What are the legal issues with uploading voice files?

2CoolCarlos

Plenty of the companions in FO3 and FNV reupload the game's voice files in the downloaded mod package. But I am told game content can't be uploaded online. What is the copyright law on this.

Ultamitly, I want to add voice files to Skyrim. To do that, I need to create new lip files entirely, but they would be based on fallout's voice mp3s. Or I can voice them myself or find an actor, but that's not the question.

Cross-game content is expressly forbidden, except for games that allow their stuff to be used (The Witcher 2, for example. CD Projekt made TW2's assets free for anyone to use, and you can find some mods that use that content). Since last i checked F3 and NV are still in that no-go category, while obviously there's nothing stopping you from using the lines for your own use, actually putting them up for download in any way will bring the hammer down on you.

As a workaround, you can create your new Lip Sync files based on Fallout content and re-record the actual dialog yourself, but state in the mod's Readme that Fallout (whichever version) is required, and direct the end-user to copy the specific audio files from their FO installation to their Skyrim/Data folder.

However, your recordings have to sync to the originals in meter and length, or else the actors in the game won't sync up.

But then that's also a problem in vanilla Skyrim, so there's that.

There is a LOT of FO3 content already in the NV files that is not being used in the NV game - because that content is already in the game - it is OK to use for NV mods. :thumbsup:

However, if it is in FO3 but NOT included in the NV files, it is not allowed. :no: