Goodbye Everyone

Darkh Templar

As Switch may remember, the first time I was ever offline for a long time was because a lightning strike fried all the electronics in my house and I was unable to do anything for over a month until the power cables were changed and my family raised enough money to replace all the molten electronics.

Now, It would seem that the presiding divine entity has decided to play another cruel (and life-threatening) joke on me. Some 2 hours ago, I got back from school and decied to play some Red Alert 2, for old time's sake. While it was loading the save, i first smelled burning rubber and a second later my whole PC tower errupted in, what can best be described as "blazing inferno". So now not only am I without a computer, I also have a really nice charred peice of wall to look at.

So until an Alienware delivery van magically appears in front of my house or I get 4000 Kn for a new computer I will be offline.

Hope this self-centered rant doesn't piss anybody off, but I just had to tell somebody. And since I don't really talk to real people... well, the choice was obvious.

Post ya later, Darkh Templar.

Geez! That sucks. Good thing you weren't hurt. Electrics really don't seem to like you do they? :P

Moral of the story: if you're on the computer and smell strong burning, shut it off at the wall without even thinking a second longer. ^^;

Oh well, see you in the distant future.

Damn. I feel your pain mate, that happened to me (apart from the towering inferno, mine was more of a smell of burning followed by black smoke). Hope you get back on your gaming feet soon :)

how does that happen? I've never had my tower overheat once, but that's cause I do a monthly dust cleaning on the outside and inside of the tower, including the fans and so forth. I also check my cables behind my desk to make sure nothing is doing something it isn't supposed to. Just bad karma, perhaps mate?

The PSU on mine went - I'd just moved house and it must have gotten knocked and shorted. Scared the hell out of me, I beleive I actually made a small wailing sound of horror as my baby went up in black smoke :ohmy:

I imagine something similar happened to Templar - the internal bits of a piece can't erupt into fire, at least not to the extent Templar explains. My guess is PSU.

• 2 weeks later...

I also had like Peregrine's problem....electronics burning smell followed by black smoke pouring from the back of the purple PC tower - my hubby was fast enough to shut it off then before flames. Mine was caused by faulty wiring in our music/art studios building coupled with the fact that the guys in the attached piano refurbishing warehouse were running a monster compressor that was the wrong wiring code type for the building. Whatever!?

After having to replace almost every major peice of hardware in my old purple comp - motherboard, video card, sound card, processor, etc....we decided about a year later to get me a sweet purple Alienware with glass viewing side window, multi-fans, wrapped silver cords n wires, all I need is a violet neon light and I'll be set. The old purple? Donated to the little girls down at the church - it still works after all the new components in it.

ouch...that's unlucky

my advice: don't go anywherre near electrics...you seem to have the worst luck :P

on another note, I have never had this happen to me...I don't clean my computer often but due to upgrading a couple of years ago I did need to get a new heat sink and fan...a year later after that my PSU was acting up (running louder than usual and sounding like a jet taking off) so before it got any worse I replaced it

the only problems I have ever had with my PC is that it sometimes switches itself off or hits me with the blue screen of death yet when I run my security progs they show nothing...I think my PC had evolved :P

• 4 weeks later...

Ixnos,

Are you telling ME to stay away from anything electronic? You've hit the nail on head, if so. My hubby (a A+ Hardware Technician) calls me the techno-goof because I am so technically challenged. On every level, mind you. We live in Florida and I have a kick *ss weather radio for hurricane season ... but I can't use it - because I cannot figure out how to reset the alarm. Which goes off at some unspecified ungodly hour of the early morning when we definitely don't arise.

Only the hubano can get the darn alarm on silence. In fact, I have to always keep the paperwork to my watches because within 6 months, I forget totally how to reset for Daylights Savings Tiime.

So I guess some of us don't marry so much for convenience but outa sheer DESPERATION!!! hahaha

Just kidding there, his giant man sized brain was a definite additional asset ... but not the main lure. *wink wink*

;) Watch me get banned now for suggestive content ... but this is purely innocent, I assure you.

• 1 month later...

I'm baaaaaaack!

Heh. I gots me a brand-spankin' new PC (Athlon 3Ghz, R X900 sth and a nice fat 160 Gb drive). And i also bought a nice, red fire extinguisher :) Heh, no more uncontrollable, blazing infernos :closedeyes:

And on a sidenote, i apologize to the Moderator (or Admin, or whoever) for necroing the thread, but it seemed kinda pointless to start a new one.

Archived