BSA - extraction (Basic question)

Sucrilhus

Hey there,

I'm attempting to edit my skyrim so I can have german voice while having english subtitles.

The problem is, dawnguard and the other DLCs put the voice and texts in the same bsa.

I know absolutely nothing about modding, but I've been peeking around online and I learned about FMM, which allows me to open and extract bsa files.

My plan currently is:

1) Install german skyrim

2) Extract the dawnguard.bsa (german version)

3) Reinstall skyrim in english

4) extract the dawnguad.bsa (english version) into skyrim/data folder

5) Copy all the sound files from the extracted danguard.bsa (german) into my skyrim/data folder and overwrite all files requested.

Is this a correct method?

I would like at least one thumbs up from someone who knows about modding before attempting this.

If this is not right, could someone give me some light on what to do?

Please, keep in mind that I'm a complete ignorant with modding in general. So, the simpler the method, the better for me.

Thank you all in advance,

any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Sucrilhus

Well, the first thing that occurs to me, is take your German Skyrim, and rather than delete it, throw it in a dead folder.

Then if your first attempt is a failure, you still have all you German files. You can try again.

Hi Oracle,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I'll end up doing that.

It's just that I have several mods, and that makes my Skyrim/Data be huge. But I guess that's the best I can do, since I have to go blind.

TUTORIAL - HOW TO HAVE SKYRIM IN ANY LANGUAGE WHILE KEEPING ENGLISH SUBTITLES:

Hi guys,

It worked :smile:

If anyone reading this is curious about how to do it, here are the few steps I did.

1) Install skyrim in the desired language for the audio.

**To do so, go on steam, right click the game on the list, go to properties, language, select the language.... steam will automatically update the game to the desired language.

It is a quick process since no texture or other files will be downloaded.

2) Copy from Skyrim/Data to a separate folder elsewhere (Like your desktop) the following files:

*** Skyrim - Voices.bsa

*** Skyrim - Voices extra.bsa

*** Hearthfires.bsa (If you have this DLC installed)

*** Dawnguard.bsa (If you have this DLC installed)

*** Dragonborn.bsa (If you have this DLC installed)

3) Download Fallout Mod Manager

at: fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/640/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D640&pUp=1

Even though the name says "fall out", you will use it to extract bsa files of skyrim.

4) Extract the "sound" folders of these files: Hearthfires.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa (I created a folder on my desktop called "Skyrim German")

5) Throw your Skyrim - Voices.bsa and Skyrim - Voices extra.bsa at that same folder. (In my case "Skyrim German")

6) Put all the content of this desktop folder into a .rar file and import it to NMM (So you'll be safe to uninstall and bring the game back to english whenever you want)

7) On steam, set your game to english.

8 ) After steam finished updating, install your "mod" through nexus.

Enjoy ^^

Edited by Sucrilhus