Screen tearing

Drax8

Hi all,

Got a new issue that popped up after the latest install, have never ever had this issue before. I get pretty noticeable screen tearing when playing in full screen mode. VSync is enabled, and have tried turning it off, still the same. I tried playing in windowed mode and using the Simple Borderless Window mod, which is really cool, and that did remove the screen tearing.

However, I really prefer to plat in fullscreen mode, so I have control of the in game brightness slider, and the colors are a little washed out in windowed mode.

Any suggestions of things to try are very welcome.

My specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz

EVGA GTX 670 4GB

16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Coolermaster 850W PS

Windows 7 64

ASUS 60hz monitor, FPS capped at 60 through Nvidia Inspector

If you want to cap your FPS, you need to disable VSync. If you disable VSync, tearing is often a side effect.

However, with NVidia inspector you might be able to minimize the problem, at least it did the trick for me:

1. Make sure you have VSync off in the prefs ini (iPresentInterval=0) and also force off in Nvidia Inspector.

2. Then, adjust these settings I also have these settings:

Vertical ASync Smooth AFR Behavior= Off

Vertical Sync Tear Control = Adaptive

If you don't see thopse options, you may need to update the Inspector or your graphics drivers.

I had a lot of tear until I changed the tear control to adaptive. Now the tearing is less frequent and much less noticable.

Sadly, pieeye, I have no idea if there is a similar fix for AMD. One would hope.

Thanks Georgiegril for the suggestions. Tried, but didn't work :( However I did manage to fix the issue. I have never had an issue with capping the frame rate before, but by simply turning it off, and using vsync, it is fine now. Weird. But whatever works!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I am having a similar issue and am looking for some assistance. I thought at first that it was all the mods that I had installed. So I completely uninstalled them, uninstalled the game, then deleted all files remaining on my system. After reinstalling the game, I have installed the alternate start mod, stuttering fix, and borderless windowed mode. I have set V sync to be forced on and tried the fpsclamp command to keep my fps at 60. With the two fixes installed and the Vsync forced on there is less screen tearing but it is still there and quite often. It does not matter if I am in windowed or full screen, and I should note that I have started an entirely new file as well to eliminate that as an option. I have been unable to find any other suggestions. My video card is an AMD Catalyst 5700. Any help would be very welcomed.

I am having a similar issue and am looking for some assistance. I thought at first that it was all the mods that I had installed. So I completely uninstalled them, uninstalled the game, then deleted all files remaining on my system. After reinstalling the game, I have installed the alternate start mod, stuttering fix, and borderless windowed mode. I have set V sync to be forced on and tried the fpsclamp command to keep my fps at 60. With the two fixes installed and the Vsync forced on there is less screen tearing but it is still there and quite often. It does not matter if I am in windowed or full screen, and I should note that I have started an entirely new file as well to eliminate that as an option. I have been unable to find any other suggestions. My video card is an AMD Catalyst 5700. Any help would be very welcomed.

Are you using ENB?

If so, find ENBlocal.ini in your Skyrim folder, find the block [ENGINE] and set "EnableVSync=" to "true". Save file. Vsync will NOT WORK if you have ENB and this is set to "false".

Whether or not you have ENB:

Find Skyrim.ini, add "iPresentInterval=1" to the [Display] block. Save file.

Find Nvidia Control Panel, set your Vsync to "Use the 3d application setting". Apply and close.

Make sure you are using the fastest data cable input available for your monitor/gpu setup. Having a slow data transfer between your monitor and GPU is the #1 cause of screen tearing.

Edited by Noortje