Pipboy radio music is not working.

DefaultKashou

I just got fallout 3 a few days ago and i just installed it, for some strange reason when i turn on the radio it goes with the talking stuff and when a song is supposed to play, no music plays and i get a severe preformance drop because of it (possibly can't load a codec). Is there any way i can fix this? because it is very annoying when I am in a fight.

System Specs:

CPU: Amd x64 3000+

GPU: ATi Radeon 3650 512mb (AGP)

Sound: On board (Realtek Ac'97 (AC850))

RAM: 2GB

Are the in-game radios and jukeboxes lacking music or is it just your pipboy that doesn't play?

It could well be a codec issue. If nobody comes up with a definite solution you could have a look through the thread about radio stutter; there's lots of stuff there about GNR and codecs, and how they can cause problems, and some suggested fixes..

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=99804&st=0

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Try deleting fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini (save copies of them to be safe) and then restarting the game. Should resolve the problem.

You're a total ass. You broke my game.

If you had saved the documents stated, it would be a simple matter to have put them right back in and been the exact place that you started. So no...he isn't the "ass". I suggest you read the Terms of Service of posting on this site before you post again. We do not tolerate attacks on other members.~Lisnpuppy

I'm sorry, i did'nt mean to "attack" him. And i did saved the documents, i even placed them back and it's still not working. My game is just broken now and it was late when i posted so i was pretty tired. Again, i did'nt mean to attack him.

• 3 weeks later...

99% of the time this is a codec problem and tortured Tomato's post #27 is the recommended solution. (this little tool InstalledCodec is thery practical to deactivate codecs. You`ll have to find out wich codec is the evil one.)

There is a thread over at Bethesda called, "Codec Investigation Project" http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/897990-codec-investigation-project/ that also recommends the same procedure. I can confirm that the steps recommended have worked for me too.

As we already know this tool InstalledCodec can deactivate any codec but you have to do this blindly HOWEVER...

You can determine exactly which codec may be causing the problem by using http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ (freeware). Install it, load a MP3 file, render it with the MS A/V buttons at the bottom of the window. Button 1 will display what codec is being used - the middle item. Button 2 will play the file, if you can hear it play then the codec is working. If you can't hear the file play then you may have found the problem, the middle item in the list at the bottom of the window is the codec that is in use. You can use the "InstalledCodec" application to disable that codec, then reload the codecs in GSpot and try again until you find the codec that may be the problem. :nuke:

Between these two recommended programs you should be able to solve any codec issues. :thumbsup:

Edited by oOtailspinOo

• 4 months later...

I admit Jimmitheking should not have called him a name but this is a irresponsible suggestion. In all my issues with the radio the .ini is the least likely issue. And to blanketly say delete it was wrong. Lisnpuppy, you should be angry at samwardell for giving faulty information. :ermm:

Openly criticizing a moderator is considered bad form, not only on Nexus, but also on many other forums.

Drawing attention to yourself when you also broke the rules by creating another account in violation of the 'one account per person' rule is

unwise, to put it mildly.

-LM

• 7 months later...