Medieval Themed Skyrim

darksoul123

I think vanilla Skyrim is fine. It is "Medieval" enough.

Medieval Europe refers to the Dark Ages, the time after the Western Roman Empire fell (Like how the Imperial Empire is falling). It's downfall was due to barbarian and viking raids on Northern settlements (like the Stormcloak rebellion). The Dark Ages or "Medieval Times" was a time in European history where barbarians/vikings raided feudal towns, monestaries, and castles. Feudalism was the system of government in Europe at the time, and the same System in Skyrim (the holds each governing themselves).

Skyrim is very much what Europe was like in the Middle Ages, in fact, it parallels with the history almost exactly (except for the dragons, magic, and other obvious stuff).

Good luck, I just think this is not needed.

Edited by MostlyMuggie

I want to turn it into a more medieval setting.

Making a mod to turn a Medieval game Medieval? That'd be like making Cheese flavored Cheese (Which I like.).

But to be serious, like the last guy said, Skyrim is based very roughly on the beginning of the fall of the Roman empire; Civil War, Bandits, Imperial Legion. Even the assassination of the Emperor is alluding to the assassination of Caesar.

There are a few mods out there that turn Skyrim more "Medieval" but their few and far between.

Edited by jdude97

I guess that with "medieval" OP means kind-of-like-witcher-ish.

Like, houses are more like houses and less like some viking-made with hay roof. etc.

I guess that's what he could mean, but the most common medieval architecture were the stone house with hay roof.

Also, a mod like this would require so much work, textures, meshes, etc for a finished product that really isn't that much different than the vanilla game.

Edited by MostlyMuggie

While it would be a lot of work to convert all of Skyrim over to a more Medieval look and feel, there are a number of Skyrim mods than add Medieval-like (and even historical Viking-like) armor, weapons, clothing, and some new lands. Some of the mods are based on the Witcher 2, and some are ported from Oblivion. Just off the top of my head: NorseViking II armor (chainmail), Witcher 2 Shield Pack, Witcher 2 Helmet Pack, Witcher 2 Style Dawnguard Heavy Plate (also has a Gothic plate armor set), Immersive Armors (includes some chainmail), Knights of the Nine (heavy plate armor from Oblivion), JaySuS Swords, City Jehanna and High Rock (adds a bit of High Rock to NE corner of Skyrim, with some more Medieval looking buildings), "Crusaders Knights Templar Hospitaller Teutonic Chivalry Medieval Warfare Agatha and Mason Armors", Lost Longswords, Matys Medieval Knights, The Azincourt (sword), etc. There are probably more here on the Nexus - it just takes some hunting. There are also some LOTR inspired mods that look fairly Medieval, such as Isilmeriel LOTR Weapons Collection, and Elven Dresses (in High Middle Ages style).

If you can't convert all of Skyrim to be Medieval, with the help of some of the mods listed above, you could bring some Medieval to Skyrim by playing a Breton, or a character raised in High Rock among Bretons. Bretons have a more Feudal culture and could be considered more Medieval-like than the Dark Ages Viking style of the Nords.

I have also installed the Rochester mod and am trying to get it to work - it looks like a worthy attempt to recreate England's Rochester Castle and Cathedral town in a new area, but it is a WIP. Happy hunting!