Fallout 3 lags like poo ....

Matrimelee

I know what your problem is. I literally quit playing fallout 3 until I found out how to fix it. I have the same gpu (GTS 250) and it seems that it just can't handle the water effects in fallout 3. Try going into water settings and uncheck depth of fog and turn down the water multisampling down to low. I'll be damned if this don't fix your problem. I used to lag like hell in every single turn and now I'm lag free. Also, check out the fallout 3 studder remover mod in fallout3nexus, it makes it feel alot smoother. Believe it or not, but those water settings I mentioned also effects areas indoors, including places like megaton and rivet city. It pretty much stops the lag everywhere. I think it's because fallout 3 loads the whole wasteland map no matter where you are in the game. Hope I've helped even though this thread is kinda old.

I would also like to note that I am using quite a bit of texture mods.

Worked perfectly, thank you.

TO SUM UP: "Try going into water settings and uncheck depth of fog and turn down the water multisampling down to low."

Additionally, the K-Lite codec utility also helps. It disables fddshow for Fallout3 (and Oblivion), which has caused problems (mainly screen freezes) for many. (*make mental note to look at water settings*)

Please first try this possible solution as described and only then go tweak the file fallout.ini !!!

The problem you are describing is a known problem with all + 19x ... nvidia drivers :dry: >:(

The above listed changes will, in my opinion, not lead to a smooth gameplay. they will only mask the problem but offer no real solution because they are rather for the micro stutter problem.

The problem you describe is certainly not micro stutter.

Since you already have a driver installed from this 19x... series, I suggest you do the following:

Download the correct driver for your OS

(GeForce 186.18 WHQL ==> one of the best and last good working diver for fallout 3) :wink:

1. Uninstall your current driver through the control panel.

2. Restart and boot into safe mode (F8).

3. Run Driver Sweeper and maybe even CCleaner. (both trustworthy tools, free, no spyware, ...)

(http://www.guru3d.com/news/guru3d-dr...205--released/ and http://www.ccleaner.com/)

4. Restart and boot to the regular desktop.

5. Install the new driver.

6. Restart.

(If you have installed system tools, you should uninstall it first and only after the driver is installed you can install it back, even better ... leave it this way, there are better and more stable programs you can use)

Please let know if it helped

• 11 months later...