Tutorial: Generating Tree LOD FNV/F3

MartinPurvis

Hello everyone,

I created a tutorial on the above on the Wiki, if you haven't seen it then it might be useful to you if you create worldspaces. Enjoy!

Here's the link if you prefer to see it with the images on the same page.

For this tutorial I will be using a custom worldspace called TestWorldspace and an esp called TestWorldspaceMod to make it clearer to follow. Might make a video tutorial for visual learners. The Tree we will be generating LOD for is the static object TreeDead03, it has the following properties.

Has Tree LOD is ticked which means that we will be able to generate LOD for the tree.

• Not all _lod.nif files are included in Fallout: New Vegas (The _lod.nif files for Dead Trees are in Fallout 3s Meshes BSA)

Things You'll Need For This Tutorial

• GECK - Here (free)
  • FOMM - Here (free)
  • GIMP - Here (free)
  • GIMP DDS Plugin - Here (free)
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Fallout 3

Steps

1. Launch FOMM and go to Tools > BSA Browser.

Go to your F3 data directory and open Fallout Meshes.bsa and from meshes\landscape\trees\, extract treedead03.nif and treedead03_lod_flat.nif to the \common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Meshes\Landscape\Trees directory.

Go to your F3 data directory and open Fallout Textures.bsa and from textures\landscape\trees\, extract treedeadlod.dds to the \common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Textures\Landscape\Trees directory.

2. Open GIMP and import the treedeadlod.dds file. Load without MipMaps and go File > Export As and save it with default settings as treedeadlod.tga in the \common\Source\Textures TGA\Landscape\Trees directory.

3. Load your file up in the GECK and go into a cell in the TestWorldspace worldspace. Drop the Static object TreeDead03 into the cell (for me, cell 0,0) and save.

• I have a COC Marker in my cell to transport to called TestWorldspaceCOC.

4. Now go to World > World LOD. Select TestWorldspace and press Generate Trees.

A box should then appear that says...

Awesome! It worked! LOD tree generation completed successfully.

Press Ok and save again, close the GECK.

5. Go to common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Meshes\Landscape\LOD\TestWorldspace\Trees and we have our file created!!

6. Make sure Archive Invalidation is ticked and launch your mod. Finally, in game screenshots.

Up close and in the distance.

Notes

• I created this guide as easy to follow and as short as possible while being clear.
  • This was NOT easy to find out, the process doesn't work with a lot of other trees in game.
  • I will probably be doing some more tutorials regarding LOD, keep an eye out!
  • Save often as the GECK is prone to crashing.
  • This works for Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, may work for Oblivion and Skyrim. Needs clarification.

The lod for the Jousha Trees is still a little funky but thats more or less Bethseda and Obsidians fault. Still, awesome tutorial! :smile:

Hey just tried creating LOD for TreeJoshANV and got it working fine.

For Step 1:

• Instead of going into your F3 directory go into your FNV data directory and open up Fallout - Meshes.bsa and from 'meshes\landscape\trees\' extract treejoshanv.nif and treejoshanv_lod.nif to ‘\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Meshes\Landscape\Trees’.
  • Instead of going into your F3 directory go into your FNV data directory and open up Fallout - Textures2.bsa and from 'textures\landscape\trees\' extract treejoshbark.dds, treejoshbark_n.dds, treejoshleaf.dds and treejoshleaf_n.dds to ‘\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Textures\Landscape\Trees’.

For Step 2:

• Do exactly the same process that I do with treedeadlod.dds to make it a tga with the 4 textures you extracted and save them in ‘\common\Source\Textures TGA\Landscape\Trees’. You will probably get an error about not having a correct lod mesh but it creates it successfully so we'll ignore this.

Then just follow the same process in the tutorial. :cool:

The issue with the Joshua trees happens when the TGA LOD texture is saved without an alpha channel, Without the Alpha Channel the GECK doesn't create the proper transparency.

How do you save with an alpha channel?