Dark Souls 2 released

Rennn

i dont understand how they could keep messing up PvP in these Dark Souls games. it was amazing in Demons Souls (not flawless) there was a lot less lag (not no lag) and it was relatively balanced. some clear cut stronger weapons, but you could fight with near anything.

No offense, but you've got to be kidding. Anyone with a Blueblood blade and high luck could run around one-hitting half the other PvPers. Demon's Souls was just as imbalanced in PvP.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yes, there was some OP weapons in PvP. some were even banned in the tournaments. but people found work arounds. you could get out of the BBB stunlock (which is what made it powerful). Second Chance stopped one hits. and by the end of the game people stopped using BBB because it really wasnt that good. knights sword had the same move set with lower stat requirements. things were only OP until people found a way to counter them. (which could be said for Dark Souls too i guess)

but i didnt say completely balanced. i said relatively. Magic was strong, but easily avoidable. even with Pivot Casting (Running Fire Storm was a b&@*$ though). Backstabbing was easy to avoid, esp with little lag. sure there was some phantom range, and some people lagged more then others but it was no where near Dark Souls levels.

you can try to argue it was unbalanced, but it really wasnt. again, at least not at Dark Souls levels.

lol yes, there was some OP weapons in PvP. some were even banned in the tournaments. but people found work arounds. you could get out of the BBB stunlock (which is what made it powerful). Second Chance stopped one hits. and by the end of the game people stopped using BBB because it really wasnt that good. knights sword had the same move set with lower stat requirements. things were only OP until people found a way to counter them. (which could be said for Dark Souls too i guess)

but i didnt say completely balanced. i said relatively. Magic was strong, but easily avoidable. even with Pivot Casting (Running Fire Storm was a *censored* though). Backstabbing was easy to avoid, esp with little lag. sure there was some phantom range, and some people lagged more then others but it was no where near Dark Souls levels.

you can try to argue it was unbalanced, but it really wasnt. again, at least not at Dark Souls levels.

It was pretty close. Your argument that players found way to counter the imbalances or ban certain weapons from 'tournaments' would be just as valid in Dark Souls.

I'm sure you remember that nearly half the PVPers in unregulated Demon's Souls used the Dragonbone Smasher, and the other half used the Blueblood Sword.

And let's not forget, PVE is more balanced in Dark Souls 2 than it was in Demon's Souls. It's much less common for me to summon someone in Dark Souls 2 only for them to run in and 3-shot the boss.

So far my main complaint with Dark Souls 2 is that the default gamma starts about one notch too high for most TVs, and nobody bothers to calibrate it before they post videos or complain about the graphics.

Also, that thin white outline around volumetric effects annoys me. But based on the new PC screens, that's a console specific issue.

For anyone who hasn't seen yet, the PC version looks very similar to the console version.

It's got higher resolution textures, better antialiasing, more anisotropic filtering, further LoD on small clutter, higher resolution shadows, more SSAO samples, and parallax mapping. And, of course, the white outlines are fixed.

But overall, the lighting and meshes are pretty much the same as the console version from what I've seen so far.

Edited by Rennn

unregulated PvP maybe. if you had gotten into the scene of PvP (which you couldnt have unless you played it before Dark Souls) then youd know no one played with a DBS or a BBS. they are too easy to beat, they litterally were noob weapons. the most common weapon was a Kalij if i had to guess/remember. i preferred a Blessed Great Axe and Great Sword myself. Northern Regalia was also popular.

and yes, i said that that statement could apply to Dark Souls as well.

PvP will forever be different without Second Chance lol.

my original argument however was that the PvP has gotten worse since Demons Souls. mainly due to lag. balance issues, people will find a way around. lag is just too annoying to fight around. too many variables.

unregulated PvP maybe. if you had gotten into the scene of PvP (which you couldnt have unless you played it before Dark Souls) then youd know no one played with a DBS or a BBS. they are too easy to beat, they litterally were noob weapons. the most common weapon was a Kalij if i had to guess/remember. i preferred a Blessed Great Axe and Great Sword myself. Northern Regalia was also popular.

and yes, i said that that statement could apply to Dark Souls as well.

PvP will forever be different without Second Chance lol.

my original argument however was that the PvP has gotten worse since Demons Souls. mainly due to lag. balance issues, people will find a way around. lag is just too annoying to fight around. too many variables.

