How i modded my game

Nyndra

For MODS: First i want to say that I'm not sure if this is in the right section but i did not want to post it in the Troubleshoot section so feel free to move it if you think it belongs there!

Okey so i gave this answer to someone in the troubleshoot section but i think it deserves more views to help new modders on how to get starting! So yeah this is my story on what I learned so far.

"...Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime..."

I started modding myself few days ago I did not try Skyrim for over a year and I decided few days ago to purchase the Legendary Edition of this lovely game and test the the power of my rig.

GTX 780 Overclocked,

i7 4770k,

16GB RAM,

240GB EVO SSD - Purchased it for Skyrim+ it mods.

The first day I did run into many issues after randomly installing mods left and right and expected it all to work well together.

This is what I've learned so far when it comes to modding and to get your mods running without conflicts there are 2 golden steps you need to make sure you followed and fully understand.

Patching - Known incompatibilities for certain mods you installed, And where to get the patch for a workaround if there are one available.

LoadOrder - Knowing how your Loading order should look, Best advice would be to install BOSS and let it sort it out for you once you installed them all it will usually give you information on how/why your game is CTD'ing, If it does not CTD it can still give you information on where to get compatibility patches for certain mods. Also make sure to read the Mod description for loadorder advices and double check ur BOSS's loadorder so everything is set correctly.

It is also important to know what could cause conflicts, Example would be:

I install Audio Overhaul Skyrim - As my Audio mod and i find this other good audio mod called Sounds of Skyrim. This is where I'm thinking, 2 Audio mods. There MUST be a conflict somewhere. So i go into the mod description / comment section of both mods author's site to see if there could be a conflict between them.

You need to think logically always when installing new mods.

Audio + Audio mod = Conflict, most of the time as an example.

Texture + Audio mod = Works, there is noway a texture based mod would conflict with audio for example.

I'm going to give you a few very basic adviced to get ur skyrim to look beutiful and compatible with the mods you want to run.

1. Read the Mod Author's description, on each on of all the mods it will save you A lot of time and troubleshooting will be much easier. Most of the time it is very well explained with known Compatibility/Incompatibility mods and they usually direct you to patches or other way to get a workaround. Getting mods to work flawlessly together is a pain and by not reading the description will give you many problems and it will be very hard to track down all ur issues at once.

2. Install mods carefully and organized, by this I mean it would be smart to install ur mods in a more organized way using NMM.

Example: When I installed all my mods i went step by step installing them all using Nexus Mod Manager.

STEP 1 - I started with Unofficial patches - Which fixes tons of bugs for all the DLC's + Skyrim.

STEP 2 - I then continued to my Graphics mods - The mods that make my skyrim better looking (Weather mods, Lightning mods, Texture mods, Flora mods, Water mods) + All its compatibility patches by reading mod descriptions.

STEP 3 - I then installed major Gameplay mods - The mods that improve my gameplay and makes it tons more fun (Frostfall, SkyRe) + All its compatibility patches by reading mod descriptions.

STEP 4 - I then installed Personal MUST have mods - Mods that is a must have mods for me personally, (Auto Unequip Ammo, Duel sheath redux, Wet and cold, Run for your lives, Footprints, Deadly Dragons, Realistic Humanoid Running Speed, XP32's Animation mod, Skyfalls and Skymills Enhanced Blood Textures and such + All its compatibility patches by reading mod descriptions.

Step 5 - This is where I started installing Armor/Weapon mods such as Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons, Winter is Coming + All its compatibility patches by reading mod descriptions.

Step 6 - I started installing NPC mods - that increase my social experience/immersion by adding more NPCs to the world of skyrim (Inconseqential NPC's, Immersive Patrols, ... etc)

Step 7 - Here is where i installed my Audio mod - Only stick to 1 audio mod or you will run into trouble (Audio overhaul for Skyrim 2) I STRONGLY recommend it. + All its compatibility patches by reading mod descriptions.

Step 8 - Here is the most important part and should ONLY be done AFTER you installed all other mods if ur using SkyRe, Dual Sheath Redux etc. Use the ReProccer to located in ur "Skyrim/Data/Skyproc Patchers" folder.

Step 9 - This is where i installed my ENB - RealVision a very nice ENB and i Strongly recommend it for people with High-end Rigs!

Step 10 - Okey the installation process are completed, Now to finish it all off CLOSE YOUR NEXUS MOD MANAGER, Open BOSS And SORT UR LOAD ORDER!!! then double check so everything is correct.

