Required files notification and comment download history update

Dark0ne

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Useful! As someone who randomly goes about selecting new mods to trash my load order with, this should help make sure that I've got all the hidden pieces, and if I don't, a nice little "click me" link to send me spinning off to go get the rest before I break something.

As someone who has run into crashing mods, the first thing I realize is that if it's crashing before the menu screen, I screwed up and need to head back into the Nexus and find what I forgot. If things are purple, I missed a texture file. And if I'm CTD'ing all over the place, then it's time to either put the mod aside or fix my load order.

Commenting on the author's page for help (never to berate an author for a buggy mod) is only to be done when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

On the flip side of that, to the mod authors who have a 30 page (in Word) description as well as 5+ sticky posts in your comments section: Don't just tell people "Read the description" and leave. Yes, it's probably in there. Yes, it was (obviously) overlooked.

Something I've learned over my many years of life is this: The longer the message, the less likely anyone will read it. The further down your message is, the less likely anyone will read it.

Which is - and I know I've strayed off topic, but I'm getting back on it - why I've always wondered why Required Files and Incompatibilities are posted almost-last, reserving the last slot for the changelog. Why not put those higher up, not before your description of what the mod is, but maybe before the "how it works" part.

Either way, at least this helps both sides of the fence.

In response to post #11568480. #11568531 is also a reply to the same post.

I like this feature but I cannot make it work :(

I've edited the required files section of my existing mods, deleting the required files and linking them again, and nothing happens. I am sure it is something very obvious that I am missing but I don't see that check box anywhere :(

In response to post #11568480. #11568531, #11572814 are all replies on the same post.

The checkbox is in the "Files" section of your file. If you want to change it for files already uploaded, edit the file. Else, if you're uploading a new file, the checkbox is at the bottom of the option.

That is a great addition to the site and will save a lot of trouble for the end users.

But at the same time there is this :

Being reminded of the need for SKSE and SkyUI or Unofficial patch each time you download a new mod will be a tad annoying for experienced mod users who download a lot of mods and test them.

So what would actually be really cool is an interoperability of this feature with the User settings page of each user that would lets users check the mods he already have installed from a selection of the most popular requirements, so that he is not reminded each time of things that most people are supposed to have like skyUI and SKSE.

Thank you in advance for whatever answer you will give about this little insight.

Edited by thyrith

Thank the divines! Now if only we could get everyone to use the forum search function. Edited by akkalat85

I actually got to experience it a bit before I went to bed the night before, it caught me off-guard and I double-checked to make sure I had the required files beforehand(which I did). It's definitely a nice feature to see and gives the non-readers less of an excuse to complain when they didn't follow directions. Very cool new feature indeed!

When I first came across it today, I was surprised. This is a good idea, but I think you should probably add check boxes in the dialog to either disable the feature for the mod (at least until the requirements change) or disable the feature globally. You can then turn it back on - globally - in your prefs.

I understand it will be a lot more complicated than it sounds.

Edited by billko