Enemy Within Discovery Thread

Krazyguy75

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again folks...I am back trying to help with some modding. My first attempt was to repair larger pods from LW to work with EW and found I bit off more than i can chew after being away nearly a year..One of the other great features of LW i loved was the options at loadout can someone point me to how this was accomplished so I can look into porting that instead.

Thank you all, this is a great little community here.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes..Everyone involved in LW made a good game Great!! and I thank you for it..just trying in my small way to help rebuild it

Edited by tsanford01

That's a good question. I'm assuming the research requirements are placed in the same relative place that any other research requirement is for any other item, like foundry upgrades or the build/buy item store. EDIT: Derp, foundry projects are in the DGC, but gene mods aren't.

Gonna look into the meld/credit cost now. EDIT: m_iMeldAwardedPerContainer in DefaultGameData.ini modifies how much you get from each container you pick up, though this doesn't modify the 40 you unlock for researching Meld in the first place. Still checking.

EDIT: Aha! Found it! XGTechTree.BuildGeneTechs in XComStrategyGame.upk corresponds to the actual objects for each gene mod. If we look at the BuildGeneModTech() function, then we learn that the function call lists all the requirements for each mod. In particular, the ones you're looking for are the second, fourth, and fifth numbers. The second is the tech requirement, the fourth is the Meld cost, and the fifth is the credit cost. (For reference, the first number corresponds to the gene mod that you're modifying, the third corresponds to the time it takes to implant the mod, and the sixth corresponds to the perk number that you're applying. In theory, you could change option six to any other perk number to replace the effects of the mod with those of another perk.)

XGTechTree.BuildGeneTechs

That's good thank you. I'm compiling all the info on the Gene Mods and I've had looked at the .cfg files but I couldn't find the actual costs.

So I'm not a huge fan of the gene-mod soldiers armor decos. Is there a way to make it so gene-mod soldiers use the default armor decos? I'd really like that.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM DRUNK WITH POWER!! So I went into the Default Content Config file and just below the armor kit things is a list of armor deco things. (I'm in on the lingo I know) There is a bunch of armor deco lines that look like this.

UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_2_Skeleton,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleSkeleton.ARC_MaleSkeleton")
UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_3_Ghost,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleGhost.ARC_MaleGhost")
UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_1_Kevlar,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleKevlar.ARC_MaleKevlar")
Not sure if I posted that right, anyways all rights to Firaxis. So a bunch of lines lower then this is has the exact same format except GM (Gene-Mod) is thrown in. So I left the GM in the achetype and removed all instances of GM within the quotations so that when the game goes to look for the gene-mod achetypes it takes the default ones instead! And it worked! Nothing I try works on the first try! Anyways I hope someone gets a kick out of this and maybe were annoyed as I was about the gene-mod skins.
EDIT2: So not a total victory, while the soldier is not longer wearing an armored tank-top into battle, switching the armor decos only switches the shoulder pads and elbow pads as if they still had the gene-mod skin. I don't really mind though, but just letting people who might want to copy me,
Edited by Satoron

So I'm not a huge fan of the gene-mod soldiers armor decos. Is there a way to make it so gene-mod soldiers use the default armor decos? I'd really like that.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM DRUNK WITH POWER!! So I went into the Default Content Config file and just below the armor kit things is a list of armor deco things. (I'm in on the lingo I know) There is a bunch of armor deco lines that look like this.

UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_2_Skeleton,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleSkeleton.ARC_MaleSkeleton")
UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_3_Ghost,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleGhost.ARC_MaleGhost")
UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_1_Kevlar,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleKevlar.ARC_MaleKevlar")
Not sure if I posted that right, anyways all rights to Firaxis. So a bunch of lines lower then this is has the exact same format except GM (Gene-Mod) is thrown in. So I left the GM in the achetype and removed all instances of GM within the quotations so that when the game goes to look for the gene-mod achetypes it takes the default ones instead! And it worked! Nothing I try works on the first try! Anyways I hope someone gets a kick out of this and maybe were annoyed as I was about the gene-mod skins.

See the thread 'Unlock all Decorative Armors for all Armors'. On page 2 Amineri identified the change you need to make.

Ninja'd: I see you worked it out while I was posting.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

See the thread 'Unlock all Decorative Armors for all Armors'. On page 2 Amineri identified the change you need to make.

Ninja'd: I see you worked it out while I was posting.

-Dubious-

Oh okay cool! Thanks! Amineri always does cool stuff, unfortunately being the programming dullard that I am, I can't make changes to UPK files unless I have a unique hex string to find the offset so I can use toolboks to insert the changed result. I have tried using the modding tools, but I'm hopeless without you guys to help me with stuff like that by doing it first. It's okay though, I got this to work mostly. =D

Edited by Satoron

EDIT2: So not a total victory, while the soldier is not longer wearing an armored tank-top into battle, switching the armor decos only switches the shoulder pads and elbow pads as if they still had the gene-mod skin. I don't really mind though, but just letting people who might want to copy me,

N/M

Error on my part.

Satoron, I just have to say, you're goddamned sexual tyranosarus and a true man amongst men. :p :p :p

Edited by PsyckoSama

Just tried allying it and the soldier and pawn is now INVISIBLE for some reason...

So let me see if I can be helpful. So this is what I do and it works for me and it should work for others because I haven't changed that much, but that's a big "should." First off, in the installation folder located at xew/xcomgame/config is a folder called "defaultcontent" This is the file that the game will copy into your documents/mygames/xcomEW/xcomgame/config and create the file "xcomcontent" if xcomcontent isn't there. So whenever I modify a defaultconfig file I delete the old corresponding xcomconfig file at documents/mygames/xcomEW/xcomgame/config so that when the game starts it creates a new file with the data from the defaultconfig file in the installation file. Please delete files responsibly however, you should prolly backup just to be safe, sometimes you don't want to delete some of those things like the xcomimput one has all your saved keybindings. So that right there might be your problem, that your old xcomcontent file is chillin out and the game's confused or summat, idunno.

As far as my modifications directly to the defaultcontent file are concerned, let me try to explain better.

UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_2_Skeleton_GM,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleSkeleton.ARC_MaleSkeleton")

So this is what one of the lines looks like AFTER I modded it. See how I left the GM that was outside of the quotations alone? That makes it so that when the game goes to look for the GM model it finds it, however, I changed the model it ends up using by removing the GM from the texture file name or what-have-you, the thing in quotations. That name that is in the quotations in the name of the file for the default armor deco, so no more armored tank top. This would explain why it's invisible for you, really, the game is looking for the GM model and it can't find it. Let it find the GM model, but direct it to the default model, think of it that way.

UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_3_Ghost_GM,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleGhost.ARC_MaleGhost")
UnitPackageInfo=(PawnType=ePawnType_Male_1_Kevlar_GM,ArchetypeName="Soldier_MaleKevlar.ARC_MaleKevlar")

Here are two more to look at for reference.

So the thing is, the gene mod armor works differently then the rest in that this fix you're doing here replaced the armor tank top with the default (deco 1) armor in EVERY WAY. Including the fact that when you switch decos the only thing that changes are the elbow/shoulderpads and nothing else. I found a way to insert my favorite deco for an armor in there by basically fitting my favorite armor around the default armor where I made the default armor look like psi armor cause psi armor is pretty skin-tight to minimize clipping. If you want to hear more about that story, let me know, I don't want to bore everyone with my makeshift fixes when Amineri or one of the other awesome modders will prolly find a magical function in the UPK files that all you do is change it and it considers gene mod soldiers to be default soldiers for armor deco purposes.

Edited by Satoron