Making NPCs Wear clothing from a Mod

Draconicone

I added the Apachii Goddess store patch today. I was hoping to make Eyja (My servant in Skingrad's Rosethorn Hall) wear something a little less frumpy. However I used the console and selected the item I wanted to have her wear. I then selected her and used the "equipitem ------" code but it keeps erroring saying that item id parameter doesn't exist.

I left a few articles out, but she hasn't picked them up. I know NPCs usually wear their best equipment, but because its my house she doesnt seem to pick up on her own. I tried to plant it on her using pickpocket, but that didnt work, it just gave me an error saying I couldnt add things when pickpocketing.

Is there any way to make an NPC wear a mod created article of clothing, short of actually learning to mod?

I appreciate any help on this, she's not the only NPC I want to put into a different outfit. I just dont care for the coarse linens and burgundy velvets. :thanks:

I've been wanting a mod like this too.

What I do until I can find one, is if they're not essential, use the 'kill' command on the console, empty their inventory of the crappy clothes, and place what I want them to wear on them.

Then I use the "resurrect 1" command. They are alive again, and wearing the awesome stuffles.

Alternatively, you can edit what they wear in the construction set, and save as a new mod.

Try this mod. You do not have to recruit npcs as companions to share their inventory, you can give gifts of clothing weapons or other and to remove things from their inventory you 'borrow' things, like vanilla clothing and armor - to any NPC.

It seems to run fine alongside the other companion mods.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3066

Active Inventory Spell is great for this and it is something I use often. In fact, it is so convenient that I often use it on my companions because it is quicker than going through their inventory options, or I may want to change something rather quickly on a companion who is not following me. Be that as it may, if you want to change the look of any and all NPC's, then Active Inventory is the way to go.

I also change the clothes of NPC's via the CS, and I happen to use items from the Goddess store. I have not encountered the error you describe, and it may be something with your download or install, but if you simply drag items from another mod onto NPC's, they will not show up in-game. You need to make a copy of the item, giving it a different reference ID, and then drag that one onto the NPC(s) in question.

Thank you all for the input.

The kill them then switch the stuff worked...sorta. Now she's walking around without any attire, but if provoked she will put on one of the wigs. Otherwise it seems the game does not recognize the mod clothing.

Using the console command was my first idea, and attempt, but the mod items apparently aren't accessible through the console, until I do something to them in the CS to make them as scarb suggests.

I am downloading the inventory spell and the companion mod, I will try those later today. However just getting the items in the inventory doesn't seem to be enough to get the NPC to equip them as well.

I'm also downloading the Construction set, I've not used it before, so it should be interesting to use. I hope adjusting the reference IDs is as easy as you make them sound. But I'll fiddle with that later as well. Thank you all for the help.

Thank you all for the input.

The kill them then switch the stuff worked...sorta. Now she's walking around without any attire, but if provoked she will put on one of the wigs. Otherwise it seems the game does not recognize the mod clothing.

Using the console command was my first idea, and attempt, but the mod items apparently aren't accessible through the console, until I do something to them in the CS to make them as scarb suggests.

I am downloading the inventory spell and the companion mod, I will try those later today. However just getting the items in the inventory doesn't seem to be enough to get the NPC to equip them as well.

I'm also downloading the Construction set, I've not used it before, so it should be interesting to use. I hope adjusting the reference IDs is as easy as you make them sound. But I'll fiddle with that later as well. Thank you all for the help.

If you use the Active Inventory Spell, they will equip the items. Unless, of course, you give her two items of armor for the same body part, etc., etc., but if you give her a different maid outfit (for instance), she will equip it.

Regarding changing the reference ID's/making copies. This will basically create a new .esp (your own mod) unless you have another active. Let's say you make your own .esp for changing Eyja. You would load up the data for Oblivion and the Goddess mod. You would then find the item from the goddess mod you want her to wear. You double click that, bringing up its information in the CS. At the top there is a section for reference ID. Simply change this to whatever you want (eg dracon001 or whatever). The CS will then prompt you to save a new form since you changed the ID. You select 'yes'. Then find the new item in the list by the new reference number. Then drag this one to Eyja's inventory and delete whatever item is in there you wish to replace.

If you are interested in changing Eyja's appearance and getting even more of out of her and Rosethorn Hall, might I suggest this wonderful mod - The Romancing of Eyja. This allows you to put many, many difference kinds of clothes in her wardrobe that she will change in and out of depending on the day of the week and the time of day. This also eventually allows her to become a companion of yours, if you so choose to take her along on various outings. It also improves Rosethorn Hall.

If you need any other help or more detailed instructions, please feel free to ask.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived