"Nexus Mod Manager has stopped working" problem

saxyswimmer95

For awhile now, whenever I try to run Nexus Mod Manager it won't open. A message pops up that says "Nexus Mod Manager has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." but then that just disappears. However, when i move the nexus mod manager folder out of my Windows C drive into some other folder, it will run, but the mods will not download into the manager. I have uninstalled Skyrim, NMM, and Steam multiple times. Please help. Skyrim is not fun without mods.

You could always install them yourself, but if not, try updating Nexus Mod Manager, make sure you have the latest version (Same with Steam and Skyrim.) AND make sure its installed in the correct directory. If that doesn't work, I don't know what else to tell you :/

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem as saxy. I have been using NMM for years. Today it will not work -- won't even start, just crashes with the message listed above. Soooo... I uninstalled and reinstalled NMM. (latest version is 0.47.3) Same problem. Doesn't even attempt to fire, just crashes.to the Windows error message.

What's going on?

I have been using NMM for years. Today it will not work -- won't even start, just crashes with the message listed above. Soooo... I uninstalled and reinstalled NMM. (latest version is 0.47.3) Same problem. Doesn't even attempt to fire, just crashes.to the Windows error message.

What's going on?

Next step -- removed all vestiges of NMM from my C: drive. Try to re-install . The wizard/build crashes before the install is even complete

• 3 weeks later...

Try this way to solve - is to locate the path: C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Black_Tree_Gaming\NexusClient.exe_XXXXXXXXXXX\ and delete EVERYthing you find there. Than simply restart your old NMM installation. It will start like just installed, but with all your mods and load order)

• 1 month later...

Flushing the temporary files without wiping the install sounds like a good idea. But where exactly would we find them, as the above address dead-ends in Windows 7 x64?

Odd little bug.

And then... unistalled from C: program files: 'unistall' folder: remove config files. NMM was installed and running from D: on my system, prior to the hang-up, so this may have been from some earlier shenanigan of mine. The D: install was intact, and it is executing as I type.

So far, so good.

Lesson: clean up the app data.

Edited by boycad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same problem for me, but I did a full uninstall and reinstall, and now NMM launches. Only problem is that now Skyrim crashes just like NMM had been. I'm clearing out some memory to see if that may work like with:

This happened to me when i was low on space on my ssd. freed up some of it and it worked

However, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Skyrim, run a full system boot diagnostic, reinstalled DirectX, all of it. I am getting to that hair-pulling point of frustration. Someone please find a fix!

EDIT: I fixed it! I just had to delete my data folder and uninstall and reinstall all my mods. Once you delete the folder (or move it all to a separate location), go to Steam and run a validation check or whatever it is called. It will take probably close to an hour (or more) to finish re-acquiring the data for base Skyrim, plus any DLCs. Once this is done, open NMM, and select all your installed mods. If you have a lot of mods like me, both installed or simply downloaded, you REALLY want to do this next part. You have to put them all in a new category (I simply called mine New1). You can do this all at once by selecting them all and right clicking. Once this is finished, uninstall all active mods, then launch Skyrim with no mods whatsoever. If it launches properly, there was a problem with the data file, and you just have to spend between 10 minutes or 3 hours reactivating all of your previously installed mods. The time it takes will be greatly affected by the volume of mods you use and their sizes. After that, follow normal installation procedures for your mods, being VERY careful with any overwrites. If you have any patchers, finish installing your mods, close the manager, run the patchers, and reopen the manager. Reinstall SKSE if you use it!!!!! Even though it is in the Skyrim folder, it needs to be reinstalled because of the data folder disappearing. Run BOSS to optimize your load order, and MAKE A NEW GAME. If you use script-intensive mods, you MUST do this. I have a mod called Photobooth or something like that, so I just hit ` (~) at the main menu and type in "coc photobooth." This mod is very useful for this, so if you can find what I'm talking about, it will eliminate the need to make a new save. Once you can load a save, select your old save game (NOTE: AUTOSAVES WILL PROBABLY BE BROKEN. They cannot handle the amount of changes to the game with IDs and whatnot, so they will freeze up when your try to load them. Smaller loads may not cause this, but you can try it.) and load the save. It will take a bit longer than normal to load (I thought it did), but it should be intact except for any mods you didn't reinstall.

This worked for me with my problem described above, but I think this should work for most similar problems. Good luck! (8^D)

Edited by Graemerowe