NPCs for Providing Services (Enchanting)

GallJ93

Hi everybody,

I've been playing Skyrim for quite a while now, and with the help of the modding community it almost never feels like it's getting particularly old. There are a number of mods out there, such as the dual wielding block mods and hunterborn, which have allowed me to RP new characters and roles that wouldn't be possible or nearly as fun in the base game. But one thing bothers me the majority of the time: Enchanting.

The fact is that most of my characters are not heavy magic users, and enchanting seems to me in-universe to be a deeply involved magical art, requiring a lot of knowledge, far above your average descruction magic, and yet all of my characters have to level it at one point or another if I want to use a good magical weapon. So there are two things that bother me about enchanting: That I always have to do it myself, and all the great enchanters in Skryim and its expansions (Neloth jumping to mind) are unwilling to help me with it; and that one of my enchantments always has to be a soul trap to allow me to replenish charge.

While I do wish that I didn't have to recharge weapons, I do accept that this is how it goes in TES lore (with the exception of Daedric artifacts, which I have mods for because they make no sense to me when they need to be recharged). However, what I don't understand is why professional enchanters who dedicate their life to the art etc etc and will have a significant stock of soul gems will not recharge my weapons for money. I feel that this should be a basic service for more or less any court mage to be honest, and would love to see it as such.

The second part of the mod I would like to suggest is that we have NPCs who can actually enchant items for you. For this, I would limit the services perhaps to enchanting trainers and court mages, perhaps with trainers only being able to enchant up to their level and court mages only being able to enchant to adept level or something, with only one person in the world being able to enchant to skill level 100. My feelings are that the conditions on this should be as follows:

1. You should have the opportunity to ask for any enchantment in the game which can be learned by disenchanting, as I presume for those well -studied there are probably books on the subject which will teach them, rather than the way the player learns.

2. You should be able to specify the intensity of the enchantment, balanced against the number of charges, as you can in the game if you do it yourself.

3. All enchanting trainers should have all of the enchantment perks up to their skill level unlocked (this would require compatability patches with mods that affect perk trees, such as SkyRe and Requiem), but court mages should not, so as to give professional enchanters an advantage.

4. They should have all levels of soul gem available to them apart from grand and black, as those are far harder to obtain than other souls, and so they would need to be brought by the player (I don't know if this would be possible).

5. Obviously all of this would incur a cost, which I feel would move up on a very steep linear graph with enchantment level and enchanter skill, to reflect the fact that easy enchantments are... easy, and enchanters who are less skilled are perhaps more eager to hone their skills, while masters feel they are doing you a favour on such a menial task.

This would really help with immersion on playthroughs without magic, and open up RP opportunities, as well as freeing perks for more relevant skills on my playthroughs, as with SkyRe I need them.

The same could be said for smithing as a skill, where master smiths could craft items for you if you brought them particularly rare materials such as daedra hearts, but this would require items such as schematics for each level of gear I imagine to help with immersion, otherwise everybody in Skyrim who was wealthy enough would be running around in at least ebony or glass armour because smiths could make it on request, but I feel like enchanting NPCs are what is really lacking, and they will doubtless be a large enough project on their own if this is taken up by anybody.

I'm aware similar ideas have been suggested before, but they don't seem to have come to anything, and so I've tried to be more balanced and thorough in my explanation, although I'd appreciate feedback on whether my post is actually any good for modders or not.

Thanks for reading.

That actually does look quite good, although it's not compatible with SkyRe, which is what I use (at least not for the enchanting perks).

It doesn't add vendors for it, which I still feel would be a very immersive and realistic touch, and they can't recharge the weapons for me, so they don't charge the fee. Basically it does the crafting stuff though, which is really nice and the main bulk of what I was looking for.

I would happily use it if it were to work with SkyRe, so I'll leave a comment about that, but if somebody does want to make a mod as described here I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

• 4 months later...