Cannot run Nexus Mod Manager on Windows 8!

Ryker61

I wasn't sure which forum was right to post this thread. If this is the wrong forum, I apologize to the admins

Last night I downloaded the current version of NMM and tried to run it. It went through the scan process, and found two games that NMM works with. I tried to get NMM to start just so I could see what it looked like. It would not load, stating the following:

Unable to get write permissions for: C:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Install Info

There was a details button at the bottom so I clicked on that to see what solutuons there were, if any. This is what it said:

This error happens when you are running Windows Vista or later, and have put Nexus Mod Manager's Install Info folder in the Program Files folder. You need to do one of the following:

1. Disable UAC (not recommended).

2. Move Nexus Mod Manager's Install Info folder outside of the Program Files folder (for example, to C:\Games\ModManagerInfo\Install Info).

3. Run Nexus Mod Manager as Administrator. You can try this by right clicking on Nexus Mod Manager's shortcut and selecting Run as Admin. Alternatively, right click on the shortcut, select Properties->Compatibility and check Run this program as an Admin.

Options 1 and 3 did not seem good to me, so I went with option two, only the Install Info folder is not in the Nexus Mod Manager folder. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm new to mods (playing with them, not making them) and if I screwed up somehow, any help to get me on the right path would be great.

Edited by Ryker61

Delete everything in your games folder and install NMM there. The games folder should be empty until you install NMM.

That's the other thing, and I forgot to mention it in my initial post. I can't find the C:\Games directory at all. I look in the C drive, but it's not there.

Edit: I bought Skyrim on Steam but that shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Edited by Ryker61

Just make the directory called Games on the C: drive. Steam is what you need.

Okay, I did that and I went ahead and took the entire NMM folder and dropped it into the directory, now it works. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Edited by Ryker61

I'm trying to remember what I did to fix this same problem, it happened to me when I first installed this a month or so back, now the only problem I have is getting it to start up...I click it it doesn't open and I have to use task manager to close it out multiple times and keep trying so I just leave mine open at all times. If I can remember what I did I'll let you know in a personal massage.

• 4 months later...

Hi can someone help my via E-mail. My E-mail address is

and this is the problem.

I can't get my Mod Manager to work cause it keeps telling me about the Proxie message keeps coming up i am attaching the latest trace log and i have like 40 of em so here it gots.

file:///C:/Users/Harold/Documents/Nexus%20Mod%20Manager/TraceLog20140115021606.txt

NOT a good idea to post your email on a public site. Unless you like receiving a LOT of spam and requests from people you don't really want to know to "Be my friend." :pinch:

We have do a built in site private message ability that does not advertise your email for every scammer, spammer and identity thief to find you.

I put the email into a spoiler that should keep most of the trash away that haven't already found it.

Bben46, Moderator

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...