CTD at beginning of Alternate Starts when changing zones

TheSkeward

My game crashes to desktop when I try to enter Blackreach from the Necromancer start in Live Another Life. I'm able to run around inside the room where I start, picking things up, reading books, etc, but when I try to leave, it crashes. I started a new file and immediately left the room before picking anything up and it allowed me to leave without crashing, but it crashed upon re-entry. When it crashes, I see a loading screen (although sometimes there's no text or picture, just my level), and then after about the time it takes to load a zone, it crashes to desktop with no error messages. I tried one of the other starts (don't know which one, I chose Surprise Me), and it was able to load up the starting area (I was in a house), but it crashed before I could do anything.
I'm using an Intel G840 CPU (2.8GHZ), an AMD Radeon HD 6700 series (approx total memory 2547 mb). I have 4 GB of RAM and 174 GB free on my hard drive. This is a desktop computer.
The game is located in the typical install path (C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim. This is a 32-bit operating system. Skyrim is version 1.9.32.0, and I have the Dawnguard, Dragonborn, and Hearthfire DLCs. I'm using NMM mod manager and SKSE version 1.6.16. I've used BOSS to sort my load order, and I've also tried LOOT. I've used TES5Edit to clean all the dirty edits in the mods I'm using. Here is my BOSS log.

Skyrim.esm Active
Update.esm Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Version 2.0.3 Active
Dawnguard.esm Active
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Version 2.0.3 Active
HearthFires.esm Active
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Version 2.0.3 Active
Dragonborn.esm Active
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Version 2.0.3 Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
ApachiiHair.esm Version 1.4 Active
AmethystHollowsMaster.esm Active
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Version 3.1 Active
MTAutoStorage.esm Active
HighResTexturePack01.esp Active
HighResTexturePack02.esp Active
HighResTexturePack03.esp Active
Brawl Bugs CE.esp Active
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp Version 1.1.6 Active
Chesko_Frostfall.esp Active
Clanking Armor.esp Active
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp Active
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp Active
Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and Booze.esp Active
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp Active
WetandCold.esp Version 1.402 Active
Footprints.esp Active
SkyUI.esp Version 4.1 Active
iHUD.esp Active
AlchemistsHiddenValley.esp Active
AmethystHollowsUpdate.esp Active
aGreyLedgeManorLITE.esp Active
Stag'sRest.esp Active
AchieveThat.esp Version 3.2.1 Active
BetterQuestObjectives.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-DBForevertoMisc.esp Active
Headtracking.esp Active
SFO - Dragonborn.esp Active
Convenient Horses.esp Version 14950 Active
Note: Do not clean. "Dirty" edits are intentional and required for the mod to function.
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp Active
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp Version 1.8 Active
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp Active
3DNPC.esp Active
CompanionValfar.esp Active
Odvar.esp Active
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp Version 2.3.6b Active
BetterQuestObjectives-AlternateStartPatch.esp Active
ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp Active
Purewaters.esp Version 4.6 Active

Thanks in advance.

Edit: At the behest of some people in the chat room, I tried uninstalling Alternate Start and reinstalling Better Quest Objectives without the Alternate Start option, then running BOSS again, then running TES5Edit again, then running Skyrim through SKSE again. It went to the main menu without any apparent problems, but when I started a new game it immediately crashed to desktop. I'm flummoxed.

Edited by TheSkeward

Hi, Just helped someone else get thru this...should just link the post here...lol

The tutorial is one big huge script. You are part of that script. Adding any mods with scripts are a recipe for disaster.

So untick everything you don't need for character creation. Make it thru to the outside world, once you see that the tutorial is finished :Save outside the cave. Make a second save, never overwrite that first save. Exit the game and add one mod. Load the second save (remember never use the first save), Wait a few mins, Exit and repeat for every mod you have. To force an MCM menu to register> Press {ESC} >Click on Mod configuration > Exit back to game> wait for "MCM has registered a new menu" (top left). Save and Exit.

IF you do not have the patience to add one mod at a time,,,never ever complain about crashes!

Usage for the First ever save = that save will not have any mods in it. IF the game will not load with your load order sometime in the distant future...that save might load.

:)

@camaro - I'm guessing you've never used Alternate Start? It skips Helgen entirely, so you won't be going through the tutorial. Been using that mod for nearly a year starting in several different locations. I even turn the mods on in the MCM menu before talking to Mara to set my starting location via her Divine Intervention. When you have AS installed, first thing that appears during New Game is character creation, then you find yourself in a room with a Statue of Mara, and a Skeleton. After talking to Mara, you'll spawn in a location of your choosing, bypassing the entire Helgen scene. The Main Quest won't be even initiated. During my past 5 starts, I've taken to starting in the College of Winterhold as a new initiate.

@TheSkeward - post your mod list. Also try using another option, start as a Patron of the Local Inn, or a New Initiate of a Guild, or even Shipwrecked off the coast, or Arrived by Ship. Check if the problem is only for Necromancer, or the entirety of Alternate Start in your case.