PSP Games

Rennn

I know the original PSP is an extremely dated system now (I think it's 9 years old now?), but I still play it and I'm looking for games. When people list good games for the PSP online, the same five everyone knows about get repeated over and over again. Chains of Olympus, Monster Hunter, Resistance Retribution, etc. And if people list "hidden gems" it's just Valkyria Chronicles and Patapon over and over again.

I *know* there are more good games for the PSP, since I've played and seen a lot of them.

PSP games I like include:

Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade (not the sequel, which was much worse)

Rengoku 2

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Bounty Hounds

Coded Arms

LittleBigPlanet

Phantasy Star Portable

I'm looking for games with replayability, if they exist. For example, Monster Hunter is huge, Rengoku 2 is made for multiple playthroughs, Untold Legends is quite big and also meant for multiple playthroughs, Bounty Hounds has randomly generated levels, Coded Arms has randomly generated levels, LittleBigPlanet has player created levels, etc.

So far my search has resulted in me finding Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins as well as Medievil Resurrection, but little else.

Are there any games I haven't seen yet for the PSP that are replayable or quite big, and offer direct control of the player character?

I'm mostly looking for shooters, platformers, arpgs, etc. Just not turn based games or puzzle games.

You should upgrade tot he psvita, your missing out on al lot of games, like borderlands 2 is officially coming to the vita. Also the system has some psp games that you may have in your library.

Edited by Thor.

You should upgrade tot he psvita, your missing out on al lot of games, like borderlands 2 is officially coming to the vita. Also the system has some psp games that you may have in your library.

Already checked, the Vita isn't getting any games I want. Except for Resistance Burning Skies, and it's not worth it for one game.

If I want to play Borderlands 2 I can do that on my PC.

Ratchet and clank games on PSP. The only games I Played on my PSP before I sold it. There's also star wars force unleashed... You might also wanna look at any downloaded only games. I remember a few diablo-esk games on there you could download

Valkyria Chronicles 2 (Real Time/Turn Based Strategy RPG) PS3 version was many times better game of the year material personally, but this version is pocket sized. Yes it IS a Turn Based game BUT with Real Time gameplay at the same time, it isn't like a normal Turn Based game, you have direct control of characters in combat.

They're great games in general For what reason they decided to put Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the PSP is beyond me, but it must be because PS3 owners almost flat out ignored the first, despite being an "Original" game with top notch reviews. When the first came out, there was and kind of still is nothing else on the market like it.

One reviewer reviewed the first and literally stated ".. this game defies reviewing. Because, how can you review a game that is perfect?" That came from a person who ran into the game 4 years after it was released. Which is an impressive claim for a game that slipped under the radar on the market under all these huge franchise releases.

PangYa (Awesome Golf Game) Only Available on UMD. Perhaps one of the best games on the PSP personally, my 2nd favorite so far. Beautiful and relaxing, I can play this for hours. It's a PSP port of the PC MMO PangYa. Which is almost without a doubt the best Golf Game Ever Made.

Harvest Moon Boy & Girl (Farming..) Actually plays like a Top View Adventure game like the older Zelda games, but it's a Farming Adventure Game in which you raise animals, grow crops, attend festivals, win awards, get married..... Great Franchise in general, there is a game for it on just about every platform since the SNES. Boy & Girl is a port of the PS1 Back to Nature game one if not the best of the franchise which comes with the Girl version of Back to Nature which was never released outside Japan until Boy & Girl.

I know these may not be what you're looking for. But they're my top 3 favorite games on the PSP. My 4th is a Import so I doubt you'd be interested in a game that is only available in Japanese, despite it's a very fun fast pace 3D fighting game. LOL

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Tactics Ogre for PSP is a really good game. Definitely my favorite PSP game. The version on PSP is the best version of the game, and there is some extra stuff that aren't on the other systems. Extra dynamic to character development as well. Also post game is handled quite well in Tactics Ogre PSP, you got anchor points you can go back to in case you missed a certain character or quest. Some of the drops in certain story battles are also different if you're higher level, so going back to beat them again post game might reward you with a top tier spell, or piece of gear. Also, in the PSP version, some of the monster classes are quite useful with the new character development system. For example, hawkmen archers are awesome, and lizard men make pretty good melee fighters. Ghost mages are really good too. Each monster type has certain classes available, and some of them have unique classes not available to anything else that can be quite good. You can use dragons at the front lines, and with a rampart aura, they can prevent enemy melee from simply walking past them to get to your less durable characters. Dragons have crazy defenses across the board, and you can use them as sponge for attacks with proper positioning.

If you don't know what Tactics Ogre is, its similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. I think its better, especially the PSP version.

If you like Monster Hunter games, then Portable 3rd is one of the better ones. I still play it occasionally, but I'll do maybe 1 hunt before I put it back down, because the game is too taxing, the fights are too long, IMO. Some of these monsters if you kill them in 15 minutes, that is considered pretty decent. But most fights honestly drag out to the 25-30 minute range for me. If these were 5-10 minute fights, I'd enjoy the game more.

Edited by Beriallord