Getting Red Hair right

johnnymathis

I've been trying to make a character with natural looking red hair for the longest time. I just can't get it right. The presets aren't quite what I'm looking for and I can't seem to find the balance between barely noticeable red and bright unrealistic red.

I would like to get a hair color that is close to this kid's hair

http://andreabrogle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/022-c.jpg

Does anybody have the RGB values for hair that looks like that? (I have the number values in the face generator enabled)

• 2 years later...

Saw your post when I was searching for something similar. You probably have it by now. I played with it a bit. This is what I came up. See what you think.

213, 131, 57

Was hard to choose which shade of red in her hair you were looking for. I tried to give it the saturation and luminosity of gold in order to get a bit of "shine" to go with the shade I picked.

Candy

I would say, it also depends on the hair you use. The different glossiness and stuff can make the same colour triad look quite different. And that can differ a fair bit between mod hairs, or between them and stock hairs.

More importantly, there is something about how colours are reflected and, for that matter, refracted, that is unlikely to act the same in mod hairs. I mean look at the dark vs light areas in that child's hair. Light vs bright isn't either just adding white, nor preserving the hue. It's red with a yellow gloss, basically. The only way to get it to actually look like that would be to already have a non-white kind of gloss already coded in the mesh. Which won't happen in a mesh made to work with any colour.

Edit: well, something that kinda looks like a middle colour there and tested with the Ren hair is 197, 82, 25. It looks passable enough in the sun, IMHO, or any yellow light. Another colour which I found passable for a more copper-shade, adult kinda red hair (it tends to darken a bit) is 180, 60, 20. Or you can go more blond with 192, 96, 48.

Edited by Moraelin

I would say, it also depends on the hair you use. The different glossiness and stuff can make the same colour triad look quite different. And that can differ a fair bit between mod hairs, or between them and stock hairs.

More importantly, there is something about how colours are reflected and, for that matter, refracted, that is unlikely to act the same in mod hairs. I mean look at the dark vs light areas in that child's hair. Light vs bright isn't either just adding white, nor preserving the hue. It's red with a yellow gloss, basically. The only way to get it to actually look like that would be to already have a non-white kind of gloss already coded in the mesh. Which won't happen in a mesh made to work with any colour.

Edit: well, something that kinda looks like a middle colour there and tested with the Ren hair is 197, 82, 25. It looks passable enough in the sun, IMHO, or any yellow light. Another colour which I found passable for a more copper-shade, adult kinda red hair (it tends to darken a bit) is 180, 60, 20. Or you can go more blond with 192, 96, 48.

I hope you realize that this thread is 2 years old and the guy who posted it probably won't ever see your post.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you realize that this thread is 2 years old and the guy who posted it probably won't ever see your post.

Ahh but it helped me - - so Thanks guys!!.

• 2 years later...