Downloading and file serving changes

Dark0ne

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #11073787. #11075590, #11076185, #11080654, #11083332, #11083333 are all replies on the same post.

One thing that would be cool for the Download Locations setting would be to allow it to be rule based rather than picking a specific preferred server. For example, allow users to select from things like "closest to me", "Fewest users", "Premium only", "Lowest latency" etc.

That type of capability might also enable you to move some of the logic server side rather than having the client decide where it's going to try to download from. Having it be server side would also allow you to implement more of the types of changes you're discussing without depending on user's updating their clients (example: client sends a request and says it wants to use the server "closest to me" - on the server side you change the code that decides how to respond to that type of request).

Well, the manually downloading myth is a little bit true, actually. If you're having trouble with the NMM button, sometimes it means you can't connect to the server, so if you then download it manually, sometimes it can't gather the info. Then if you install it, it shows up as "unassigned" and it won't know it's an update. (This could also happen using the NMM button, but it is pretty rare.) At this time you will also note that your "Checks for new mods" button doesn't work right, either. If you watch carefully, you'll see that it sits around for a bit, the progress bar never updates, and then it just closes the window. If you weren't watching, you might think it just didn't find anything.

So really, if Nexus is running smoothly the file info gets updated accordingly. If not, you might experience the myth.

That being said, we may never have that issue ever again due to the hard work of the people around here, so maybe it really will become a myth after all. :)

GREAT WORK, GUYS!!!

Edited by billko

Well, my first go at letting the NNM scan my (Alien) PC to see what games I have resulted in a total nightmare. 4 of my 5 games scanned no problem, but .... with Dragon Age 2, NMM grabbed over 100 of my personal files and dumped them into the Misc files of the DA2 window of NMM.

Bewildered, I simply deleted a couple of the files from the Misc folder, went back to check my PC files, and guess what -- NMM deleted them not only from the NMM folder, but also from my computer. Gone. I am not a happy camper.