Unofficial Patch crashes my game...

nafeasonto

But the OP's problem IS a known issue as they have issued a fix for it.

So the issue WAS being caused by USKP.

What? How did you get from the first line to the second line?

The AFK site identifies the Hotfix as fixing the last remaining weaponrack script bug. It fixes something that already exists in the game, the bad weaponrack script. The Hotfix NEEDS version 1.3.3c of the USKP to work, it doesn't FIX version 1.3.3c of the USKP. It fixes Skyrim. Incremental fixes are standard in large software systems/programs. Look at all the official patches to Skyrim; not even Zenimax could fix everything wrong with Skyrin in one patch.

The UOP team is striving to give Skyrim players the experience which Skyrim was intended to give, but didn't. I do not understand your quickness to condem a bunch of people trying their best to help you.

If you really want to make a constructive post, figure out what triggered the script errors for the OP in the first place AND why it doesn't affect every other USKP user out there. No? I didn't think so.

---

A very satisfied and appreciative USKP user

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way you can actually reliably test the USKP is to do the following:

I don't usually have logging enabled, so I was just curious as to the OP's claim of log spamming. A bad error in the USKP might cause log spam no matter what. I just wanted to see if that was true. Of course, it wasn't.

However, the UOP modders have a big job; their patches must not only fix things, they must maintain compatability with the intent and abilities of the Creation Kit, at least, and good Papyrus scripting as well. Their fixes can't "break" any of the official modding tools, nor, by implication, any well crafted mods produced by those tools. A difficult, even scary position to be in. I admire them for taking on the responsibilty. Consider mods with "workarounds" implemented for a known bug. Its entirely possible to break those mods by fixing the original bug. Whose is at "fault" in such a case if a UOP fixes a real bug, but breaks some mods in the process?

Rigorous testing needs a sandbox. But general use implies a real-world scenario. The UOP's have to work in the midst of many mods and many modding styles, hence testing them with mods present does not invalidate a test. In fact, that is the real test for the value added by the UOPs, or even official patches for that matter. It goes way beyond officially patched, vanilla Skyrim.

But the OP's problem IS a known issue as they have issued a fix for it.

So the issue WAS being caused by USKP.

What? How did you get from the first line to the second line?

Because without that Hot Fix, the OP was getting a 10 MB Papyrus log within minutes from the broken script "fix" in the USKP, which is what was crashing his game. They've been trying to fix that weapons rack bug for months. With USKP, Crash City. Without USKP, No Crash. With USKP plus the Hot Fix, No Crash.

The UOP team is striving to give Skyrim players the experience which Skyrim was intended to give, but didn't. I do not understand your quickness to condem a bunch of people trying their best to help you.

Careful, you're wearing out your knee pads. Are you sure you like the taste?

I did not do any of that at all.

Like most mod authors they are doing it for themselves, for their own reasons, their own satisfaction, their own enjoyment. Luckily, for the rest of us, they also make the patch public.

If you really want to make a constructive post, figure out what triggered the script errors for the OP in the first place AND why it doesn't affect every other USKP user out there. No? I didn't think so.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it doesn't affect me as I don't bother with the Companions and I don't care about weapon racks. So that script, the bad fix, and the Hot Fix would never run in my game.

~.~

Guys I need to be honest I don't know anymore. I was really extremely annoyed at this issue, and just exhauted everyone available option. I am just so tired of troubleshooting now. I don't know what it is anymoe, and officially just can't do this.

sorry fi I was an ass, but I can't stand having an issue with this and I can't even play the game.

Just something is not right, if you search "skyrim freezing" with the search tools on google for the last month, you will see a lot of people are getting freezing and some saying "this wasnt happening before."

I am not the only one, I seriously can't stand not being able to fix an issue. However the hotscript fix did stop my log from growing to 20megabytes. In a matter of 1 minute.

Just something is not right...

I've actually been trying to duplicate your error and cannot get a single weaponrack entry in my log file. I do not have the Hotfix, but I have the 1.3.3c version of USKP. Now, you said you did some troubleshooting, but had 3 mods active:

"I re installed Skyrim and activated 3 mods: Alternative Life, SkyUI, A quality world map. Then the unofficial patches. yes I use BOSS."

You said there were immediate errors. Have you tried plain, vanilla Skyrim and JUST the USKP?

I'm willing to set up a Skyrim identical to yours when the error starts (I've got four Skyrim testing directories right now, one more won't hurt). Just need to know the exact NEXUS, or other, mods (I won't use Steam workshop) and mod versions added to a completely vanilla install (the DLC is okay), what mod manager and how (OMOD, install script, "just the default install", etc) you installed them, and the load order from the Skyrim launcher Data Files list (Not a BOSS log). And basically what you did FROM A NEW GAME START to trigger the log spam. I'll PM you with what I find, if anything.

Edited by Lord Garon

Two things you shouldn't do

• Install USKP and resume playing a save you made from Vanilla skyrim half way through the game.
  • Play the same save game after uninstalling big mods especially ones that add scripts to the game.

The only advice I can give you is to start a new game after you install USKP. Doing the above is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Two things you shouldn't do

• Install USKP and resume playing a save you made from Vanilla skyrim half way through the game.
  • Play the same save game after uninstalling big mods especially ones that add scripts to the game.

The only advice I can give you is to start a new game after you install USKP. Doing the above is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thanks for the concern, but I have four separate and independent Skyrim setups on my machine, as well as a vanilla install for cloning. Each setup has its own Skyrim, savegame and appdata directories so they don't interact. A new setup is exactly like a new install, just have to change a few symlinks to make any of them the "active" game. A new setup for mod testing only takes a few minutes to get going. In fact, I already have one ready to test this issue.

Edited by Lord Garon

Thanks nafeasonto for changing name I still don't think it's correct but it is a lot better than your original title it is now a point you can debate and try to justify your stance on

However that stance is still wrong what Lord Garon is saying is correct and it is a Skyrim bug that they USkP fixed some time ago however a few unlucky people were still having the issue you have had

one resourceful user figured out the fix and proved to the USkP team through reasoned argument and I believe he met some initial resistance to his argument but he continued and his new fix (The Hotfix) was tested and accepted for the next release of the USkP v2 now being Bete tested

They dont release individual fixes on Nexus because a fix of one thing can break another so fixes are released in groups remember these are for all Skyrim users not just those wiuth a current issue (why the hotfix was not on nexus)

The team is Likely very small most are and they are doing this in there own time for no reward other than our thanks they can and will make mistakes but without there fixes many more crashes glitches and the like

They are not doing it for their own benefit most will never play skyrim the game most prolific modders don't play the game they might test in the game but not play it.

bugs that ruin your enjoyment of a paid for product should be fixed by those taking the money many games are never fixed because they don't get modded

They are not doing it for their own benefit most will never play skyrim the game most prolific modders don't play the game they might test in the game but not play it.

That's absolute nonsense. Most mod makers make mods ENTIRELY for their own benefit and absolutely no other reason at all. The fact they share them is a bonus. Very few mod makers do it just for endorsements and votes.

I tire of the crawling, sycophantic, Pedestal-Putting trend of regarding clever mod makers as some sort of self-sacrificing saints, floating four inches off the floor and walking on water, who are doing everything for other people's benefit. THEY. ARE. NOT.

They are doing it because it is a hobby, they enjoy it and they do play the game. That's what motivates them to make mods, including bug fixes. You think they sit at their PC waiting for people to complain about bugs and then rush to fix them for the benefit of others, when they don't even play the game themselves?

What IS true, is that when you start making mods you do tend to play less, because you are spending a lot of your free time modding instead of just playing with other people's mods.

~.~