Shield of Solitude - Can't Disenchant?

Zykerion

I have no idea if this is the right place for a thread like this or not, but I've been Google-fu-ing for the past hour and apparently I'm the only person this seems to be happening to.

I can't seem to disenchant the Shield of Solitude, despite every single resource I find about the Shield and the Resist Magic effects saying that I should be able to to get the slightly different version of the Resist Magic effect from this shield.

Has anyone ever experienced a similar issue, and if so, how did they go about managing to get this other effect off of the shield?

Thanks very much for your time.

1. I'm not looking for a mod.

2. The Shield of Solitude isn't included in that list, because it's :supposed: to be disenchantable in the base game without any mods whatsoever.

But for whatever reason, the game will not allow me to disenchant the shield because it says I know the enchantment already. I do have one version of the Resist Magic enchantment, but according to everything I've been able to find, the Shield should be disenchantable for a different version of that enchantment. I was wondering if anyone else had run into this issue at all and what might be done to fix it. Apparently there aren't any console commands to remove an enchantment effect from your learned list (I thought maybe the problem was from ordering, I.E. needing to get the Shield's version first, then getting the regular version).

Edit: So, I just tried a little experiment. I went into my mod loader and disabled the Unofficial Skyrim Patch and ran the game, and then took the shield to a disenchanting table. Lo and behold, the Shield was available for disenchanting. I'm guessing that there's something in the USKP (most likely the fix to one of its leveled variants displaying the incorrect resist magic amount) that for whatever reason also changes the enchantment on the shield to one that isn't 'different'. Hopefully the temporary disabling of the mod and then re-enabling won't cause any issues with the game, but I do have a separate file that's before I did this, so I'll keep an eye out for any problems.

Edited by Zykerion

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I found this. I was trying to figure out what I'd done as well because of the exact same issue. Based on what you said, I checked the changelog for the USKP and found the following entries:

• v1.0 - (2012-04-07): The level 32-39 Shield of Solitude (10EB63) now has the correct level enchantment, not the weaker one for the level 25-31 version
  • v1.0 - (2012-04-07): Fixed the following weapons and armor not being improvable at a workbench or grindstone: ... Shield of Solitude (9E023/10EB62/3/4/5
  • v1.2.7 - (2013-01-18): The Shield of Solitude was incorrectly set to use impact sounds for light armor and incorrectly flagged as light shield material.
  • v2.0.0 - (2013-10-28): Enchantments MS06EnchShieldL12, MS06EnchShieldL18, MS06EnchShieldL25, MS06EnchShieldL32, and MS06EnchShieldL40 (used by the Shield of Solitude) were all set to the incorrect base enchantment type. (Bug #13615)

Just based on date ( and hey, the fact that it is about enchantments ) as I never encountered this until this last playthrough, I'm guessing it's that bug #13615 fix in v2.0.0.

It might be a bugfix instead of an accidental error, though. Should the shield have always been disenchantable or was that a goof on Bethesda's part? I'm registering over at afkmods so I can ask in the USKP forum. Tried to search by that bug # to get any relevant information, but I think I am too stupid to figure out their system.

I appreciate what uskp has been doing but I hate how they keep changing what they deem to be bug and label them "incorrect". What if that's bethesda's intention? Afterall there are 2 versions of absorb magicka and stamina anyway just like resist magic. Enchantment of shield of solitude is so great to be "fixed" Edited by blacksupernova

Got very quick replies over there. It's honestly a bit over my head, but it really does sound like they were fixing a bug. I'll miss the dual resist magic enhancements, of course, but not enough to not use USKP, that's for sure. Here is the link where I initially posted, and then a few posts after that where it is addressed:

http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/2804-relzwipz-unofficial-skyrim-patch/page-16&do=findComment&comment=148856