Infinite Loadscreen (on Cell-Change?)

zod18

Ok makes sense, thank you.

I've installed ENBoost but unfortunately it didn't change anything, still occasional ILS. Should I try out any changes in enblocal.ini?

Also there is no wyrmstooth.ini in my folder, maybe the latest version comes without that.

I changed uGridsToLoad back to 5 and it seems to be stable now, hopefully it stays that way.

But I always thought people are running 7, 9 or even 11 grids without any problems ...is that true?

Also I felt like ENBoost is more of a deadweight rather than improving anything so I disabled it.

DOH!!! We posted at the same time!!!

Been very busy lately, not ignoring you...

If the enblocal.ini is set up for ENBoost (primarily, UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true), the only other settings you might need to change are for video card memory. A safe setting is just the amount of vram on your graphics card (in MiB). My entry is: VideoMemorySizeMb=2048. Don't second-guess Boris; his default settings are best, unless you need to tweak a particular model video card or add a proxy dll.

Okay, you've done a lot of stuff to give Skyrim the best shot of performing well, but it hasn't helped. By sheer process of elimination, we are back at your ini files. They are so important to game operation and troubleshooting that having non-vanilla ini files now is going to limit whatever advice I might be able to give. I guarantee you that this is not just my personal belief about ini files; you can check the STEP website (they have enormous numbers of mods working together) or some popular stability guides like this, and this.

I know you like your graphics at this point, but it is entirely possible that an ini setting (or two) is promoting your ILS. This is what I would do now:

1. Save/rename your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files.

2. Run Skyrim from Steam to generate default files. Just Quit at the Launcher screen.

3. Fire up Skyrim as you normally would.

4. At the Main loading screen, don't click anything. Open the console (~ key), type in the following command, then hit Enter

coc riverwood

5. Make a named save (to prevent over writing another savegame). Open the console and type the following, then hit Enter:

save whatevernameyouwant

6. Test your game on vanilla ini files. You can always go back to your savegames by restoring the old ini files and Loading a savegame.

7. Vurt's stress test is good for this. Open the console in Riverwood and type in the following, hit Enter after each line, close the console.

player.setav speedmult 1000

tcl

tgm

8. The above commands will let you fly around Skyrim at warp speed (try sprinting if your speed doesn't change), really stressing the game engine. Errors typically show themselves pretty quick. A LOT of stutter is not a problem during the test.

9. Fly around sorta close to the roads and follow them to other cities. Look for a repeatable crash (CTD, ILS, freeze)

I can't crash my game (142 mods) doing this for over 20 minutes, while also entering cities along the way. To enter a city, don't fly through the walls or over them; work up to the gate until you get the "Enter Wherever" prompt and enter with the activate key (E). Leave the same way or you'll find yourself in some Plane of Existence other than Nirn. :ohmy:

A fairly stable game setup will allow this test to be run for 6 or 7 minutes before randomly crashing. The longer, the better. Make note of any repeatable crash areas/locations. You could try this stress test on a current savegame first just to see how long it lasts, then compare it to a vanilla ini test and see if there is a big difference.

Edited by Lord Garon

I changed uGridsToLoad back to 5 and it seems to be stable now, hopefully it stays that way.

But I always thought people are running 7, 9 or even 11 grids without any problems ...is that true?

Also I felt like ENBoost is more of a deadweight rather than improving anything so I disabled it.

Some people have very reliable high ugrids settings, but it needs a careful workup to get there. ENBoost may not instantly DEMONSTRATE any benefit, but it does some "good" things behind the scenes, just like Sheson's patch.

In any case, I'm glad you got a more stable game. If you want to go back to ugrids=7, I would try it from vanilla ini files. Get default ini files, then ONLY change ugrids to 7. (the game engine will set "uExterior Cell Buffer" automatically) If it works okay, then start tweaking other ini entries until a problem shows up, then back that last change out.

DOH!!! We posted at the same time!!!

Been very busy lately, not ignoring you...

Yes, too funny :D

No problem at all, you've been more than helpful already :smile:

I will continue playing now with 5 grids and once the issues come back I'll try the stress test & try out the original INI-files.

Thanks a lot for all your support!

Some people have very reliable high ugrids settings, but it needs a careful workup to get there. ENBoost may not instantly DEMONSTRATE any benefit, but it does some "good" things behind the scenes, just like Sheson's patch.

I'm sure it does but I have bad experiences with third party programs and post processing ...but once I notice any issues I'll definately try it out again, Now it's just a matter of putting the "d3d9.dll" back into the folder to make it work again.

Edited by zod18