Bben's Reinstall Procedure

Site Bot

You posted a request for feedback on this guide a couple hours ago, which is funny because i'm currently following your procedure.

I wasn't having problems, but after reading your explanation of UAC (many thanks), i decided to reactivete it and get my game out of program files.

As for feedback;

There is a guide for moving a steam game, but you don't mention if this possible with a dvd version.

I install everything with OBMM. I found the guide a little vague concerning this, so i took the extra steps of deactivating all my omods and made a backup of my obmm/mods file.

I have followed another guide before and this one gave more helpful information in much less space.

Hope this feedback helps.

Thank you for all the times you have unknowingly helped me.

Update: I just finished using ccleaner and noticed something worth note. You have to run the scan more than once. It took 5 scans for me to get a clean one and some of the last things to be found related to Oblivion and OBMM.

Edited by eric31415

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

I was trying to keep the article as simple as possible and left out any mention of OBMM and any other utilities on purpose.

The OBMM files are contained in the Oblivion/OBMM folder and, as far as I know, can be safely moved out for a reinstall. I may add that to the article after testing some more.

I do recommend reinstalling OBMM though, as well as OBSE and Wrye Bash if you use it after the reinstall.

As for ccleaner not removing the Oblivion registry entries on the first pass, I actually uninstalled and reinstalled Oblivion about 4 times and it removed every one of them on the first pass every time. I was using an earlier tutorial found on the Bethesda board that had you manually remove the registry entries for the list of registry entries.

If you don't reboot immediately after uninstalling and before running ccleaner, it may not remove them as they are not flagged as orphans that can safely be removed until after a reboot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Actually, you don't need to move anything out of Program Files or Program Files (x86). You do need to know how to manage permissions, which is very easy and simple. I do this and have no problems at all.

The advantage to moving it out of the program files folders is you don't have to bother with managing the permissions.

Microsoft envisioned the program files as a convenient place to install all programs where they could be easily managed - Then screwed it up by treating every program you install as if it were a super critical system level file that absolutely cannot be contaminated by a change - such as a mod or another program (script extender) trying to make changes to it. Yes, IF you know how it's easy enough to take the extra time to go in and change the permissions - or 'Run as Administrator' when you are already the administrator. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/ohgeez-1.gif Or as so many have done - just disable the UAC altogether.

By putting the non critical GAME files in a Non UAC protected folder you can make any changes you want to without having to mess with permissions that you may not understand - while leaving those system programs that do need this kind of protection safe in the UAC protected program Files folders.

• 6 years later...