Of course I played Demon's Souls before I played Dark Souls. What gave you the impression I didn't?

I never took PVP very seriously, though. PVP has always seemed like a side note in the Souls games, though that may be because I was more used to single player and PVE ARPGs at the time, like Monster Hunter or Drakan.

I've played all of FromSoft's games with the exception of their PS1 King's Field releases, though only their later ones (AC2 through Verdict Day, Eternal Ring to Demon's Souls through DkS 2) were played in order.

I'm also not into hardcore PVP in Dark Souls 2, though so far I haven't been killed much in PVP. I think I've died a few times to invaders. There was that time I got summoned as a gray phantom at the bottom of the pit thingy. I died then. There was also a time someone lag stabbed me while standing like 20 feet away from me, which is by far the worst I've ever seen lag get. And there was one time I was on that bridge before the Chariot boss fight and I fell through a gap while trying to strafe a guy.

That said, if Demon's Souls released on the PC I would play the s#*! out of it again. o_o I prefer the more open style of Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 (reminds me more of King's Field, for one thing), but in 2009, Demon's Souls was probably the best ARPG I'd ever played, and it's still better than 95% of games.

Edited by Rennn

i didnt really get into PvP hugely until the end of Demons Souls. after i beat the game 50+ times, and being a prominent member of the Demons Souls Wikidot forums (one of the larger communities at the time, if not the largest) friends asked me to try out the PvP. i picked it up quickly. but i only ever did it for fun in 4-1. never entered any tournaments or anything.

i never got into the PvP in either Dark Souls game (not that im done with the second one) and thats mostly because i never really cared for it in the first one, even though i was good at it. Souls is a PvE game to me first. they could take out the invasions completely and i wouldnt even notice. its a unique element to the online aspect of the game, but i could care less. i do coop often though. esp with friends...well in Demons Souls i did. Dark Souls made it too hard. and of the 15-20 friends i made from Demons Souls and the couple i made from Dark only about 3 are playing Dark Souls 2 atm. so i havent cooped with any friends in Dark Souls 2.

i havent been invaded a single time yet in Dark Souls 2 except in the Bell Tower, 3-4 times i think. all were alright except the one i mentioned where i was never alerted until i was being backstabbed by a phantom that didnt show up until he backstabbed me.

and it may just be my nostalgia fro Demons Souls, but i dont really care for the open worldness of Dark Souls. im not sure, like i said, if its just because im biased to Demons Souls or if its just because i've gotten so bored with these games, that i just want liniarity to finish it. not open world exploring....i have to say, that this will probably be my last Souls game, unless they did something with Demons Souls again. but due to copyrights and Sony i dont see that happening. the only reason i even picked up this second one was because of my desire to platinum it like i did the first two games, i was skeptical for the longest time about even picking Dark Souls 2 up. but im so bored of the same game that i dont see myself picking it up again. (if a third one is release. which i bet there will be. its too big of a hit to stop more games being produced)

im having fun. like i do forsee myself messing around with at least one more play through with a new toon after my current one. (just got the the Chariot. still not very far) but at the same time, im slowly getting bored with it too. hence ive barely played it since its been out.

Edited by hoofhearted4

i dont understand how they could keep messing up PvP in these Dark Souls games. it was amazing in Demons Souls (not flawless) there was a lot less lag (not no lag) and it was relatively balanced. some clear cut stronger weapons, but you could fight with near anything.

No offense, but you've got to be kidding. Anyone with a Blueblood blade and high luck could run around one-hitting half the other PvPers. Demon's Souls was just as imbalanced in PvP.

Demon's Souls always had WAY less lag. The only problem in Demon's Souls was everything did too much damage in PVP, and there were too many ways of stacking damage buffs. Damage boost for pure black character tendency, then another damage boost from foe's ring. And then ring of magical sharpness, Monk's head, and Kris Blade for spell damage. Combine that with a low HP in hollow form and oneshots are pretty common. Any PVP viable build used second chance which prevented you from being oneshotted. Warding worked for physical damage, but didn't do anything vs fire or magic damage.

Blueblood sword wasn't a weapon that typically oneshotted people that had a decent amount in VIT. Dragon Bone Smasher with curse weapon on it could oneshot, as could a Meat Clever. Or my favorite weapon the Fatal Estoc +5, which did about 1200 damage in a backstab even with the base stats to use the weapon. Its an exceptional weapon for level 60-80 griefer. I trusted the hit boxes a whole lot better in Demon's Souls than in Dark Souls 2. When I saw someone swing at me in Demon's Souls and I'd trust what I see on my screen when it looks like they're going to whiff, and I took advantage of that opportunity to land a backstab. In Dark Souls 2 you can't even trust what you see on the screen even if it looks like the guy is gonna whiff by a large margin.

Edited by Beriallord

I tested a bunch of melee weapons in Dark Souls 2. Pretty much every weapon. And I found myself going back to the Defender Greatsword. If you got a faith build, and you lightning infuse it, its damage gets close to ultra greatsword range, but its got the same move set as a claymore. And the weapon also has a self buff when you 2h the weapon and press L2. It uses up some durability. Another thing that makes it a devastating weapon is that it does mostly lightning damage, and gets a huge boost from faith scaling. Its about 65/35 Lightning/Physical, which increases even more when buffed. To compare it with the lightning claymore and 50 faith, the lightning infused defender greatsword does about another 100 more damage than the claymore on average with the 1h R1. And the lightning claymore buffed with sunlight blade is only slightly stronger, by 15 damage over the un buffed lightning defender greatsword. Hitting people in PVP for 600-650 with a 1h R1 attack is pretty common, and killing them with a 3 hit combo. Having a weapon that does mostly lightning damage is good in PVP too, considering how high people can buff armor vs physical damage types. Its easy enough to get 1200+ slashing defense which can mitigate a 350-400 AR weapon down pretty good, but lightning will cut through them like hot butter.

The moonlight greatsword is also a good weapon, but the R1 combo for the defender greatsword is faster. I there are 2 different movesets for "greatsword" types, one of them is claymore, and the other is pursuers greatsword/moonlight greatsword type. Not counting the MLGS special attacks, I'm talking about the general speed of the swings with the R1. The claymore type moveset is superior. The MLGS special attack isn't that great in PVP, and the Defender Greatsword has a really, really good R2 poke, which can follow up and do a 2 hit combo with R2, R2. It has really crazy tracking on it, and if someone is trying to crrcle around, if the spacing is right it WILL track and hit them.

Edited by Beriallord

yea almost every Dark Souls 2 thread ive been on talks about the Defender GS for a faith build lol. ive yet to get it. im still on a Heide Sword +7.

as far as Demons Souls goes, yes waaay less lag, which is really the part i was referring to in my original statement as to how From keeps messing up the PvP with lag when Demons Souls had barely any (obviously there was some, and some players had it bad)....i do remember the claymore being notorious for phantom range though.

my favorite weapon was the Great Axe and Great Sword...rolling R1 on the GA was an unstoppable ground slam where you had invulnerability while you did it, and the hit box was crazy...and the running R1 on the GS was a wide arc sweep, meaning less aim.

Anndd...my 6+ year old 80gb Fat PS3 (MGS4 bundle edition) finally pooped the bed the day before yesterday. YLOD it would seem. quite unexpectedly too. me and my gf were playing Diablo 3 on it. no problem. we took a break so i could go take a shower. about 10 minutes later she comes in "your PS3 just shut off by itself" i said "are there any lights on?" she said "the red one is on but blinking"...so i tried to turn it on when i got out of the shower and it turns on for a few seconds, beeps, blinks yellow, then shuts off blinking red. a quick google search, and i find nothing promising lol.

i plan on taking it a part and blowing all the dust out (i blow it out regularly, but only through the vents. not taking it apart) ive read this could possibly do something, but i dont think overheating is my problem, im assuming somthing came unsoldered. but i have to take it apart anyways to get my Diablo 3 out of the drive haha. assuming it doesnt work after this, ill see if i can sell it on ebay for parts for some "free" cash.

point being, no PS3 for me for a few days. i do plan on going out and grabbing a new one next week. im really sad that the PS4 isnt backwards compatable, as i now have to drop ~$200 on a new PS3 only to drop ~$400 on a PS4 later this year. i was so close to having my PS3 hold out until PS4 haha. but it served me a long (and rough) 6 years with some very very very long hours haha.

RIP PS3 :(