model viewer for fallout 3 ?

svartberg

I'm doing a full redesign for the plasma rifle for fallout 3, and am at the texturing phase.

I have used 3ds max to test the texturing, but fallout 3 displays textures so differently !

1. How to people test their models/textures ingame, other than restarting fallout 3 each time and loading a save game ? it is so tedious

2. fallout 3 only receives .dds formats, is there any way around this for model previewing ?

cheers !

I'm doing a full redesign for the plasma rifle for fallout 3, and am at the texturing phase.

I have used 3ds max to test the texturing, but fallout 3 displays textures so differently !

1. How to people test their models/textures ingame, other than restarting fallout 3 each time and loading a save game ? it is so tedious

2. fallout 3 only receives .dds formats, is there any way around this for model previewing ?

cheers !

Use Nifskope - textures displayed there closer to ingame look. Only other thing to speed things up a bit- I always save as uncompressed when texturing-MUCH faster,saves a lot of time. But for exact look gotta load up the game...

P.S. Nifskope also displays either BMP and TGA or both,forgot.

Use Nifskope - textures displayed there closer to ingame look. Only other thing to speed things up a bit- I always save as uncompressed when texturing-MUCH faster,saves a lot of time. But for exact look gotta load up the game...

P.S. Nifskope also displays either BMP and TGA or both,forgot.

Cheers, ye I use Nifskope a lot.

However I couldn't display normalmaps and specular maps with it, although the diffuse looks good in NifSkope the whole texture is unrecognizable ingame, maybe I could post some screenshots later.

the way geck shows your stuff is how ingame will look.

geck has a built in standalone previewer, just open the nif file with geck, make Garden of Eden Creation Kit the standard program to open NIF files, then anytime you want to preview your mesh without actually opening the Geck, just double click it.

it will open just the Gecks ingame preview window, but not the whole geck along with it. so you can close the window and the geck wasnt even opened... just the preview app

there couldnt be any truer way of previewing your assets to see how it will appear ingame, this is the intended function of the standalone preview window...

Skree000 that is awesome thanks a lot !

I'm only wondering now if there's a way to rotate lighting or models in the viewer ? as weapons lie naturally on the ground and the only lighting comes from the back.

its not the best, but if you uncheck 'show ground plane' it will hide the ground, and your camera controls will be alot more maneuverable, and it now rotates your view around the model, so you can rotate a bit and see the specular bounce off the 2 lights placed on opposite ends...

as far as rotating a light source, not found that out yet, maybe in future geck releases, or maybe its a hidden option somewhere

ps, to test if your collision box works on your model, drop the ground plane down (with the slider) a few feet below your model, then hit 'Simulate Havok' and it should drop down and bounce on the floor.

if it falls thru, your collision isnt working properly (perhaps badly named or not arranged proper in the nif structure)

Archived