Unofficial Patch crashes my game...

nafeasonto

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what does the load order after boss look like?

i have to manually place the unofficial patches now, because BOSS puts them in the wrong order for some weird reason.

should look like:

unofficial

skyrim

update

unofficial skyrim parch

Dawnguard

Unofficial dawnguard

hearthfire

unofficial hearthfire

etc etc

but for me, BOSS places both unofficial skyrim and dawngaurd patches at the bottom of the master load order list. Now because BOSS is getting it wrong, in wyre bash, the SUM patch is orange because it wants the incorrect load order of the unofficial files, i mean, come on, sort it out.

i have to manually place the unofficial patches now, because BOSS puts them in the wrong order for some weird reason.

should look like:

unofficial

skyrim

update

unofficial skyrim parch

Dawnguard

Unofficial dawnguard

hearthfire

unofficial hearthfire

etc etc

but for me, BOSS places both unofficial skyrim and dawngaurd patches at the bottom of the master load order list. Now because BOSS is getting it wrong, in wyre bash, the SUM patch is orange because it wants the incorrect load order of the unofficial files, i mean, come on, sort it out.

I've never experienced such a problem. Update your BOSS and make sure you are in fact running 2.0+ unofficial patches.

should look like:

unofficial

skyrim

update

unofficial skyrim parch

Dawnguard

Unofficial dawnguard

hearthfire

unofficial hearthfire

etc etc

I've never experienced such a problem. Update your BOSS and make sure you are in fact running 2.0+ unofficial patches.

according to NMM i am running 2.0.2 of the unofficial and 2.0.1 of the others, which says it's the latest in the NMM and i always set BOSS to update masterlist pre-sorting.

The issue you experience with BOSS is due to masterlist not keeping up with new versions of Mods.

MasterList has to be manually updated with every mod change, only 20 people have ever done that with only about 5 active at any one time.

The simple fact is to much work not enough workers.

BOSS v3 changes the system to an automatic one based on what they affect in the game and not a list.

2 users with exactly same mods can be given different load orders and that has confused those who don't understand how the load orders and BOSS actually work. The misinformation and fear generated has caused the author to change his plan of replacing BOSS v2 with v3, a plan already started by freezing v2 masterlist to perfect v3 in the final stage of dealiing with the few non standard Mods like Bashed patch and SkyProc Mods. So now BOSS v3 is renamed LOOT and BOSS v2 will continue to be updated for a while.

This is likely the cause of the problem. Be in no doubt though BOSS v2 will end and the sooner the better.

As I've said BOSS Masterlist is manually updated which produces a nice neat list of Mods all in selected groups and each group ordered alphabetically. So neat and so ordered for the masterlist updaters benefit, not ours.

This inevitably produces a list always the same for everybody, giving rise to the belief expressed in posts here and elsewhere. Which is:

There is only one correct Load Order "The Masterlist Order".

Actually that's never been claimed by BOSS and is totally wrong.

Closer to the truth is would be to say, there is only one correct Grouping Order but within each group the individual mod order does not matter at all.

Still not the whole truth but about 95% of it.

Just think about it this way. If only one correct Load Order actually was true would groups be sorted alphabetically ? No !!!

To see these Groups open the User settings window in BOSS v2 or BUM Tool.

Both would not exist, if only one correct Load Order actually did.

Mods usually placed wherever end up at bottom of Order when the masterlist has not been updated for that version.

LOOT works in a different way completely.

It checks what the mods actually require and orders them based only on that not on a list.

As long as a working order is made the actual mod order within a group doesn't matter.

It is a work of pure need of the game and mods and the sooner people understand the better.

There never was one Order to rule them all and now it's been LOOTed, and broken up into useful parts.

• 4 months later...

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with the OP as well.

I just installed Skyrim to try something different - the STEP project, which I so far like quite a bit. I've added a few extra mods I've played with for years and know them to work correctly. Well here I come around the bend heading towards Whiterun and CRASH. Tried it again and CRASH. Disabled some mods via MO and tried again. CRASH. CRASH. CRASH. Then I ran across another post saying the Unofficial Skyrim Patch caused their crashes. So I disabled them and enabled all the mods I just disabled and tried again. Success!

Then I got to thinking, as it's been a while since I've played Skyrim, about all the problems the Unofficial Hearthfire patch caused...makes perfect sense now. I have a feeling that many of the other problems I've encountered and had to apply a mod to will be fixed as well. We will see. I just wonder what issues I'll run into WITHOUT the Unofficial patches.

I'm not here to bash the Unofficial Patch crew, as I applaud their effort. But their patches do have problems. Game breaking problems. If it works for you great. If you're having issues, at least give it a shot.

Do you have loose files in data folder? They WILL tamper with your mods, as they overwrite everything else.

I had issues with them, and apparently problem was with Mod Organizer putting loose files in data over everything else, basically blocking out mods, that were changing vanilla Skyrim stuff.

Edited by raxo2222

Do you have loose files in data folder? They WILL tamper with your mods, as they overwrite everything else.

I had issues with them, and apparently problem was with Mod Organizer putting loose files in data over everything else, basically blocking out mods, that were changing vanilla Skyrim stuff.

If set up correctly, Mod Organizer extracts ALL .bsa's. So you get everything in loose files. Means whatever comes last "wins". Way easier to manage like that.

• 1 year later...

Just gonna hop in here and say I'm a novice modder but I also have problems with the Unofficial patches. While I may be a novice I have trouble-shot plenty and found that it is the UOPs causing it.

Thanks to all those trying to help find a fix or at least bring this to attention.

I love the UOP's. They've cleaned up my game immensely fixing countless bugs. But for some odd reason, out of nowhere my game has a meltdown. After hours of troubleshooting, I also found the Unnoficial Patches the cause of my ctd's. But my crashes are different, my game crashes when the Skyrim logo comes up and just before the options to Continue, Start, Load a save file.

I went through one by one disabling .esp's from my load order in NMM, using LOOT and finally got down to the point where it looked like this:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

Dawnguard.esm

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

HearthFires.esm

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp

Dragonborn.esm

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

My game STILL crashed at the Skyrim logo. :wallbash: I've had Skyrim meltdowns before, but nothing like this. I continued to uncheck until i was left with Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp.................crash. Now, feeling defeated after putting over 150+ hours into my Redguard, Im going to reinstall Skyrim from scratch and truly see if the Patches were messing up my game.