Fixing "deleted NavMesh"

Couvs81

Heyas;

After installing a mod I downloaded and running BOSS, it kicked back the warning that "this file contains # deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game." the mod author appears to have been inactive and hasn't responded to the issue or fixed it at all, so I went through Arthmoor's tutorial for manually fixing the problem. I went through step by step and even now when I look at the mod in TES5Edit I don't see any deleted navmeshes, but BOSS still says the mod contains the same number of deleted navmeshes. I didn't touch anything else in it.

Is this normal or did something get missed?

Making proper navmeshes is something the modder should have done tbh.

You can fix it by going in the creation kit and before loading the mod just select it, click on details, sort the list by "deleted" or "NAVM" and then select the deleted navmesh and press the delete button, you should then see a " | " next to it indicating that the original navmesh will be put back in place.

But here comes the tricky part, now you have 2 layers of navmeshes when you load the mod in the CK, the original one and the edited one, so you really need to know 100% which navmesh layer he edited since that one needs to stay in place.

Now you need to select the original navmesh, just select 1 navmesh and then press "flood fill" to have the entire layer selected, then drop it down way below the map so npcs cannot use it.

But even then you might need to repeat this process for different cells or for areas where the navmeshes arnt connected to each other since the flood fill will only select a small part of the layer then.

Which is why you need to know which navmeshes he edited and where they are located.

I hope that makes some sense :/

In any case if you do not use any other mods in this modded area I don't think the deleted navmeshes should cause problems, its is only when a 2nd mod tries to find the original navmesh that you get CTD, because it cannot find it anymore.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the info Ac3s. Probably beyond my capability though, I've never really tinkered with the creation kit and only just late this afternoon started peeking at tutorials for it. I do run other mods, but whether they've edited the same areas or not I have no idea, the author didn't list any compatibility issues but I'm aware that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Near as I can tell he's been inactive on the modding scene since May of this year; he hasn't had any activity on the Nexus since then at least.

I did open the file in the Creation Kit just to see if I could find what you were talking about and got a whack of warnings about various triangles in a couple NavMeshes in this mod, some indicating that they have "opposite normals but are linked" or "Triangle X Edge 1 and Triangle Y Edge 2 should be linked but are not". I decided against messing with it.

anyhoo thanks again :smile:

Edited by Couvs81

What mod are you talking about btw?

And if your even getting "opposite normals but are linked" and other errors, that means the author never did press CTRL+F to check for navmesh errors or he didn't knew how to properly edit them in the first place.

Normally if you get erros like that you need to look them up one by one, manually delete that offending navmesh and place it again until it stops giving errors.

• 2 months later...

What mod are you talking about btw?

And if your even getting "opposite normals but are linked" and other errors, that means the author never did press CTRL+F to check for navmesh errors or he didn't knew how to properly edit them in the first place.

Normally if you get erros like that you need to look them up one by one, manually delete that offending navmesh and place it again until it stops giving errors.

Ac3s, got the same error. Not the opposite part, but "triangle 115, edge 2 should be linked to triangle 116, edge 0, but it is not".

I looked at the area in the Creation Kit but can't make much sense of it yet. I'm playing around modding my mods lol, but so far only changing NPCs. The terrain seems a bit more scary, since I was hoping the error in question of these "triangles" would jump out at me.

My mod doing this is Eagle's Nest, a home mod. The author has it in his description he intends to fix it at some point, but it seems others are crashing and I don't want to take the risk if I'm able to "link" these areas "easily".

• 1 month later...

Try the older version of Flash O's Mod. That one seems to be a little more stable. I ran it for over a year and it was fine. Deleted navmeshes are just a part of modding. You can be ridiculously cautious as a modder and do your best to only tweak the original navmesh but the problem is as soon as you make any drastic change or delete a single triangle it marks it as "deleted" It's a bit of a flaw of the Creation Kit IMO.

Anyway I wouldn't sweat the deleted navmeshes unless you know for a fact it's causing CTDs. Even Bethesda created deleted navmeshs when they modified the navmeshes in Breezehome and the various other vanilla homes. They did their best by using "Navcut" primitives instead of deleting triangles, but even Bethesda being as careful as they could, created a deleted navmesh.

So again. Don't worry about the deleted navmeshes unless it's causing a problem. I modified my version of the Eagle's nest myself to fill it full of bandits in the beginning as well as add interior rooms to both of the side towers for additional followers. I ran that for over a year and didn't have any issues.

• 1 year later...

I keep running across a problem where the vanilla Nav mesh vanishes, before I ever try to nav mesh a area. just for example, the mod I am working on covers three outside cells. I added some buildings, people, patrol markers, and raised or lowered the ground in a couple of places. then I open the Nav mesh editor to link doors, cut object holes stuff like that but the instant it opens I find all the nav meshes are gone. what could be causing this and because its around Lakeview manor it seems to interfere with the NPC's there.