Can't Interact with Certain People/Items

velociraptor24

Here is some important information, I had a mod called "Animations". And people had a glitch in which you could not interact with some items/people. But I long since deleted that. (Also I did a 1 by 1 check of all the mods I have, and none of them are causing the problem).

Hey! You are the only person who seems to suffer from exactly the same problem. I couldn't google a single case of this weirdness.

Now, just to make sure it's the same thing, are the symtoms like this?

NPCs you can't interact with: they worked fine before, but suddenly won't open dialogue at all?

Items: you can't pick them up, but you can move them around by holding the activate key?

I also had containers stuck: they wouldn't open, but messing around with console commands, they were otherwise ok (as in items were still inside etc.).

Also, when you try to interact with anything of the above, do you just hear a click sound, but nothing happens?

All of this is completely random.

P.S. Instead of BOSS, use LOOT. The reason is BOSS is 100% dependant on entries in its masterlist, which is no longer being updated. LOOT on the other hand primarily sorts mods automatically, with just a bit of extra conditions added by the masterlist.

Edited by Octopuss

I have the same problem octopuss, the main person i have found is irileth, at the part where you go to talk to balgruff in the second main questline mission. I have even tried console comands after reloading the save and making new saves failed. I would appreciate it if you could share any ways to fix this you find with me.

I don't have any solution I can share. But! I removed the Animations mod, and nothing bugged out since. It's only been less than two days, though, so it might still happen if it's not the cause.

The bad news - in case you haven't figured it out yet - is that once this happens, there's no way to fix it. It's something that went wrong and is sitting in your savegame. If it's an important item or NPC, the best you can do is start a new game. It sucks, I know. I did it at least 5 times in last 2 weeks. Tens of hours wasted. I am hoping I found the cause.

P.S. If it really is Animations, deactivating the "block activation" setting (basically selecting the safe of the two options) might work.

• 2 months later...

I have had this exact problem plaguing my save I lost the ability to talk to Lydia, Ria, Tolfdir (Luckily after the main quest) the Inn keeper in Winterhold, Mathies in Falkreath, It has also happened to random objects such as tables, benches and clutter like potions, It happens to my followers all the time aswell and the only way to fix it is to reload a save before it happened, Im most likely going to encounter more and I just hope it won't interfere with a main quest. But come to think of it this problem happened as soon as I got Animations I will remove it right away, I know it won't fix my already bugged npcs but hopefully it will prevent this from happening in the future.

It's caused by the Animations mod, specifically by one of its features, but there's a setting to it which you can change to something more safe, so you don't need to uninstall it. It's something about activating objects. I tried it and it worked. Give it a try before you uninstall the mod, it would be a shame to get rid of it.

Edited by Octopuss

• 1 month later...

It's caused by the Animations mod, specifically by one of its features, but there's a setting to it which you can change to something more safe, so you don't need to uninstall it. It's something about activating objects. I tried it and it worked. Give it a try before you uninstall the mod, it would be a shame to get rid of it.

Thank you so very much Octopuss, this was the cause of my issue too. Turning off Block Activation, turning it back on, and then back off again fixed the broken npcs for me. I wasn't able to continue Dawnguard or Thieves guild due to this bug, thanks to you I don't need to pull my hair out any further in trying to find the cause.