Terrible Lag After Loading New Areas

thefatalyst

Hi, all. As mentioned in the title, I'm having an issue whereby Skyrim lags badly after a few loading screens. Whether it's indoor or outdoor areas, the game begins to lag after several loading screens (seems to be triggered by something), although it's obviously more noticeable in outdoor scenes. Sometimes, although rarely, after a certain amount of time the game returns to its full performance. After that, performance will once again drop after a few loading screens.

Now, I'm using an ENB and I understand it's extremely demanding on hardware, but I am able to to run the game at about 50 fps and above with an ENB at 1280x720, or about 30 fps at 1920x1080. Once the lag starts, however, the performance instantly drops to below 20 fps - regardless of screen resolution - which has led me to think that the graphics isn't the issue at all. ENB is a shader extension, and I understand that shader performance depend mostly on screen resolution and VRAM. I'm pretty sure VRAM has nothing to do with the lag, either (I've tried flushing the VRAM using the ENB command Shift+F4, but to no avail). I've even tried ENBoost, which doesn't help my case at all.

Without an ENB running, the game shows better performance, but there is still a noticeable drop in framerate after a few loading screens. Once again, I don't think ENBs are the cause.

Note: The game ONLY lags after several loading screens, which means, if I am travelling the world map, I can play completely without lag, until I enter a town or dungeon, or choose to fast travel. I also noticed that Alt-Tabbing out of the game and back in refreshes the game and temporarily fixes the lag, until it is triggered after the next few loading screens again.

So my question is: What exactly is causing this terrible lag? What can be done to permanently fix this issue?

Here are my system specs for reference:

Windows 8

Intel Core i5-3570 3.4 GHZ

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

16GB RAM

Thank you for taking your time to read this and help out. :smile:

I used SKSE, it doesn't solve the problem.

I get it as well, the only way I can fix it is by moving to a totally new cell.

I've managed to install SKSE myself after what GePalladium suggested, and you're right. It doesn't help. Well, at least it's good to know I'm not the only one having these issues.

Try turning off autosaves, as your saves grow over time this might be the cause for lag.

Well, I suppose you could be right. It might not be the loading screens themselves at all. I'll try it out and let you guys know how it goes.

But do regular saves affect performance in the same way? I'm pretty dependent on autosaves, so I'm thinking if autosave isn't the way to go I might resort to some other means, like this save hotkey mod here.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. very similar specs to OP, but 660Ti. Not running enb and very few mods, only textures are bethesdas HD. Vram is not the issue, max I get to is 1.5gb. I recently downloaded skyrim performance monitor and have discovered that the lag is caused by GPU spinning up to 100% and getting stuck there, it happens when I exit a dungeon, room scene etc. I suggest you download it too and see if it's the same issue, I suspect it is, but I don't know if there's a fix for it.

I should add, that I'm aware that a GPU running at 100% is not a problem in itself, but it normally runs at 40 - 70%, only on these rare occasions of exiting a room does it hit 100%, it's like a thread gets stuck or something. I think this game is just buggy as hell, and we probably have to live with that, so I'm unlikely to be playing it for long as I have a low tolerance for such things.

Edited by Timmy51m

But do regular saves affect performance in the same way? I'm pretty dependent on autosaves, so I'm thinking if autosave isn't the way to go I might resort to some other means, like this save hotkey mod here.

Hm, i think I got your problem wrong. Saving only affects the game during the time it occurs, after saving is done the game should be back to normal. Means if your are running through the world and hit the quicksave key you will notice some lag in movement. A little on fast systems with SSD, probably a lot more with an crappy laptop drive :)

But if your lag is constant, the problem might be somewhere else.

What is your native refresh rate ? Just asking, because I had some funny problems with my 120Hz setup, had to set my refresh rate to 60Hz for skyrim through the graphics driver :)

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. very similar specs to OP, but 660Ti. Not running enb and very few mods, only textures are bethesdas HD. Vram is not the issue, max I get to is 1.5gb. I recently downloaded skyrim performance monitor and have discovered that the lag is caused by GPU spinning up to 100% and getting stuck there, it happens when I exit a dungeon, room scene etc. I suggest you download it too and see if it's the same issue, I suspect it is, but I don't know if there's a fix for it.

I should add, that I'm aware that a GPU running at 100% is not a problem in itself, but it normally runs at 40 - 70%, only on these rare occasions of exiting a room does it hit 100%, it's like a thread gets stuck or something. I think this game is just buggy as hell, and we probably have to live with that, so I'm unlikely to be playing it for long as I have a low tolerance for such things.

I've tried running the Performance Monitor but I'm not quite sure how to set it up. So far, the default monitor doesn't seem to show any noticeable changes after the game starts lagging. There's a lot of fluctuation in both GPU and CPU usage, both before and after the game starts to lag. I could be reading it wrong. ._. I'll keep you guys updated if I get any useful results. Also, I have a question: Is it possible to get the Performance Monitor to show the FPS count in the graphs?

Hm, i think I got your problem wrong. Saving only affects the game during the time it occurs, after saving is done the game should be back to normal. Means if your are running through the world and hit the quicksave key you will notice some lag in movement. A little on fast systems with SSD, probably a lot more with an crappy laptop drive :smile:

But if your lag is constant, the problem might be somewhere else.

What is your native refresh rate ? Just asking, because I had some funny problems with my 120Hz setup, had to set my refresh rate to 60Hz for skyrim through the graphics driver :smile:

Yep, I understand. :smile: I don't mean a brief lag right when I save, though. It's a consistent lag that usually starts right after I enter a new area, and lasts a really long time, sometimes until I quit. It occasionally starts lagging even before entering a new area, but quite rarely. Usually when this happens, I resort to Alt+Tabbing out to the desktop and back into the game - a rather troublesome means of forcing it to refresh... somehow. It's also worth noting that the lag starts after an unpredictable amount of time. Sometimes it starts after half an hour or so, sometimes within minutes.

I've tried disabling auto-saves as you've suggested but it doesn't seem to affect the lag. :/

My refresh rate is 60Hz. :tongue:

At any rate, I'll continue to monitor the game for any patterns and get back to you guys if I find anything useful. Until then, any useful input would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Edited by thefatalyst