This is the result of days of modding (WELL WORTH IT):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB_sUlMiqLI

And here are some photos:

http://i.imgur.com/rNEVAPd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5dkfkTE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SyvSa24.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ys24v0u.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4ghWaWa.jpg

FULL ALBUM: http://imgur.com/a/r3Nat

I run my game with DxTory to cap my FPS to 60 for the stupid engine not to flip out on me, and i lowered my screen hz from 144 down to 60 to avoid Ghosting while capping fps.

I got stable 60 FPS with NO FPS drop because I'm running preformance version of few mods and ENB preset. My game looks amazing and runs incredible smooth even tho I did not max out the graphics.

I did try to maximize it with FULL preset from RealVision and HD FULL textures and my fps were around 40-50 fps but my GPU usage went up to 99% which is not recommended to play with but it was fun to try the power of my GFX:)

If ur interested in my mod setup i'll link it below :smile:

-MODS USED IN VIDEO/PICTURES BELOW-

Unofficial Patches

• Unofficial Skyrim Patch
  • Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
  • Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
  • Unofficial Hearthfire Patch

World Environment

• RealVision ENB - [Preset: Atmospheric, Performance]

• Enhanced Lightning and FX - with Enhancer

• Enhanced Lightning and FX - Dragonborn/Dawnguard Patch

• Climates of Tamriel

• Climates of Tamriel - Weather Patch

• Climates of Tamriel - Dawnguard/Dragonborn Patch

• Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - LITE Towns

• Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - LITE Riften

• Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - LITE Landscape

• Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - LITE Misc

• Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - LITE Dungeons

• Footprints

• Better Dynamic Snow

• Wet and Cold

• Lush Trees and Grass

• Realistic Water Two

• Skyfalls and Skymills

• Distant Detail - Hearthfire Edition

Armors/Weapons

• Winter is Coming

• Immersive Armors

• Immersive Weapons

Animations / Aesthetic / MUST HAVE mods

• Auto Unequip Ammo
  • Dual Sheath Redux
  • Dual Sheath Redux - Frostfall Patch
  • Dual Sheath Redux - Immersive Armors Patch
  • Dual Sheath Redux - SkyRe Patch
  • XP32 Maximum Skeleton

• Enhanced Blood Textures

• Enhanced Blood Textures - Dragonborn/Dawnguard Patch

• Realistic Humanoid Movement Speed

• Run For Your Lives

• SkyUi

Gameplay

• Skyrim Redone - SkyRe
  • Frostfall - Hypothemia Camping Survival

• Deadly Dragons

• Immersive Patrols

• Interesting NPCs

• Inconsequential NPCs

• Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade - with Dawnguard/Dragonborn

Audio

• Audio Overhaul Skyrim
  • Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Dragonborn/Dawnguard/Unofficial Patches
  • Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Climates of Tamriel Patch

• Audio Overhaul Skyrim - SkyRe Patch

• Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Enhanced Blood Textures Patch

• Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Wet and Cold Patch

This is my LOAD ORDER:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
AOS.esp
AOS2_DGDB_USKP Patch.esp
AOS2_CoT3_1_patch.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
Immersive Battles.esp
Immersive Brigands.esp
Immersive Dawnguard.esp
Immersive Dragonborn.esp
Immersive Mercenaries.esp
Immersive Patrols.esp
Immersive Travelers.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
Footprints.esp
SkyUI.esp
1nivWICCloaksCRAFT.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
SkyRe_Combat.esp
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp
SkyRe_StandingStones.esp
SkyRe_Survivalism.esp
AOS_SkyRe Patch.esp
Inconsequential NPCs.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
Distant DetailHF.esp
RealisticHumanoidMovementSpeed.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
AOS_EBT Patch.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_DB.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_Snow-40.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_NL2.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
SkyRe_Races.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Dawnguard.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Dawnguard.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Dragonborn.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
AOS_WetandCold Patch.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp
Pre ReProccer WAFR IA7 IW Patch.esp
ReProccer.esp
Post ReProccer Fixes IA7 IW Patch.esp

This is my guide on how I modded my skyrim, I started modding 3 days ago and now i can finally start playing :smile:

I had no experience what so ever before i began modding and i know it takes a lot of reading, basic knowledge & patience to get it all to work together!

But i finally did it and I just felt like shareing what i learned :smile:

Enjoy.

Edited by Nyndra