Games youd play for Story alone

Miriped

At the moment for psvita i am currently playing Broken Sword, the Writing is amazing, great voice acting to :laugh: . One game i would play again just for story alone.

Edited by Thor.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I think most good games use their respective mechanics to improve on the story, there are a few games I think have such a great story on their own . Ori and the Blind Forest, Transistor, Bastion (gotta love Supergiant Games), and Mother 3 come to mind. I've also heard great things about the story of Two Brothers, but sadly, that game kept crashing on my pc for some reason, so I was never able to complete it.

Miriped's comments about Dark Souls made me remember Myst. Little backstory is provided until toward the end, and there's not much handholding. The combo allows the imagination a much wider berth of possibilities. Acting was great imo and the story had me guessing about proper course of action until the very end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I HATED the buggy gameplay for Rule of Rose but played the crap out of it for the story. Being a follower on a theory blog for it definitely didn't help my addiction. It was like going down a dark, twisted rabbit hole and I was completely sucked in.

I played Catherine not because I like puzzle games, but because I wanted to see the story. Not as addictive and attached as I was to Rule of Rose, but still a game I only played for story.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If story is the main focus here then it would definitely have to be Fallout/The Elder Scrolls. They're both #1 on my list and tick all the right boxes.

But, there's only one game out there that got it 110% on the story. And when I say 110% I'm only saying that because it made me cry like a baby. And I rarely cry...

What I'm talking about is The Walking Dead series. Such emotion! And that was just season one. :happy:

Oh, and I can't leave the almighty universe of Mass Effect out. It has to be among my top ten games. It had a lot of emotion, the story was beyond epic and it really opened

my eyes as to what humanity could achieve if it stopped fighting itself. But, hey ho. I could elaborate on these but it's early in the morning and I have things to do.

Edited by xENJAJVEx

• 2 weeks later...

MGS4 and MGS in general

MGS4, and the series itself has an extremely deep story. it stretches across the entire series, and a lot of it is referenced in MGS4. with hour long cut scenes and stuff, ive played it over and over just because the game is so solid, and the story is fascinating.

I haven't played any MGS game other than MGS V: Phantom Pain, and the cutscenes were really good, but there wasn't enough of them. I was expecting a really cinematic game, but there was probably only about 2/3 hours of cutscene in the entire game, start to finish.

The game is still great, though. The story and plot elements are fantastic - just much less than I was expecting. And the second half of the game was noticeably rushed (probably due to Konami cutting the funding) so yeah...

I want a DLC that expands upon the ending. I won't spoil it for anyone, but the ending definitely needs some attention from the creators.

Anyway, a game that I would play for story alone? The Witcher 3. And the Witcher 2, but mostly the Witcher 3.

Edited by billyro