questscript.SetStage() - "Quest.psc" Line 124

[CR13 (000E3163)].companionsradiantquest.Setup() - "CompanionsRadiantQuest.psc" Line 41

[CR13 (000E3163)].cr13questscript.Setup() - "CR13QuestScript.psc" Line 26

[CR13 (000E3163)].QF_CR13_000E3163.Fragment_10() - "QF_CR13_000E3163.psc" Line 57

[08/20/2013 - 04:14:42PM] Error: CR13 (000E3163): attempting to start event scoped quest outside of story manager.[CR13 (000E3163)].cr13questscript.SetCurrentStageID() - "<native>" Line ?

[CR13 (000E3163)].cr13questscript.SetStage() - "Quest.psc" Line 124

[CR13 (000E3163)].companionsradiantquest.Setup() - "CompanionsRadiantQuest.psc" Line 41

[CR13 (000E3163)].cr13questscript.Setup() - "CR13QuestScript.psc" Line 26

[CR13 (000E3163)].QF_CR13_000E3163.Fragment_10() - "QF_CR13_000E3163.psc" Line 57

[08/20/2013 - 04:14:42PM] Error: CR13 (000E3163): attempting to start event scoped quest outside of story manager.

This appears no matter where I am, even if it's far from Whiterun and I don't talk to any member in my entire playsession. Most of time, when I experiment short freezes in game, I check my log afterwards and it fits with the time of the log errors. Also, sometimes I think this leads to CTD when the errors become massive.

Question is: is there a fix for this? Be it in game, or maybe with some script replacement (I've found other here, like fixed scripts for bluepalacearena, lvlpredatorscript and others).

Any help would be appreciated. I hope I don't have to live with that annoying error forever, specially since I've never even did the mentioned quest.

Thanks!

I too have had the same problem with that particular error. I'm getting tired of playing for 15min then getting a CTD. This one is among 4 errors that get spammed in my log. Looking into possible fixes... I'll let you know if I find anything.

EDIT: Well, so far nothing. Seems like the call in the script to start up the quest (they're trying to set the stage to 1) goes all the way into Skyrim.exe (that's the "native" info you see in the log). The scripts look normal as far as I can see and follow. Not quite sure why we're getting that error. I've looked at the details of that quest in the Creation Kit and also made sure no other mods affected that quest (using TESEdit). I've also examined Farkas in detail (in TESEdit again), but there nothing i can see that can affect the quest/script there either.

My next step is to go through the Purity quest and see if I get any problems.

Edited by Ben2069

I really don't get why the issue arises in the first place, it makes no sense that the game "tries" to start the quest when nothing commands it to do so (I guess that's why it says it's "attempting to start event outside of story manager".

What do you exactly mean, you completed purity, then it did fix the issue, but it triggered the error for MQ301, or that is another independent problem? Just to know if the solution would be simply to do the quest Purity. But I have another problem, I can't seem to get the quest, no matter how many radiants I do for the Companions. Also, using the console to start/finish the Quest does nothing.

How did you get the quest? I've heard it has lots of bugs, and that you need to have Glenmoril Witch heads in your inventory before trying, but the item is bugged.

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

I had the heads for the previous quest (where I helped dead Kodlak get rid of his werewolf heritage to gain access to Sovengard). I started the quest by talking to Farkas. I had to do a random quest for him 1st, but when i got back he sstarted talking about regret, blah, blah. This all led me to the Purity quest. Same applied to Vilkas.

Ends up that the spamming msg in the papyrus log file had nothing to do with my problems (CTD, freezup when loading). I found a way to put my uGridsToLoad setting in skyrim.ini back to 5 (from 7). This usually caused me to CTD right at startup, but i found this fix:

[sOLUTION]

YES!!!!!! It works!!!!!

Thanks a lot Solymer89!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here the full solution step by step:
-. Open the configuration panel from the standard Skyrim launcher, the cool borderless splash screen one (not the 4GB launcher!!)
-. Configuration
-. Flag the window mode option and select whatever resolution you prefer, just go for one that's smaller than your screen
-. Start the game, now windowed
-. Alt+Tab to be able to move your cursor out of the game window and open the Skyrim.ini file you can find in the "MyDocuments\My Games\Skyrim\" folder
-. Change the "uGridsToLoad" and "uExterior Cell Buffer" values to the lower ones you need and SAVE
-. Click inside the game window to get back in control of the game cursor and open the console (press the "~" button, the one below "Esc")
-. Type refreshini and hit Enter
-. Now make a new savegame, even a quick one
-. Exit the game
-. Now you can run Skyrim again with the fullscreen resolution, the latest save file will work at the lower uGridsToLoad value!!!

Tadaaaa!!!!

I've been playing since without incident. Yay!

I can't get Farkes to give me the quest; in fact, he won't give me ANY quest, the option to take a work from him never appears after I finished one radiant quest he gave me. It dissapeared from his dialogue.

So, you problem had nothing to do with the log... that error doesn't seem harmless to me, since it spams the log and it seems to slow down the game when it triggers...

• 5 months later...

Has any solution to this been found? I started a new game because of this problem because the game would CTD when I tried to move into certain areas. When I got the new character up to 76th level this crap started again. Same error and the same problem as Raul, can't get anything from Farkas.