CTD at startup...

piperman123

I've just recently got my skyrim running perfectly (essentially the same mods as I have now + realvision and TPC at 30-60fps and only very few CTD's) but I just tried merging some eps (I checked to see if they were ok to merge before hand and ran the error checker, all was good) and as I had some more room I added about 5 more mods (little, simple ones like real water two enb color, lightning patch for CoT and CoT weather) and ran skse and all hell let loose.

1st it crashed just before the start menu appeared (back ground mod showed there though) so I ran tesvedit to see if it stopped on a mod but it finished with no issues or errors. So I tried disabling the combined esps and re-enambling the original ones, un-ticking the new mods and reinstalling the mods for the merged esps in case anything had changed unintentionally (tried them separately and together (no merged + no new mods), same thing happened again. I then tried verifying game cache and found 6 missing files which were replaced but still no luck.

So I thought I'd try running the launcher just in case and this made me laugh. It said I had no skyrim installed (despite having all the required files) but installed it in seconds.

So then I though, just to be safe I'll copy skyrims clean data folder (from when I had installed it from scratch) and re-cleaned with tesvedit appropriately, re-ran the launcher started the game and crashed again. So I went through the steps of re-enabling the original uncombined esp's, taking away the new mods and putting it back to how I knew it was when it worked. Still crashed. I also tried using the original .ini files I have backedup and it was the same, still ctd-ing at main menu.

So I went back to my graphics test profile (has all my texture mods and enb but nothing else) and it loaded fine. So I'm completely lost, unless there is something I keep missing or something has a new dependency which I don't know about it doesn't make any sense. Like I say I had this profile working fine before and have tried undoing everything I've done since, including reinstalling mods that might have been affected (tesvedit won't backup esp's for me, not sure if it's cause I run it through MO or something) so it should work.

So sorry for the excessively long post but seing as I have to run wrye bash and sum and faf around with tesvedit and my stuopidly long list of mods just to try each thing out it's taking forever. So you have no idea how grateful I'd be if any of you could help me figure this out. And I am sorry if this is a pain in the rear kinda question but it's just really frustrating how a small change completely messed it up after I spent a weak to get it spot on.

Also if you need anything else like more logs or anything please ask and I'll get it up asap.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes wrye bash says npc overhaul and its follower addon have some out of order masters but they were like that when it was working (I'd have fixed it but I don't know anything about it and thought it best to leave it alone seeing as it was working at the time).

I've just noticed my merged esp's which were for RnD, Immersive Patrols and real waters two have gone missing since I was messing with the data folder, not that that solves the problem as they were there when I was testing but just so you can rule that out as a solution. To be clear when it was working I had those three mods and all necessary esp's loaded and didn't have the 'new' mods (CoT weather patch and the lightning in storms mod) they just aren't checked now because I should have had the merged ones.

Edited by piperman123

Before I go and redo my merged esp's does anyone know how to get tesvedit to make backups when ran through Mod Organiser? I'm running both as admin but it doesn't make the backups of any changed esp's which also means I don't know if it's editing esp's it shouldn't. Which is what I think it has done (Edited the masters for the files I merged despite me unchecking them on exit).