Creation kit crashes on opening esp

Kurzusseus

I've run into a problem with creation kit. I've been working on this esp for months now and devoted a lot of work to it.

Recently I had an issue where it wouldn't open because it was missing a master-file but this was an older version.

When I try to open my esp in the creation kit it shows this message

http://i62.tinypic.com/evcthx.png

before crashing.

Can someone please help?

Verify both the game & the Creation Kit thru Steam

Start the game via standard launcher to create the ini files

Redo any necessary edits

Follow the "Additional one time step" at this link: http://www.creationkit.com/Tutorial:_How_to_use_third-party_mod_ESP_records_in_a_new_ESP

If using a non-English setup, read the "Notes" section at this link: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Creation_Kit#Notes

Please note, if you have any mods that modified any original loose stock files those will need to be uninstalled prior and re-installed after.

Thanks for a quick response but could you be a little more clear with the any mods that modified any original loose stock files?

I'm terribly sorry but I don't know what that means.

and when you say Redo any necessary edits, do you mean cleaning skyrim master files dirty edits?

*Edit

I pretty much followed the steps you gave above, aside from the parts I didn't quite understand

and I still get the error. Once I know what the other parts are, I'll retry, so I'll be awaiting

from either your response, or someone else- thanks for the help so far.

Edited by FalloutZaxus

When you verify the game & the Creation Kit through Steam it reverts all modified files back to original status. That means if you cleaned DLC, you need to clean them again. If you made changes to the ini files, you need to make those changes again. If some mod installed files that overwrote any original files, that mod would need to be installed again. You should know what mods have done what to your game, I do not.

Cannot make it any clearer than that.

If you still have issues after ensuring everything has been restored to stock, try loading the master file(s) for your plugin. If the master file(s) load, then perhaps it is something you did to your plugin.

As a side note, when creating a mod you should really only have whatever necessary mods that are required to make the mod. You can add more later for testing purposes. But by having more mods than required to make the mod you do run the risk of having something changed that might be fine game-wise but cause problems with the CK. It is a minimal risk but it is still there.

K, I figured out the problem. When reverting back to my defaults the ini files forgot to add Dawnguard, and dragon born bsa packages to the load.

So it was crashing upon trying to open Dawnguard.esp and Dragonborn.esp its fixed now.