Witcher Assets

1shoedpunk

Is it possible to add a tag to mods that use assets from the Witcher or other games? It isn't, strictly speaking, legal to use the assets and it's near impossible to recognize them by sight unless you're familiar with the series.

Is there any concern that when Witcher 3 comes out that CDPR might finally crack down on the asset use? I know some of their devs are on record as not minding their use, but very few of the mods have actual written permission to use them from authorized representatives.

Permission was given by the Witcher makers to use these assets as long as they were properly credited. One of only three companies I know that have done so. I will find the link for you.

If there was a letter provided by an authorized representative that would be awesome. The only information I was able to locate here was that one or two modders were able to get written permission for narrow asset use. Everything on the CDPR forums indicate that it's not officially authorized but that they won't go after users who don't damage their brand. That's a bit too tenuous for comfort, but if there is something more specific and detailed that would be great.

Basically - you can use it, just don't charge for it.

If we weren't clear on their stance on this, we wouldn't allow mods with the content on site.

Since this was discussed in a staff-only area topic - I'll post out the relevant replies from one of the emails sent between us and the Developers:

Date: Monday, October 18, 2010 3:57 AM
Subject: Witcher in-game clothing

As long as you do not use the assets for commercial use and mark, who is the respective owner of the materials and The Witcher trademark, it’s OK from our side. Have fun!

from a second Developer:

Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:41 AM
Subject: RE: Witcher in-game clothing

Your reply:

Thank you for your concern. As long as you mark the respective owner of all the assets (ie: textures) in the suitable form it is all right

So name the source of the materials used - and don't charge for it.

Follow that, and your good to do.

We would confirm for any new games I would imagine as many things change from game to game. As far as I know it only applies to the two Witcher Games.

• 2 years later...