Enemy Within Discovery Thread

Krazyguy75

Hi Drakous79

I tried this but without success. After replacing both XComGame.exe and XComEW.exe with TexMod (and renaming them to XComGameReal.exe and XComEWReal.exe) and launching XCOMLauncher.exe, TexMod is activated. However, after "pointing" TexMod at XComGameReal.exe and the relevant textures, pressing "Run" in TexMod evokes TexMod again.

Thanks again!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tested that, but unfortunately it just sends the process into that same loop again.

Oddly, I renamed XComGame.exe but forgot to rename the TexMod.exe I put in there to start with. Steam then refused to run the game saying the executable was missing. Even when I replaced the XComEW.exe and tried running that it fell over, until I remembered to rename TexMod to XComGame and then the loop happened. That is odd, and means that Steam still runs XComGame.exe first which then pulls up XCOMLauncher before you select a game.

It is little executable ping pong. I think it works this way:

Step 1 - start (how the game is started ... by Steam or by directly running one of executable files)

• Steam (play button in Steam Library or desktop shortcut) calls XComGame.exe
  • XComEW.exe calls XComGame.exe
  • XCOMLauncher.exe calls XComGame.exe

If XComEW.exe or XCOMLauncher.exe is missing, XCOM EU starts.

Step 2 - choose EU or EW

• XComGame.exe calls XCOMLauncher.exe

Step 3 - launch chosen version

• XCOMLauncher.exe calls either XComGame.exe or XComEW.exe with additional parameters like -FROMLAUNCHER or -LANGUAGE=INT (FRA, ITA, DEU, ESN, RUS, POL, KOR, JPN, CHT). Language switch is used for XCOM EW.

To supress the launcher for XCOM EU, add -FROMLAUNCHER into game's launch options (Steam / Library / right click XCOM: Enemy Unknown and select Properties / General tab / Set launch options... button). Please keep in mind, that when the launcher is supressed, XCOM EW cannot be started.

Now the funny part. Run original XComGame.exe (no renaming) from Texmod. Don't use desktop shortcut or Steam's play button.

These two things got me into the game without loops. But Texmod isn't working - no interface in the game.

Edited by Drakous79

Guys, for XCOM EU, use executable file for Texmod swap, as we are used to. Rename XCOMLauncher.exe to something else to avoid loops. Start the game with desktop shortcut or with play button in Steam Library to avoid multiple Texmod's runs.

Texmod installation for XCOM EU with XCOM EW expansion:

1. Rename XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XCOMLauncher.exe (XCOMLauncher.exec)
  2. Rename XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe (XComGameReal.exe)
  3. Copy Texmod into XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\ and rename it to XComGame.exe
  4. Start the game with desktop shortcut or with play button in Steam Library.
  5. Browse... for target application XComGameReal.exe after Texmod starts.
  6. Setup Texmod and hit run button.

Restore XCOMLauncher.exe's name, when you want to play EW expansion again.

Texmod installation for XCOM EW:

1. Make sure there is XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XCOMLauncher.exe
  2. Rename XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe (XComEWReal.exe)
  3. Copy Texmod into XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\ and rename it to XComEW.exe
  4. Start the game and select Enemy Within. In case of XComGame.exe being Texmod, just select XComGameReal.exe and hit run button.
  5. Browse... for target application XComEWReal.exe after Texmod starts.
  6. Setup Texmod and hit run button.
Edited by Drakous79

Created wiki article 'Modifying Textures - XCOM:EU 2012' from the above discoveries.

Note that I found the Universal Modding Engine (uMod) is supposedly the direct successor to Texmod (now on release 2.0alpha). (Source: Open Texmod/uMod Project page.) Anyone with any experience with that tool: please let us know if it works or not, and if there are any differences in implementing it that should be noted.

-Dubious-

Resource hacker doesn't work for me on EW. I've changed the stat values on starting soldiers to 70 Aim 60 Will, but the first mission soldiers are the base 65 Aim, 40 Will. I've tried booting it in offline mode, disconnecting from the internet, pretty much everything, and it's refusing to include my changes. Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Edited by DariusGarran

Created wiki article 'Modifying Textures - XCOM:EU 2012' from the above discoveries.

Note that I found the Universal Modding Engine (uMod) is supposedly the direct successor to Texmod (now on release 2.0alpha). (Source: Open Texmod/uMod Project page.) Anyone with any experience with that tool: please let us know if it works or not, and if there are any differences in implementing it that should be noted.

-Dubious-

Along the same lines as above, I found the following link to TexMod AutoLoad

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=4854682

Once you set it up, this program is supposed to allow you to automatically load the textures with TexMod and then start the game with a single click. I could not get it to work, but if anyone has any success in getting it working for XCOM pls share with us your experience.

Regards,

Edited by whcl

Thank you :smile: The article has very good overview section.

whcl, happy it works for you too!

Happy new year :smile with party hat:

Edited by Drakous79