[wip/recruitment] The Changing Seasons of Skyrim

snapmoderator

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guys are making 'Beyond Skyrim' mod with entire Tamriel on it. If Seriously Sensational Sublime Seasons integrates with that then what it will be called - Seriously Sensational Sublime Seasons of Tamriel / Tamriel overhaul seasons ?

I imagined a lot about the visuals of the seasons yesterday. Funny thing is i saw it in dream in the night (last night). Now in morning i've a good feelings about that, this mod will gonna be a superhit :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I got a quick reply from ianphatt

The current thread is here: http://forums.bethso...t-extender-skse. I was away in another state without access to the internet when it filled up, so shadeMe made the new thread. Posting there is usually the best way to get requests filled.

If you want to try to decode classes yourself, take a look at the SKSE source code and find the class corresponding to the form you're interested in. In many cases much of the class will be filled in, but the meaning of each field won't be known yet. For a really simple example, let's take the STAT forms:

// 44
class TESObjectSTAT : public TESBoundObject
{
public:
enum { kTypeID = kFormType_Static };

// parents
TESModelTextureSwap texSwap; // 20

// members
// 8
struct Data3C
{
float unk0;
UInt32 unk4;
};

Data3C unk3C; // 3C
};
Looking at the data stored in the STAT form data on disk, I would guess that Data3C::unk0 is a float storing the "max angle" value, and Data3C::unk4 is a BGSMaterialObject * pointing to the material.

I've posted requests into the forum, but it might be a case of decoding stuff ourselves. Tinymight are you up to the challenge of looking at SKSE source code?

Properties we are looking for:

Miscellaneous->LandTexture: Texture Set, Material Type and Grasses

WorldObjects->Tree: Tree Model, Leaf Amplitude, Leaf Frequency

WorldObjects->Grass: Model Path, Density, Min Slope, Max Slope, Position Range, Height Range, Colour Range, Wave Period

WorldObjects->Flora: Model Path

Miscellaneous->MaterialObject: Change all the properties in this group

Edited by snapmoderator

Done any modding gokuGX? Always good to make your dreams become reality.

Actually i'm pretty new in modding. I work with 3ds max and good in architectural design which is unfamiliar with this mod. I really really wanted to help you guys but i'm running with another project in my University. After 2/3 weeks i'll be free .Then i'll see how can i help. I'm still learning :)

By the meantime, i've found something for you to help with animation. Use it together with SKSE.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/47104/?

And this 1 for Joshezell which may help him texturing grass

http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/4230-100-custom-grass-pyandonean-islands-tuto01/

More from SKSE

Many of those properties would only change the next time a reference's 3d of that base object is loaded (which is not necessarily when you change cells), you wouldn't be able to transition most of it during gameplay without proper model swaps/updates. Textures can be swapped out at runtime, models can be too but it's a little more taxing. The rest of those variables would probably be difficult to alter and update while in the cell. I don't know about land textures, those might be loaded differently and the texture swapping would be different. I can give you sets/gets to most if not all of those properties, but I can't guarantee their effectiveness as transitioning them depends on altering the loaded engine equivalent of that object, not just the base object.

If you intend to DIY you need to decode the following classes:

Spoiler
TESLandTexture

TESObjectSTAT

TESObjectTREE

TESFlora

TESGrass

BGSMaterialObject

Some of them are decoded already so there isn't anything to do there except hook up the functions to their equivalent classes, others would need their classes extended to Papyrus as well as decoded.

More scribbling; I was thinking about how we define periods of when transitions happen. I'm thinking rather than by calendar date we go by time. Seems odd, but you know the first thing people are going to want to do is to see the changing of seasons in a short period of time, just for curiosity or testing. We will be the same for testing. If we have transitions and cycles based on time then we can set intervals via menus with SkyUI. This will mean that seasons are out of sync with the calendar, but users will know this will happen, and we can have a menu option which is sync with calendar.

By default transitions are monthly and daily. So we set monthly transitions at 24(hr)x30x1(frequency)=720. Daily transitions at 24(hr)x1(frequency)=24.

We can just have a frequency number that can be lowered or raised to times these amounts to trigger times when transition events occur.

Now what say if we try and do 4 seasons in one day literally :-P Of course most liking is that when a load happens (interior to exterior, fast travel or even a start game load) that we are going to check if interval is within a certain period. The "problem" being that if a person runs around for half the day without a load, then the season will potentially swap to opposite seasons. Like from summer straight to winter. No problem in my opinion, setting a frequency like this is not exactly gaming immersive anyway, so gamers will have to expect that.

Now what say if we try and do 4 seasons in one day literally :-P Of course most liking is that when a load happens (interior to exterior, fast travel or even a start game load) that we are going to check if interval is within a certain period. The "problem" being that if a person runs around for half the day without a load, then the season will potentially swap to opposite seasons. Like from summer straight to winter. No problem in my opinion, setting a frequency like this is not exactly gaming immersive anyway, so gamers will have to expect that.

Yes, I would be less worried about transition immersion than actually getting the seasons correct. One thing we will have to come to grips with is that if we can make this mod it won't be perfect. We are very limited with the current tools. It will be a feat no matter what is accomplished and I think it will be successful.

Just a random Idea..... this is a fantasy world.. why should we be limited to 4 seasons? ;)

Lets have 10....

But on a more serious note, perhaps we could have each season cycle twice per year?

Also, here's another Idea. When the season changes, we don't have to change all the objects at once, the transition could even last almost a week. For example, consider the transition from Winter to Spring. On the first day of the transition the snow on the trees could become lighter, the next day, the snow material shader becomes very slightly browner and less 'dense', The next day snow becomes 'mushy', the next day Trees lose all their snow, the next day the snow material shader is 'turned off', the next day foliage becomes greener, the next day remaining snow melts and ground is muddy, next day grass becomes denser and more flowers start to appear.

If we expand this transition out over a months, it will allow the user to experience 'changes' without having to play for large amounts of time. And thus we can get away with having 4 seasons per year as in the real world.